Bill Evans Complete Riverside 18 LP set

Edward

This weekend I spotted a factory sealed copy of the Complete Bill Evans on Riverside for a great price. Can anyone offer any input as to the sound quality of the lp's in this set? (I have read on this board that the sound quality of Riverside vinyl is variable.) Thanks!!!

I wonder if this is the Japanese vinyl issue of this set? Never heard it but my hunch is that it will be good !

I had this set back in my vinyl days, and as far as I can remember it's not bad. I'd get it if I were you, especially if you can get it at a good price.

I wonder if this is the Japanese vinyl issue of this set? Never heard it but my hunch is that it will be good !

I had this set back in my vinyl days, and as far as I can remember it's not bad. I'd get it if I were you, especially if you can get it at a good price.

Errr... No guarantees, of course :)

Sound quality couldn't be worse than CD version I own :angry: And you can have the only vinyl versions, AFIK, of the solo riverside records, or not?!!?

I say that at any price under 150 $, for a NM copy, would be a great catch.

Edited by porcy62

I purchased the factory sealed set for about $97.50 including tax. 

:tup:tup I'm pretty sure I've seen this go for $200-300, open. What year was it pressed? Mastering credit?

Brownie is right - the set is copyrighted 1984 and was remastered by Gary Hobish at Fantasy Studios in the summer of 1984.

Cool.  Report back on how you like it.  Did you have much Evans before this?

Thanks! Actually, I already had quite a bit of Evans (the Complete Verve box, , The Last Waltz, Turn out the Stars, the five SACD hybrids, and eight other discs), but I had held off on purchasing the Riverside material based upon feedback that I had received regarding the CD mastering.

I am bit of a neophyte where vinyl is concerned, and I should probably invest in a better turntable before too long. I have been spending too much of my discretionary income on bargain LP boxed sets. (Hey, Wolff, did you notice that Commodore III box (poorly titled on Ebay) that went for about $150.00 on July 1st? It drives me crazy because I was called away from my computer at work about five minutes before the auction ended and the winning bidder had purchased another copy of the set for about $380.00 (I think) just prior.)

Yes, I was thinking about you as I watched it go for a record low. :lol: We've all have been there. There will be another, I think. Also, you made up a little for the blunder with the set you just got.

1984 on your LP set. You may have missed when they went to digital, even for their LP's. I thoroughly enjoy all my analog Riverside reissues from the late 70's early 80's. All of the Fantasy/OJC LP's are from digital masters these days. They can sound just fine, but still...

See if you can test drive a used turntable and decent used phono stage from a local dealer to start to get an idea of what you are looking at. You never know, you could luck into something nice.

• 1 year later...