classical recommendations

Stefan Wood

The Complete Liszt Transcriptions of Beethoven Symphonies, performed by Leslie Howard, on Hyperion.

This five cd set has it all: great sound, wonderous interpretations by a virtuoso pianist, incredible source material, fascinating transcriptions to solo piano by Liszt. www.broinc.com often has this for about 30 dollars.

66671.jpg

Houseman_ShropshireLad_Hyperion.jpg

Whilst wandering round the grounds of Renishaw Hall in Derbyshire this afternoon, home of the Sitwells. A mix of readings of the Housman poems and settings by a variety of early 20thC composers (mainly English but Samuel Barber's in there). The poems are somewhat winsome, the music gorgeous.

The Complete Liszt Transcriptions of Beethoven Symphonies, performed by Leslie Howard, on Hyperion.

Indeed, these works are pure fire and I was so astonished I produced a complete set too....with pianist Idil Biret as a world premiere.

Although Mr Howard's playing is very adequate, it sounds overall slightly dull to my taste, perhaps because the symphonies are only a fraction of the complete edition of the Liszt works and did not receive as complete a dedication as one would expect for these performances.

You might check the two absolute references, in my opinion, which are still available :

Idil Biret :

http://www.albert-classic.de/

Cyprien Katsaris :http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=classical&field-keywords=cyprien%252520katsaris&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=classical/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl15/102-9616877-8347353 ; :tup:rlol:g

Both versions are absolutely stunning, but Idil Biret is the only pianist playing the 9 symphonies in concert today... :g:rofl::wub: