Sam Cooke

Soulstation1

I have both the hybrids (at least, I think there are only two), and they are pretty good. I don't know a thing about Sam Cooke, but the music is enjoyable and yes, the guy could sing. The wife also likes the music, which is always a plus.

I'm assuming "Portraits of a Legend" is pretty much a greatest hits package and "Night Beat" is one of Sam Cooke's best albums so I pretty much second the above reccomendations and would like to add (in whatever the current configuration is) the

recordings Sam Cooke made as lead singer for the SOUL STIRRERS. It's probably available on Specialty cds (which is Fantasy owned). Some great music and a great example of the influence of Gospel Music on R&B, etc.

They've been mentioned twice before, but once more won't hurt. The pop stuff is great, but under NO circumstances should you miss out on his gospel recordings with the Soul Stirrers:

Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers - Specialty 7009 (includes some early pop sides also)

The Soul Stirrers: Jesus Gave Me Water - Specialty 7031

The Soul Stirrers: The Last Mile of the Way - Specialty 7052

This music is classic, great, beautiful - whatever word you want to lay on it. And you don't have to be religious to be moved by it. Try one of these and you'll be listening to it for the rest of your life.

I have both the hybrids (at least, I think there are only two), and they are pretty good.  I don't know a thing about Sam Cooke, but the music is enjoyable and yes, the guy could sing.  The wife also likes the music, which is always a plus.

There are four ABCKO SACD hybrids:

Ain't That Good News

Sam Cooke at the Copa

Keep Movin' On

Portrait of a Legend

I recommend that you start off with Portrait of a Legend and then go from there. (Keep Movin' On is a compilation covering Sam Cooke's late career work.)

• 1 year later...

I remember when that Harlem Club tape was first uncovered in the 1980s. They were playing the whole thing on a radio show and I almost drove my car straight into the Piggly Wiggly store.

Thank God for that tape!

Edited by John L

great to see some sam sooke lovers here !

i have the "live at the harlem square club" cd (the jewel case rca cd from the late 80s, not the digipack one) twice in my collection - so who wants to have it for FREE ?? (near mint)

just shipping costs you will have to pay !

tom

• 6 years later...

416BEMPF30L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just purchased this collection of Sam with the Soul Stiirrers and have only scratched the surface of this fine collection. Looks like I've got some great listening for many years to come.

If you just started listening, just wait. It gets even better, in fact a lot better (excluding the first secular tracks that should have been programmed at the end). The gospel songs from 1954 on is just heaven to me.