Homemade CDs...

tonym

As of last week, we now have a groovy CD/DVD writer on our new desktop system. So as you can imaging, I'm running off CDs of my (legit) mp3 collection; concerts, live recording etc. Plus a few compilations for friends who I owe. Might even take part in the Blindfold test now :P .

But what i wanted to ask is, what software or programs do you fellas use in order to get a professional looking insert made?

Bear in mind I only have an inkjet printer, but I don't really want flashy images, I'd rather creat cool geometric graphics and neat fonts.

But the sizing and layout are very important obviously.

Any suggestions?

I do know there are some experts out there because I've seen some of your examples on this board. :)

I just picked up the Epson R200 inkjet printer for $80.  You can print directly on CDs with it (they have to be printable CDs, but they are cheap) and it comes with software to make the labels.  I've been using a combination of Photoshop and the Epson software to get really good results!

You can also buy paper that is cut specifically for labels and inserts.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7vbtm27t-dvd...63-shopping.htm

And for printable blanks:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...1Zs6a9KpnYTN44-

Edited by Christiern

I just picked up the Epson R200 inkjet printer for $80.  You can print directly on CDs with it (they have to be printable CDs, but they are cheap) and it comes with software to make the labels.  I've been using a combination of Photoshop and the Epson software to get really good results!

You can also buy paper that is cut specifically for labels and inserts.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7vbtm27t-dvd...63-shopping.htm

And for printable blanks:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...1Zs6a9KpnYTN44-

Chris, I would avoid stick-on labels. There is a much greater chance that you'll have playback problems now & in the future. They can unbalance the disc on many players and if you use a slot-loading machine, there's a good chance it could jam. Heat causes them to curl (and most players generate heat). If you don't have very smooth CD-Rs, they release after a while. I recommend avoiding them.

I have seriously looked at these new Epson printers. They are intriguing to say the least. How good do the labels look?

Kevin

Nero has a nifty utility for printing these as well.

Just downloaded a trial version of their software which has not only fulfilled my label-making needs, but has also solved the earlier problem I was experienceing recording from MD.

Job done!!!! :D:tup

(I now have a few fantastic Jazz On 3 gigs sitting on my shelves, designing the covers will be fun) :cool:

• 1 month later...

I'm still digging on my Epson, although I just had to replace the catridges (I did get a lot of use out of them) and basically for the cost of the catridges I could've bought a brand new printer!!! I guess that's how they get you.

The printable CDs look great, though! Actually, everything looks better printed on the R200 than my old Epson 777.

Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to

print on the inside of the "booklet" insert?

I put this in quotations cause I just really want to do the inside of

a single folded sheet. Never a problem with the outside

(which becomes the front and back of the booklet), but inside printing has

me wondering...

Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to

print on the inside of the "booklet" insert?

I put this in quotations cause I just really want to do the inside of

a single folded sheet. Never a problem with the outside

(which becomes the front and back of the booklet), but inside printing has

me wondering...

Older printer drivers had a setting to center the printing on the page. This option seems to have disappeared from every driver in existence. I know of no way to center the printing any more.

Oh yeah, if your driver has this, printing front/back is easy. You simply flip the paper over and print on both sides. Use thicker paper than usual though. The real cheap, thin paper allows the printing from one side to bleed through.

Kevin

I think most centering is now done through the program's print driver.  For instance, both Photoshop and Illustrator control centering on the page.

Unfortunately, I use PowerPoint for my CD artwork. PowerPoint has no feature to center the printing that I know of.

but you can center your text fields. Make two text fields (right hand and left hand or front and back of the booklet) and align them alongside eachother. Select both textfields and center them vertically by going through the [draw] > [align] menu on the lower left hand side of your screen. Then group them and align horizontally. Your booklet is centered now.

but you can center your text fields. Make two text fields (right hand and left hand or front and back of the booklet) and align them alongside eachother. Select both textfields and center them vertically by going through the [draw] > [align] menu on the lower left hand side of your screen. Then group them and align horizontally. Your booklet is centered now.

My layouts are all centered on the page. the problem is that when I print, the printer always moves everything toward the top of the sheet. This would be fine too since flipping it over and printing the "inside" should also come out on the top. Unfortunately, once you print one side on the "top", on the flipside, that's the bottom. I can't find any way to get the print in a different place.

Kevin

My layouts are all centered on the page. the problem is that when I print, the printer always moves everything toward the top of the sheet. This would be fine too since flipping it over and printing the "inside" should also come out on the top. Unfortunately, once you print one side on the "top", on the flipside, that's the bottom. I can't find any way to get the print in a different place.

Kevin

this is very strange as PowerPoint is actually there to make a.o. overhead-sheets where it's quite important that what you see is what you get...

there surely must be a way, but I can't tell you either. :mellow:

Centered prints... I found this page that answers some of the questions I have. From what it says, I'm basically screwed. :)

BTW, I have the same HP 895cxi printer that I've had since I had Windows 98. The printer driver used to have an option to center the print. I used it often. I cannot find any way to get this feature back. I'd even be willing to buy a driver that could do it.

does anyone else use address labels for their cdrs?

i've done this for all my cdrs

On the disc or as artwork? As I mentioned above, I would not recommend putting any stickers on any CD, especially a single sticker like an address label. That would almost guarantee that the disc would become unbalanced in the player.

Kevin

How long have you been doing this SS1?

Man, even when I use address labels on file folders,

they don't stay on longer than a coupla years.

If you can't print directly on the disc,

then a marker would probably be the next best.

Edited by rostasi