Favorite Jazz Drummer(Bop, Hard Bop)

mrjazzman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

sometimes i don't like what he is playing and he is not a favorite generally, but i really like barry altschul's sound palate. he gets some interesting sounds going.

Next to singers, drummers may be the most subjective of tastes, so these are some of my PERSONAL FAVORITES:

Papa Jo Jones

Roy Haynes

Elvin Jones

Billy Higgins

Tony Williams (up through Capt Marvels anyway)

Joe Chambers

Odie Payne, Jr.

Fred Below

Sam Lay

Al Jackson, Jr.

Clyde Stubblefield

John Starks

Mitch Mitchel

Micky Waller

Bill Stewart

Kenny Barron

danas: Kenny Barron the pianist? Hadn't a clue. Many great drummers played piano though - wasn't Art Blakey a pianist before he set to the drums? Eric Lewis quite an extrordinary drummer too. I love the fluidity between between rhythm and lyricism in this music, between melody and percussion. I suppose its Jazz's rhythms that make so many other musics dull in repect. Sidney Bechet wrote a beautiful story about his grandparents in his book in which he talks about rhythm and melody a bit and says something to the effect of: rhythm conveys a longing for Africa and the melody soothes slaves' souls in the new world. Wait, I'd better find the quote...

But re: drummers, Joe Chambers told me it all leads to Roy Haynes in a sense: from Zutty, Big Sid and Papa Jo to Klook, Max and Roy. I revisited that conversation when Elvin died and posted it on my blog, Contrarian Quarterly. Would be interested in your opinions. The blog may be best otherwise navigated by its categories: Elvin is there under Great Americans.

Edited by Elis

Guest akanalog

just wanto to give respect to art taylor. i believe he has been mentioned before, but i think he has often been taken for granted. after hearing how he could adapt to freer settings on the recent frank wright free america, i have even more respect for him.

Tony ..all time champeen ..

the established guys: ( aside from the obvious Roach, Blakey, Klook, et al )

DeJohnette

Joe LaBarbera

Gary Hobbs

Lewis Nash

Kenny Washington

Vinnie Coliauta

of the newer guys:

Greg Hutchison

Billy Kilson

Tain

El Negro

Yeah but you prefer Louie to Sonny - you are disqualified. :P

Guest akanalog

someone a bit outside the realm who i enjoy is luqman ali. every time i hear him, i enjoy what he is doing-though i could say the same for all of sun ra's drummers. i believe lex humphries was mentioned earlier in this thread.

i am also sorry i forgot to name joe chambers, who has also been mentioned. seeing chambers name on an album will make me want to investigate it, although i can't say i always care for his compositional style.