Ellington recording

kh1958

I picked up a used Ellington CD today I'd never seen before on the J Bird label, Private Collection vol. 2, which has little information other than song titles, a date of 1953-54, and the statement that Paul Ellington picked the recordings out from the unissued Ellington "stockpile." The final two tracks are simply called Unknown Recording with Blues Guitarist. These two brief tracks are of a guitar jamming over the rhythm section for most of the track, with the band joining in towards the end. The tracks are live.

The guitarist is not a blues guitarist and in fact sounds like Django to me, on electric guitar. Has anyone else heard this CD? Is this reallly something newly issued? I know I've read Ellington did one tour with Django. Am I mistaken in my identification? Are there other recordings with Django that I've missed?

I'm pretty sure this is Django, from that tour. I haven't located my copy of the cd, but that is what is sticking in my head as a memory. . . . Maybe someone whose collection is not in perpetual chaos can give a more definitive response.

If it sounds like Django. . . well it likely IS.

I would take with a grain of salt any discographical information provided on the CD, as well as the supposed source. Who is Paul Ellington, anyway?

Django did tour with Ellington in late 1946. The only recording I've been able to find is from the Chicago Civic Opera House, November 10, 1946. Django performs three tunes which are entitled Blues, Improvisation No. 2, and Honeysuckle Rose. The second is a solo performance, and sounds like it is probably a Django original. On the other two, Django is backed by the rhythm section, with the full band coming in at the end.

I have this on Prima 01/02, a 2-LP set that appears to be of European, possibly Italian, origin.

There is no discographical information on the CD, except that the spine of the CD has the dates 1953-54. Paul Ellington is, I believe, Duke Ellington's grandson and leads the "Duke Ellington Orchestra" which plays one night a week at Birdland.

I would take with a grain of salt any discographical information provided on the CD, as well as the supposed source. Who is Paul Ellington, anyway?

Django did tour with Ellington in late 1946. The only recording I've been able to find is from the Chicago Civic Opera House, November 10, 1946. Django performs three tunes which are entitled Blues, Improvisation No. 2, and Honeysuckle Rose. The second is a solo performance, and sounds like it is probably a Django original. On the other two, Django is backed by the rhythm section, with the full band coming in at the end.

I have this on Prima 01/02, a 2-LP set that appears to be of European, possibly Italian, origin.

There is no discographical information on the CD, except that the spine of the CD has the dates 1953-54. Paul Ellington is, I believe, Duke Ellington's grandson and leads the "Duke Ellington Orchestra" which plays one night a week at Birdland. 

I've not heard this particular recording, but the way you describe it, it sounds like the Django with Ellington stuff I have heard.

Edited by Kalo

Okay, I have heard the cd today, dug it out from my hundreds of Ellington cds. . .

It's Django with Duke Ellington Orchestra, Chicago November 10, 1946. The material appears on the excellent two cd set The Great Chicago Concerts, on Music Masters.

Track 11 on this J Bird cd is "Ride Red Ride" on the Great Chicago Concerts cd one, and track 12 is "Honeysuckle Rose" on the same Chicago Concerts cd. (Also on the Chicago Concerts cd as mentioned above is "A Blues Riff" and "Improvisation #2". . . .)

As far as I can tell even though he had appeared with the Orchestra in Cleveland before this and Stl Louis and possibly other cities after this, this Chicago show is the sole known recording of Django with Ellington.

Thanks, you are a Duke among men.

Okay, I have heard the cd today, dug it out from my hundreds of Ellington cds. . .

It's Django with Duke Ellington Orchestra, Chicago November 10, 1946.  The material appears on the excellent two cd set The Great Chicago Concerts, on Music Masters.

Track 11 on this J Bird cd is "Ride Red Ride" on the Great Chicago Concerts cd one, and track 12 is "Honeysuckle Rose" on the same Chicago Concerts cd.  (Also on the Chicago Concerts cd as mentioned above is "A Blues Riff" and "Improvisation #2". . . .)

As far as I can tell even though he had appeared with the Orchestra in Cleveland before this and Stl Louis and possibly other cities after this, this Chicago show is the sole known recording of Django with Ellington.

Looks like your LP is missing a fourth performance: Django plays five choruses on "Ride, red, ride" on that concert.