Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered an animated show from the late 80's- early 90's; Count Duckula. Was a spin off from Danger Mouse. I like both, but Duckula I liked better. I might buy the Danger Mouse seasons that are coming out now also. Another animated one from the late 80's which ran only 1 season I'd consider is The Completely Mental Misadventures Of Ed Grimley. I remember there was a look a like contest during the show and I won as one of the runner ups in the (I think) under 21 category. I think I still have my certificate I was sent.

(and while we're at it 'Eyes on the Prize', the documentary, would be nice too. When I saw it in the 80s I knew little about the history of that time).

I so hope this comes out on DVD, but I am not holding my breath. As discussed on a thread about rights and documentaries, all the rights have lapsed and it currently cannot be reshown on PBS and certainly not sold. I'm not sure if the videos were ever sold other than to schools. Definitely a case where we as a culture are worse off due to an overly stringent application of intellectual property rights.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, Red Dwarf 7 just came out in the UK, and I picked it up.

• 3 weeks later...

My DVD prayers have been answered. Leave It To Beaver is finally being released. Season One is available as we speak. Included in the box is the original pilot with Ward and Wally played by actors other than Hugh Beaumont and Tony Dow.

All I need now is LA Law and I'll be an eternally happy DVD camper. My understanding is I won't have to wait much longer. The first two or three seasons of that show (and especially the pilot) were must-see TV.

Up over and out.

My DVD prayers have been answered. Leave It To Beaver is finally being released. Season One is available as we speak. Included in the box is the original pilot with Ward and Wally played by actors other than Hugh Beaumont and Tony Dow.

Gotta say, I'm in total agreement with you there. It's long puzzled me that Leave It To Be Beaver should take so long to reach DVD. It has to be one of the best-remembered sitcoms of that era, arguably second only to I Love Lucy in name recognition. Another plus: 39 (!!!!!) episodes in the first season. They really cranked 'em out back then.

I'm thinking of ordering Have Gun, Will Travel season 1 off Amazon. I only know the show by reputation; I've never seen an episode. Any votes up or down?

I'm like you; never seen an episode of HGWT, very curious about it. I'm also a little curious about Peter Gunn, but that's due in good part to the music.

• 1 month later...

best buy has a great sale on selected dvd sets

buy 1, get 1 free

includes sanford and son and good times

i have a 10% off coupon and $5 gift cert.

2 DVD sets less than $20 is a gonga.....

i need seasons 4/5 for SAS

i need seasons 2/3 for GT, the rest w/o james amos are not good imo

Edited by Soulstation1

i need seasons 2/3 for GT, the rest w/o james amos are not good imo

You mean John Amos. I was sorry to see his Fitzwallace character killed on West Wing.

Very likeable guy and a very good actor.

EDIT: Just ordered Seinfeld seasons 5 and 6. $40 bucks for both. Thanks for the heads up SS!

Edited by Free For All

• 4 weeks later...

After years and years and years of simply not watching television, I caught a part of "The Shield" shown in English on a cable channel in France, where I live. Then I saw it on again the following week (my son was watching) and I sat down and watched to the end. I was hooked. Then my wife noticed that I was watching TV and was intrigued. She got hooked too. We watched up to the end of season 3--which was at the end of December, 2005 here--and then they took it off, no doubt waiting for another season or two to build up.

So I ordered season 1 on DVD. Loved it. That's the only TV show I have on DVD. Just ordered season 2.

Go here and see what you get for $19.99!

C64-1016-main.jpgTV Favorites.

100 Classic Episodes.

Just released from the vintage vaults of TreeLine Films. The incredible TV Favorites Megapack. 100 classic episodes of the best TV shows of yesteryear. The Lone Ranger. The Burns and Allen Show. Groucho Marx in the hilarious game show, You Bet Your Life. Dragnet. The Red Skelton Show. The Trouble With Father. Bonanza. The chilling One Step Beyond. Dangerous Assignment. Racket Squad. The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. This fabulous compilation of America’s best-loved TV series episodes digitally rendered to exquisite quality on DVD. A dazzling collection of nostalgia. For the lowest price anywhere! Flash Gordon. Crime Stories. The Andy Griffith Show. The Beverly Hillbillies. Mr. And Mrs. North. Four Star Playhouse. The most incredible anthology of television nostalgia ever assembled. Hurry! These action and comedy-packed DVD bundles are selling fast!

