Homemade CDs...

tonym

i put the label on the cdr

i use office max 1" x 2 5/8" labels

i've never had any probs

You probably will eventually. It's definitely not a good idea to purposefully unbalance your player. There are errors being generated. Some players are more susceptible to playback problems than others. Eventually, you may find a player that skips with these stickered CDs.

Also, I would be very leery of playing these CDs in a car player. Car players are typically slot-loaded. Stickers can get chewed up by the slot-loading mechanism and get the CD jammed in the player.

Kevin

I used to use paper labels and have not had any problems with them, but Kevin is right to caution against that method--it definitely opens possibilities for grief.

More recently, I have begun to use the LightScribe system, which burns the label onto the disc, using the disc burner. Iy comes with a program for creating the labels and the result can be great (depending only on your design, of course :)). A LaCie internal LightScribe burner can be had for $79--it will create CDs and DVDs, the latter in double layer, if needed, and it accepts -R as well as +R blanks. Yes, the discs cost a little more, but the price is not prohibitive.

Here's a sample--not the best reproduction, I simply threw the disc on the scanner.