Live 8

Thoughts? Comments?

I know there were a few musicians who said it was full of shit politics-wise and turned it down.

how so? I watched a few things, like the Pink Floyd reunion, but the coverage was mostly terrible (lots of commercials, cutting away during a performance, too much rap) so I don't think I missed much

Gail spent a few hours at the Philadelphia shows and had a great time. She heard Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, DMB, and a few others. She said the Parkway (some of you know what I mean; it's a mile-long street modelled after Paris that leads from the Art Museum back to Center City) was packed with people, but that the vibe was mellow and cool. Very diverse crowd; people smiling, giving each other space, generally happy. Easy to find a space in the shade to chill and listen, or you could get up close if you wanted. Three arrests for disorderly and several heat stroke victims; not too damn bad for what was apparently about a million people in downtown Philly on a hot July day. Very impressive.

Wish I'd been there.

:(

Gail spent a few hours at the Philadelphia shows and had a great time.  She heard Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, DMB, and a few others.  She said the Parkway (some of you know what I mean; it's a mile-long street modelled after Paris that leads from the Art Museum back to Center City) was packed with people, but that the vibe was mellow and cool.  Very diverse crowd; people smiling, giving each other space, generally happy.  Easy to find a space in the shade to chill and listen, or you could get up close if you wanted.  Three arrests for disorderly and several heat stroke victims; not too damn bad for what was apparently about a million people in downtown Philly on a hot July day.  Very impressive.

Wish I'd been there.

:(

And day after tomorrow another few hundred thousand at the same location for the free Elton John July 4th concert.

Turned it on....

Brad Pitt lecturing us on giving...

Madonna singing and holding, I guess, an african lady's hand and dragging her around the stage in a show of "unity" while she sang one of her pop hits with a choir...

Seemed super contrived. I guess it's heart is in the right place, but it didn't have that feeling that Live Aid had. I don't think people care that much about africa right this minute, we're kind of pre-occupied with the middle east sad to say.

Watched a broadcast from all the cities and what can I say... LOTS of off-key warbling and that's about it. As far as the music's concerned, I think the Philly show was ony of the worst (at least most of it). Lots of pointless rappers. Will Smith... Linkin Park... Especially the Black Eyed Peas was painful to watch (and listen). The freakish Barbie doll chick didn't even know the lyrics to the Bob Marley song. In the other cities, ridiculous efforts like Craig David's butchering of the Beatles' "Come Together", or lame 80's relics like A-Ha, Duran Duran, and Roxy Music were just embarrassing to watch.

At the Hyde Park concert, the "veterans" definitely made the night. Sting, The Who, Pink Floyd - all sounded terriffic.

Edited by Kari S

Saw most of the Hyde Park thing on TV. Madonna put on a good show and got the crowd worked up and the Floyd were worth checking out, with the unlikely sight of Roger Waters back in the lineup. McCartney wrapped things up nicely. Not particularly my scene on the whole but seemed to be a good show.

I saw parts of it. Pink Floyd was exciting. I taped the whole think, I'll probably be fast fowarding though most of it. I wouldn't mind seeing just the music, MTV cut in with the hosts in the middle of Wish You Were Here. <_<

How was the Pink Floyd reunion?  I wish I'd watched it!

Guy

It was good, Money seemed to be a little off, as if Roger was playing slightly ahead of the rest of them, at least in the beginning. It was disturbing to see all the backup singers on Comfortably Numb (I thought that was more of a Gilmour-led live Floyd dressing, something that Roger would have not allowed). I wish they had at least shown Richard Wright more than once, too-the only time I caught him on camera was when he was playing those little fills after the guitar solo on Money-otherwise you wouldn't have known he was even there. Also, I didn't know Roger Waters could smile!! Particularly at Gilmour while he was singing. Makes you wonder if they will reunite for a tour, like so many others have done. I'd like to see them tear into some of the more obscure stuff, from the early days

I know there were a few musicians who said it was full of shit politics-wise and turned it down.

how so?

As far as I know, Damon Albarn of Blur, Noel Gallagher of Oasis, ?uestlove of The Roots, amongst others, have criticized it as being more show that action. Cancelling the debt and reworking trade laws of corrupt African governments may do more harm than good in the end. Bob Geldof recently said Bush has "actually done more than any American president for Africa." The heart is in the right place, though.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Good news... AOL has now chopped up the performance so you don't have to sit through Robbie Williams to hear Pink Floyd.

Finally saw the entire Floyd performance. I was surprised by the degree that Roger was willing to take a back seat to Dave, and also by how much Dave seemed to give him the cold shoulder. Also, wasn't it a little strange that they almost completely ignored Rick Wright? (Who looked a little coked-out. Is he on drugs again? Who dug him out from the cemetary?) Nick Mason gave the solid, near-metronomic performance we'd expect out of him.

Nice to see those guys without all the excess musicians and singers that have crowded the stage on the last two Pink Floyd tours. I'd dig a reunion, bigtime. And dedicating WYWH to Syd was a nice touch.

I watched one tune from the Who set -- "Won't Get Fooled Again" -- and it was lackluster by comparison. Still, a pretty good performance.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Very cool performance. I've never had a problem with the "Water-less" Floyd, specifically because I don't really like the later period stuff once he took over total control of the writing. However, it was nice to hear him back in the bass chair and to hear him croak his way through Comfortably Numb.

Gilmour, as always, was perfection. Gilmour has always been "Pink Floyd" as far as I'm concerned....