6 minute long Blue Serge

medjuck

(I thought I posted this already but can't find it. If it's a duplicate I apologise.)

I've been listening to a European semi-bootleg collection of early Serge Chaloff ("The Serge Chaloff Memorial-- We the People Bop". It starts with 2 studio recordings of Blue Serge done

for Dial in 1946. One of them is 6 minutes long! Was it originally issued on 2 sides of of a 78? Also what method of recording was used in the studio to cut a number at this length? And if Ross Russell could do this for Chaloff why did he never do it for Bird?

These show up on the Chaloff Mosaic as well. But aren't there numerous instances of this in the pre-LP age? Ellington's "Reminisicing in Tempo" comes to mind (I think it came out on two 78s, as it was nearly 12 minutes long); Basie's "King Joe"; Dexter and Wardell's "The Chase," done for Dial around the same time or not long after the track to which Joe alludes.

I may be able to answer my own question by asking another: How many minutes could you get on a 12 inch 78?

I was checking out V-Disc 760 (Billie Holliday and Louis Armstrong singing "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans" and noticed that it's 6:34 . V-Discs were 12 inchers usually with the music from 2 10 inch discs per side. (Or were they perhaps one-sided only?)

I had a cd of Billie Holiday V-Discs and was listening because of a question that had been brought up about the Pops/Lady Day "Do you know...." when I noticed how long it was. Actually reading the liner notes for that cd I infer that the V-Discs were one sided. If so a 12 inch 78 could obviously hold 6 minutes +.

Anyone here know much about V-discs? Or about 12 inch 78s in genereal?

I may be able to answer my own question by asking another: How many minutes could you get on a 12 inch 78?

I was  checking out  V-Disc 760 (Billie Holliday and Louis Armstrong  singing "Do You Know What It  Means to Miss New Orleans" and noticed that it's 6:34 .  V-Discs were 12 inchers usually with the music from 2 10 inch discs per side. (Or were they perhaps one-sided only?) 

I had a cd of Billie Holiday V-Discs and was listening because of a question that had been brought up about the Pops/Lady Day "Do you know...."  when I noticed how long it was.  Actually reading the liner notes for that cd I infer that the V-Discs were one sided. If so a 12 inch 78 could obviously hold 6 minutes +.

Anyone here know much about V-discs?  Or about 12 inch 78s in genereal?

The average shellac 12" 78 will hold about 4 1/2 minutes of music. V-Discs are pressed on vinyl, and quite often will hold as much as 6:00 or slightly more. I don't know if the material from which it is made is a factor or not. Btw, V-Discs are 2-sided.

And you can get a good number of minutes on 16" discs as well. Also, as evidenced from the Town Hall recording equipment for example, dual disc cutters were around that would ensure that no minute of a performance was missed. . . theoretically I guess if you kept feeding those discs to the cutter head you could have quite a long continuous performance. Of course you would be limited to what you could release to the public in "one piece" at the time.