Just won the Curtis Fuller Mosaic LP set on eBay

DrJ

My only other Mosaic LP set of 50s and beyond era Blue Note recordings is the Ike Quebec 45 sessions set - fantastic, in fact one of my favorite collections of music of all time, but also from digital masters so not truly the vinyl experience in its purest form.

So I'm EXCITED :party: about scoring the Fuller set, by my understanding these Q LP Blue Note Mosaics are fully ANALOG...can those who have it chime in regarding sonics?

I already have the CD set (and will be putting it up on eBay once the LP set arrives safely) so I am "fully" (bad pun) aware of the greatness of the music.

Pretty sure it should be real nice, though I do not have it.  Basing this on the Q LP sets I do have, from this period. I hope to get this one soon.  This one has not been around much at all recently,  and you got it for a fair price.  Enjoy!!

Congrats Dr. J!

Euclid Joe is a pleasure to deal with and I'm lucky that he's here in my own backyard... BUT, I can't help but feel a little annoyed. It wasn't too long ago where he would post Mosaic's on his weekly set sale list or put them in the racks for the regulars to get first dibs. I got the Clifford Brown and both Ike Quebec boxes this way at similar pricing as the Fuller box.

Now, instead of a weekly new arrivals list we get an inventory update list and the choice stuff gets ebay'd. I guess that's just the way of the world now... and maybe why I haven't been to the shop as much and don't spend as much as I have in the past.

Anyway, Congrats again, as this is an excellent set and a worthy addition!

Nice score !

I don't have the Fuller on vinyl but the Q-LP sets I do have are great listening. If this one is up to the standard of the Thad Jones, Jackie McLean, Sam Rivers and Horace Parlan then you will be impressed.

The Fuller is of course full of very fine material and some of the original LPs are hard to find (Bone 'n' Bari for example) so this is a good one to get.

I wish Joe of Euclid had brought along some of these LP sets in his boxes at the New Jersey Record Bash last week.. ^_^

Yes, as I mentioned I do have the Fuller CD set and it's one of my favorites...I'm just interested in impressions of the sonics (hopefully better!) with the vinyl version.

As a resident of St. Louis from 1987-91, I fondly remember perusing the stock at Euclid records.

Sorry that eBay listings mean less ability to get "dibs" in the shop, spinlps, I know what you mean...there's a local store in Sacramento here called The Beat, and generally what they have in store vinyl wise is good musically but usually pretty "beat" condition-wise (and overpriced)...they seem to list better condition stuff on eBay.

DrJ: you might be even luckier than you are aware (til now). I had planned to snipe for around $202, but I spaced. Nice get at $144! It is a great set I think, rarely seen on Ebay, don't know why. {Groove Yard in Oakland was disposing of an estate in mid-2002, sold the CF set for over $400 on Ebay (at estate's specific request, they don't Ebay normally) }

CF and Sam Rivers sets have been in my sights, for about 2 yrs now.

Wow, lucky day I guess!

I know how it is, guy, I "spaced" on a vintage Beatles vinyl auction today, checking in on it about 5 minutes after it had already ended! A real good condition original Parlophone Yellow & Black label, mono copy of WITH THE BEATLES sold for UNDER $20!!! Sheesh...the ONE time I space...normally when I wade in on those original UK Beatles pressings auctions, some crazy fool bids them up into the stratosphere... :P Not sure how that one flew under the radar.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky man! Back when Mosaic was clearing spare vinyl from the racks, I picked up several J.J. (and other) extras and then managed, a year later, to score the full set. Don't know if you ever raided Mosaic when they were flush with various 'odds & ends' vinyl, but in the (unlikely, I'm sure) event that you have an extra copy of LP 1, I'd sure like to purchase it. I've got 2-5 w/booklet & box.

If only we could corral all the members of the 'Mosaic Partials Club' and convene a town meeting of sorts, I bet we could fill out a good many sets. nixweiss.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Well, having had a chance to listen to the Fuller QLP set for a while, I can weigh in with a hearty "thumbs up." Let me first say the CD set was no slouch - the LPs have the edge, though not by a ton. Basically, it's all in the details. All the instruments just sound more real and present. Fuller's 'bone benefits most of all - there's a richness and visceral presence lacking from the CDs.

In fact the LP set fidelity is so good you can actually hear some of the flaws in the original master tapes that aren't as readily revealed on the CDs. This is most noteworthy on side 1, where you can hear some distortion (sounds like the tapes were recorded just a little too hot, even hotter than was RVG's norm, plus there's some tape wear/aging issues). Still, these are very minor distractions given that overall the sound and resolution is superior.

Also worth mentioning that this set was dead Near Mint condition just as advertised by good ole Euclid Records. Close to Mint.

A winner.