FS: Steve Hoffman's Chuck Berry CDs

I'm selling these Chuck Berry CDs which were produced and remixed by Steve Hoffman:

Rock 'n Roll Rarities - Chess CHD-92521 SOLD

B000002Q64.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More Rock 'n Roll Rarities - Chess CHD-9190 SOLD

B00000DRLR.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Condition: near mint.

Price: $25 for both, plus shipping

Shipping, including packing (the rates are rather high due to the current dollar/euro exchange rate):

priority mail, at buyer's risk (will ship by priority mail to the EU, Norway, Switzerland, United States, Canada, Japan and Australia only):

- in the EU and to Norway and Switzerland: $3.50

- to the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia: $6.50

registered priority mail (worldwide):

- in Europe: $8

- outside Europe: $10

Payment: no cash, checks or money orders; PayPal accepted; in the euro zone: BIC/IBAN electronic bank transfer is preferred, but PayPal is OK.

No trades

Please PM me if interested.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'll have to check out his work.

Any opinion among Organissimites?

I have much of his vinyl work(reissues): Peggy Lee, King Cole, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Doors, Beach Boys, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, etc.... :tup:tup In this area, vinyl reissues, he is one of the best. Sad to say, I have none of the 100 Fantasy catalogue titles he is doing for Analogue Productions in the 45RPM vinyl format. From what I hear, they are the real deal!!

Steve Hoffman's remasterings sound very natural to me. He doesn't use compression/maximization and also doesn't manipulate EQ.

As far as I know he mainly works in the rock/pop field, but he has also done a lot of jazz remasters, both for LP and CD. His DCC remasters are great; unfortunately, these are all OOP and much sought after. He's currently doing remasterings for the Audio Fidelity label.

Thanks, J.A.W.,

So, as a Berry fan, do I have to get these? What's special about them? Are they especially acute and detailed? Are they scarce?

These two CDs contain demos, remixes, alternates, etc. Don't know if they're scarce, but I've seen them a few times on Amazon.com

Thanks, J.A.W.,

So, as a Berry fan, do I have to get these? What's special about them? Are they especially acute and detailed? Are they scarce?

These two CDs contain demos, remixes, alternates, etc. Don't know if they're scarce, but I've seen them a few times on Amazon.com

I think the first of these is still in print, but the second is fairly scarce and well worth finding.

By the way, as noted elsewhere here, Hoffman has done really nice remasterings of Miles' Prestige work, some Sonny Rollins titles from Riverside and Contemporary, a few Scott LaFaro-era Bill Evans titles, Coltrane, and others. As Hans says, there a very natural sound in his work, musical, without the harshness that can turn up in some more recent (and more aggressive) remasterings. If you stumble on any of the DCC gold titles at a reasonable price, check it out.