KINKS FANS?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I have a question. I've long loved the Kinks, but mostly listen to them via streaming. I was thinking of picking up the key material on CD.

Here's what I am interested in:

1) The core albums: Kinda Kinks or Kink Kontroversy through Lola (or Muswell Hilbillies)

2) Key singles / non-album tracks (including the classic early singles)

Here's what I am not interested in:

3) Alternate mixes, rough takes, etc

Are the 2 CD deluxe editions of the albums the best path to take? I realize they include a bunch of #3, but I can live with that in order to get #2.

While this 5-CD box, released late last year, seems to have some of what you're not looking for, it seems to have everything you are looking for:

81Fd8NKn15L._SL1500_.jpg

Hey guys,

I have a question. I've long loved the Kinks, but mostly listen to them via streaming. I was thinking of picking up the key material on CD.

1) The core albums: Kinda Kinks or Kink Kontroversy through Lola (or Muswell Hilbillies)

Are the 2 CD deluxe editions of the albums the best path to take? I realize they include a bunch of #3, but I can live with that in order to get #2.

While this 5-CD box, released late last year, seems to have some of what you're not looking for, it seems to have everything you are looking for:

81Fd8NKn15L._SL1500_.jpg

Doesn't this (and The Best of the Kinks, to an even larger degree) omit some album tracks?

Hey guys,

If you want the core albums, definitely get the expanded editions. They contain mono and stereo, and also contain most of the oddball tracks that found their way onto Kronikles and Great Lost Kinks Album. I would start with Village Green, Face to Face and Something Else, and then work backward and forwards as you see fit.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 8 years later...

Btw I ended up exploring the albums from the debut through Arthur, all on Spotify.  I was able to also explore a lot of the great non album tracks.

Personal taste but I’d rank in terms of quality:

Face to Face (4.5 stars)

Something Else (4.5 stars)

Village Green Preservation Society (4 stars)

Arthur (3.5 stars)

Kinda Kinks (3.5 stars, largely on the strength of the 1965 singles which are bonus tracks on the Spotify version)

Kink Kontroversy (3 stars)

Kinks (2 stars)