Features Listing

• Four Star Playhouse - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Flash Gordon - (3) 30 minute episodes
  • Mr. and Mrs. North - (7) 30 minute episodes
  • Bonanza - (3) 1 full-hour episodes
  • The Lone Ranger - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Burns and Allen Show - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Life With Elizabeth - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Crime Stories - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Dragnet - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Dangerous Assignment - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Racket Squad - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • You Bet Your Life - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Red Skelton Show - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • The Andy Griffith Show - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • The Beverly Hillbillies - (6) 30 minute episodes
  • Trouble With Father - (6) 30 minute episodes

They also have boxes containing 50 movies each, on 12 double-sided DVDs, for th same price.

I have the Mystery, War and Horror collections, so far (they also have Sci-Fi, Westerns, and Martial Arts, and the quality is excellent.

Look at the "Mystery" set's content:

C64-1010-main.jpgMystery Classics.

50 Classic Whodunits for an Astonishing Price!

TreeLine Films proudly presents 50 of the best-loved mystery classics from the golden age of mystery flicks. A memorable anthology of whodunits featuring some of the great mystery characters of all time. With amazing performances by Frank Sinatra, Basil Rathbone, Mickey Rooney, Donna Reed, Burgess Meredith, Robert Young, Charles Boyer, Orson Wells, John Payne, Noah Beery, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney and many more screen legends. Unforgettable characters like Bulldog Drummond, Dick Tracy, Mr. Moto, The Shadow, The Mysterious Mr. Wong, Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew. A rare collection of fabulous films! Suddenly. He Walked by Night. Topper Returns. Fog Island. Mystery Liner. The Moonstone. Bela Lugosi, in Murder By Television. The Green Glove. This fabulous compilation of America’s best mystery movies are exquisitely digitized in a 12 double-sided DVD set. Hours of Intrigue and Suspense! For the lowest price anywhere! Dick Tracy vs. Cueball. Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet. The Death Kiss. Algiers. Kansas City Confidential. Jigsaw. The most suspenseful anthology of movie mysteries of yesteryear ever assembled.

Features Listing

• Algiers
  • Bulldog Drummond Comes Back
  • Bulldog Drummond Escapes
  • Bulldog Drummond in Africa
  • Bulldog Drummond's Peril
  • Bulldog Drummond's Revenge
  • Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police
  • Death Kiss, The
  • Detour
  • Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome
  • Dick Tracy vs. Cueball
  • Dick Tracy, Detective
  • Dressed to Kill
  • Eyes in the Night
  • Fog Island
  • Great Guy
  • Green Glove, The
  • He Walked By Night
  • Impact
  • International Crime
  • Jigsaw
  • Kansas City Confidential
  • Kennel Murder Case, The
  • Man on the Eiffel Tower, The
  • Midnight Manhunt
  • Moonstone, The
  • Mr. Moto's Last Warning
  • Mr. Wong, Detective
  • Murder at Midnight
  • Murder at the Baskervilles
  • Murder By Television
  • Murder with Pictures
  • Mysterious Mr. Wong, The
  • Mystery Liner
  • Nancy Drew: Reporter
  • Quicksand
  • Scarlet Street
  • Second Woman, The
  • Shadow Strikes, The
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
  • Sign of Four, The
  • Stranger, The
  • Study in Scarlet, A
  • Suddenly
  • Terror By Night
  • They Made Me a Criminal
  • Too Late for Tears
  • Topper Returns
  • Triumph of Sherlock Holmes, The
  • Woman in Green, The

Watched the "Gatorbait" episode from the Season 1 DVD of Hill Street Blues today. The show really holds up, and I'd forgotten how multi-ethnic it was. Only troubling aspect is the rather humiliating treatment of Furillo's ex-wife; her function was primarily as "hysterical female" comic relief, although I seem to recall that the writers developed her character into something better as the show went on. That aside, I found myself getting hooked all over again, by the multitude of distinct characters and the sprawling storylines.

by the way, anyone is familiar with this? Star Blazers - Series 3: The Bolar Wars

Oh yeah! When I was in the Navy I went to electronics school at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, north of Chicago, and every morning the barracks lounge was full of squids watching this show! Must admit, I got hooked as well...