Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just reading something fairly shocking on Amazon regarding Season 2 of the Fugitive:

For contractual reasons, THEY HAVE REMOVED PETE RUGOLO'S UNDERSCORE and apparently replaced it with a lame recorded-in-someone's-garage electronic score.

Securing the legal rights to music used in a TV series when it is re-released in another form is often a nightmare. It's one of the reasons why I never got the DVD's of St. Elsewhere because I heard that some of the songs and music originally used couldn't be put on the DVD. That's ALSO why the DVD release of Freaks & Geeks took four years---securing the rights to all the songs sampled in the series took that long. As for The Fugitive, it's a crying shame, and very frustrating, but not all that uncommon. :(

When you're bored sometime, read the comments about WKRP's dvd release on Amazon...they really pissed a lot of people off not getting the rights to the music...

I've purchased lately the complete "Invasion" (tv show) on dvd, as well as the two seasons of "Nero Wolfe."

You mean the original "Invasion" show, from the 60's?

When I was a kid, someone gave me a model of the spaceship from that show. I never did get around to putting it together, though. (I sucked at putting models together. Still do.)

BTW, I enjoyed the Nero Wolfe series, except I wish they'd kept Wolfe's office the way it was in the first season; never liked the way it was in Season 2. Also, Timothy Hutton was a good choice to play Archie Goodwin, but there were times when I thought when he played him a bit too much for laughs.

No, I mean the "Invasion" show that was on ABC a few years ago, one season only.

I haven't yet watched the Wolfe episodes, not a single one. I've read every book though. Archie can be a great source of laughter! But I fear that I know what you mean and I'll probably agree when I get there.

I've read about 10 or so of the Wolfe books. I thought the series was a decent attempt at putting the stories on the small screen. Will be interested to get your reaction.

(And I got that 60's show wrong; it was The Invaders.)

Edited by BruceH

I've read about 10 or so of the Wolfe books. I thought the series was a decent attempt at putting the stories on the small screen. Will be interested to get your reaction.

Anyone ever see the Nero Wolfe show that ran on NBC in the early 80's? William Conrad was Wolfe...Don't think it ran too long.

Anyone ever see the Nero Wolfe show that ran on NBC in the early 80's? William Conrad was Wolfe...Don't think it ran too long.

I missed that one, but William Conrad was certainly built right for the role. Who played Archie?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bruce,

In general I thought both season 1 and 2 of the Wolfe were over the top. . . a bit. I didn't imagine them this way (I've read all the Wolfe, and nearly all of Rex Stout.) But still, I really enjoy the series because. . . it's Wolfe and Goodwin! Besides, my best lady friend thinks I'm Archie! :) (Come to think of it, I was born in Canton, drink milk the way he does, have to have my eight hours, and a few other coincidences!)

Edited by jazzbo

I confess I really enjoy watching seasons of tv dramas on dvd, more than watching them on tv. They sure look better.

I am now watching the second season of Heroes on Blu-Ray. (Man it looks good.) And I just noticed that the NBC show "Life" that debuted last season hit dvd and ordered a copy from half.com

• 3 weeks later...

Guy, in my book Jean Simmons was in those days, as Spartacus's wife, even more beautiful than Liz Taylor or any other woman in the world!

Liz Taylor was good looking once? :huh:

Guy

Well, apparently I don't know how to cut and paste using the right click, but there is a good photo of Liz at http://www.drudgereport.com right now.

Edited by GA Russell

Guy, in my book Jean Simmons was in those days, as Spartacus's wife, even more beautiful than Liz Taylor or any other woman in the world!

Liz Taylor was good looking once? :huh:

Guy

Well, apparently I don't know how to cut and paste using the right click, but there is a good photo of Liz at http://www.drudgereport.com right now.

Jean Simmons certainly was very beautiful. . . .

2104486005_a9e5df9fca.jpg

So was Elizabeth Taylor

Elizabeth-Taylor-Photograph-C12145909.jpeg

Bruce,

In general I thought both season 1 and 2 of the Wolfe were over the top. . . a bit. I didn't imagine them this way (I've read all the Wolfe, and nearly all of Rex Stout.) But still, I really enjoy the series because. . . it's Wolfe and Goodwin! Besides, my best lady friend thinks I'm Archie! :) (Come to think of it, I was born in Canton, drink milk the way he does, have to have my eight hours, and a few other coincidences!)

Got to agree somewhat. The show is a little over the top, or, as I thought of it, "cartoonified"...a bit. Lil' bit. Especially the first couple of episodes. And I don't like the change in the decor of Wolfe's office between season one and season two. But there's enough right for it to be still pretty entertaining. For me, anyway. And Chaykin makes a good Nero Wolfe. (Sorry for the late reply.)

• 1 year later...

My wife & I are fans of Dick van Dyke, but so far we've picked up only Season 3... need to fill out the collection one of these days.

Any word on whether or not more Larry Sanders will ever come out?

Fellow Dick van Dyke fans--Amazon's currently selling the DVD sets for $19.99 a season. I bit on Seasons 1 & 2 a few days ago, and just ordered season 4 (threw an Art Farmer Cd in as well to get free shipping). Wondering how I might be able to finangle/justify Season 5 whiled I'm at it... :w

The DvD Show sets seem to come with a decent amount of extras as well. Season 1 includes the 1960 pilot, carrying the different title Head of the Family and with a very different cast, most prominently Carl Reiner himself playing Rob Petrie. There's a mini-doc about the pilot as well, but I haven't watched it yet.

They repeated that pilot on TV some years ago. I think it was on TVLand, when they were starting to show The Dick Van Dyke Show (this was a long time ago, come to think...) The pilot is really interesting, in that the basic idea is there, but it's all so different.

BTW, for years and YEARS growing up, whenever I heard of a "Van Dyke" beard, or the painter, I thought of the show.

Edited by BruceH

My wife & I are fans of Dick van Dyke, but so far we've picked up only Season 3... need to fill out the collection one of these days.

Fellow Dick van Dyke fans--Amazon's currently selling the DVD sets for $19.99 a season. I bit on Seasons 1 & 2 a few days ago, and just ordered season 4 (threw an Art Farmer Cd in as well to get free shipping). Wondering how I might be able to finangle/justify Season 5 whiled I'm at it... :w

The DvD Show sets seem to come with a decent amount of extras as well. Season 1 includes the 1960 pilot, carrying the different title Head of the Family and with a very different cast, most prominently Carl Reiner himself playing Rob Petrie. There's a mini-doc about the pilot as well, but I haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for the heads up! I opted to get the complete series, it was cheaper (74 bucks) than buying each of the five seasons separately. Nice looking set, lots of extras.

Thanks for the heads up! I opted to get the complete series, it was cheaper (74 bucks) than buying each of the five seasons separately. Nice looking set, lots of extras.

Would've gone for the complete set myself if I didn't already have season 3. (Though come to think of it, if I'd really been bold, it still would've been cheaper to buy the whole set than seasons 1, 2, 4 and 5. Ah, well! I have to hold off on season 5 as it is, to keep some semblance of sanity within my early-2010 budget.) I think I'm going to go through all of the seasons in order, and have watched the first two episodes of season 1 over the past two nights. Amazing how relatively comfortable the cast was from the beginning; so many shows take the first season just to find their stride.