Tv Shows On Dvd

I watch most current tv shows but The Wire is in a class of it's own. I've copied very show and regard it as one of the greatest tv shows ever.

I've seen seasons 1 and 2 and tend to agree. But I've heard bad things about the 3rd season. Have you seen it, and if so, what are your thoughts?

As you liked seasons one and two it's hard to imagine you not liking season three or four as it is all a continuation of the mainstory, gradually widening it's scope to take in more of the political shenanigans, which are closely tied in with the internal politics of the police dept.

The fourth season also takes us into the classrooms of the broken Baltimore education system to introduce another perspective on the corner gangs. Major league great tv even if I have to watch some parts twice to catch all the nuance and , at times, difficult dialect. I'm a Brit.

That's good to hear, I'll have to search them out.

By the way, some of the dialects aren't too easy for some Americans to completely grasp at first. :)

Did you ever watch that 90's series Cracker, with Robbie Coltrane? I recently reviewed the whole thing on DVD, and ten years on it still holds up pretty well.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch most current tv shows but The Wire is in a class of it's own. I've copied very show and regard it as one of the greatest tv shows ever.

I've seen seasons 1 and 2 and tend to agree. But I've heard bad things about the 3rd season. Have you seen it, and if so, what are your thoughts?

As you liked seasons one and two it's hard to imagine you not liking season three or four as it is all a continuation of the mainstory, gradually widening it's scope to take in more of the political shenanigans, which are closely tied in with the internal politics of the police dept.

The fourth season also takes us into the classrooms of the broken Baltimore education system to introduce another perspective on the corner gangs. Major league great tv even if I have to watch some parts twice to catch all the nuance and , at times, difficult dialect. I'm a Brit.

That's good to hear, I'll have to search them out.

By the way, some of the dialects aren't too easy for some Americans to completely grasp at first. :)

Did you ever watch that 90's series Cracker, with Robbie Coltrane? I recently reviewed the whole thing on DVD, and ten years on it still holds up pretty well.

You seem to like the same things that I do, I love(d) Cracker and have copies of every episode.

Recently a one-off new episode was shown on Ozzy tv, in which our lad, family in tow, comes back to

Manchester after a lengthy exile in Oz. Last night had the privilege of watching the first part of the final sad Prime Suspect. Helen Mirrin seems to grow in stature with every performance, she has improved from a fine actress into a great one. Hope you are able to see it soon.

You seem to like the same things that I do, I love(d) Cracker and have copies of every episode.

Recently a one-off new episode was shown on Ozzy tv, in which our lad, family in tow, comes back to

Manchester after a lengthy exile in Oz. Last night had the privilege of watching the first part of the final sad Prime Suspect. Helen Mirrin seems to grow in stature with every performance, she has improved from a fine actress into a great one. Hope you are able to see it soon.

There's yet another one-off episode? I thought the earlier one-off, with Fitz (Coltrane) in Hong Kong was rather unnecessary and a slight let-down. Always good to see our hero in action, but the other episodes gain power from being links in a chain, which I suppose is one of the definitions of "series" TV. I guess Cracker was popular in the UK so they decided to do the HK stand-alone episode. The one you mention, which I haven't seen, sounds a bit better, with Fitz and family back in the home environment of Manchester. That was another problem with the earlier one-off; it was JUST Fitz, he only talked to his family on the phone, and being out of his normal environment tended to dissipate the peculiar chemistry of the show. (Reminds me of the episode of Morse set in Australia, which also was missing something.)

I wish Robbie Coltrane would get more character work; I really like him.

Edited by kinuta

The HK episode was 'White Ghost' and Fitz was like a duck out of water. That was about the nut case who locked up his woman in a shipping container. I think it might have been the dreaded contractual obligation episode. Honestly speaking the return to manchester episode was also a pale shadow of Fitz's past glories.

However, all is not lost. :excited:

Check this out...............

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/07/15/1685775.html

Which I've just realized is the 'return to Manchester' episode.

Yes, I remember the nut case with the shipping container (pretty revolting)---when I rewatched Cracker last year on DVD, the last disc had "White Ghost" on it.

Got to hand it to Jimmy McGovern though.

• 1 month later...

It's being noised about that WKRP, sans original music, is going to be released next year. I'll still get the set even without the music.

Mmmmm................

Bailey.............

Never thought Loni Anderson was sexy, but I had a teen-age crush of Bailey Quarters! :wub::wub:

bailey10.jpg

Edit: New picture, old one disappeared.

Edited by Matthew

I am finishing up season 4 of Star Trek: The Next Generation and will soon move on to season 5.

Guy

The fourth season is my favorite. What did you think of the episode with Jean Simmons?

It was damn good, though I kind of got the feeling they were trying to do too much in 45 minutes. Who is Jean Simmons, out of curiosity -- I am not familiar with her.

Guy