Bennie Maupin

Soul Stream

Really been diggin' Bennie with Lee Morgan on !Caramba and also his "Live At The Lighthouse" stuff. Past faves also are his work on Lonnie Smith's "Turning Point" and Taru.

He's a guy I don't have much on...mainly the sessions I mentioned above. However, I find (much like my Dizzy Reece jones) he's a guy who's conception I really, really, really dig.

Does he still play? I know he's still alive and made a solo album not that long ago.

He must not live in NYC or it seems he's be gigging more high profile with his talents.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely an underrated player, both on tenor and bass clarinet. Bitches Brew wouldn't be the same without him. I also really like him on Chick Corea's Complete Is Sessions -- his solo on "The Brain" smokes! And of course, his work with Herbie (Mwandishi and the Headhunters) is classic.

Guy

For my money, some of THE most amazing and interesting Maupin on record is disc one of this two disc set...

f51569jl30e.jpg

Chick Corea - "The Complete "IS" Sessions"

I do like Maupin in other contexts (particularly on the Lee Morgan "Lighthouse" material), but here on the "IS" sessions -- the man is nearly as intense as Wayne Shorter was with Miles (live in concert) around the same time (circa 1969).

In fact, Maupin's playing here makes me think he almost could've subbed for Wayne in Miles' group (during that same year, 1969), without the group suffering much from the switch. (In other words, I think Wayne's shoes (with Miles in 1969) are mighty goddamn big to fill around that time -- and the particular Bennie Maupin that showed up for those "IS" sessions is one of the only guys that I think could have even thought about filling them.)

PS: I would greatly welcome some discussion about what others think about Maupin's contribution to the "IS" material. Sangry in particular, do you have this release?? Maupin sounds to me like a man possessed, and I've never heard him play with such intensity -- before or since. I'd really be interested in some other opinions about Maupin's playing on those "IS" sessions (particularly disc #1).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

For my money, some of THE most amazing and interesting Maupin on record is disc one of this two disc set...

f51569jl30e.jpg

Chick Corea - "The Complete "IS" Sessions"

I do like Maupin in other contexts (particularly on the Lee Morgan "Lighthouse" material), but here on the "IS" sessions -- the man is nearly as intense as Wayne Shorter was with Miles (live in concert) around the same time (circa 1969).

In fact, Maupin's playing here makes me think he almost could've subbed for Wayne in Miles' group (during that same year, 1969), without the group suffering much from the switch.  (In other words, I think Wayne's shoes (with Miles in 1969) are mighty goddamn big to fill around that time -- and the particular Bennie Maupin that showed up for those "IS" sessions is one of the only guys that I think could have even thought about filling them.)

PS:  I would greatly welcome some discussion about what others think about Maupin's contribution to the "IS" material.  Sangry in particular, do you have this release??  Maupin sounds to me like a man possessed, and I've never heard him play with such intensity -- before or since.  I'd really be interested in some other opinions about Maupin's playing on those "IS" sessions (particularly disc #1).

I've thought about getting this for no other reason than Maupin. Not a big Chick fan especially and the sound clips kind of reinforced my hesitation. Lots and lots of piano notes flying aimlessly about...but if Maupin's on fire I might bite. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also...Maupin takes a solo on "Sidewinder" from the Lighthouse that has the audience freaking out. Maupin raises the roof on that thing.

In fact, Maupin's playing here makes me think he almost could've subbed for Wayne in Miles' group (during that same year, 1969), without the group suffering much from the switch.  (In other words, I think Wayne's shoes (with Miles in 1969) are mighty goddamn big to fill around that time -- and the particular Bennie Maupin that showed up for those "IS" sessions is one of the only guys that I think could have even thought about filling them.)

PS:  I would greatly welcome some discussion about what others think about Maupin's contribution to the "IS" material.  Sangry in particular, do you have this release??  Maupin sounds to me like a man possessed, and I've never heard him play with such intensity -- before or since.  I'd really be interested in some other opinions about Maupin's playing on those "IS" sessions (particularly disc #1).

I mentioned it upthread -- his solo on the "Brain" is brilliant, and the Shorter '69 comparison is on the mark. (Though oddly, on McCoy's Tender Moments, he reminds me of Joe H.) That said, I don't think he could have replicated Wayne's brilliance or creativity in that setting on a regular basis. Maybe I'm wrong.

Guy

That said, I don't think he could have replicated Wayne's brilliance or creativity in that setting on a regular basis.

I totally agree. I also don't think Maupin had it in him to fill Wayne's shoes. But the particular "Maupin" that showed up for those "IS" sessions came pretty damn close. Closer than almost anyone I've ever heard from around that same time (plus or minus 5 years, let's say).

PS: Another interesting Maupin sideman date is the extra "bonus" session from the Conn of Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice" (with Lee Morgan). Maupin is also on some of the material from the recent Andrew Hill Select too (two closely related Hill sessions with Charles Tolliver and Pat Patrick -- and the longer of the two sessions with strings). :tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

That said, I don't think he could have replicated Wayne's brilliance or creativity in that setting on a regular basis.

I totally agree. I also don't think Maupin had it in him to fill Wayne's shoes. But the particular "Maupin" that showed up for those "IS" sessions came pretty damn close. Closer than almost anyone I've ever heard from around that same time (plus or minus 5 years, let's say).

PS: Another interesting Maupin sideman date is the extra "bonus" session from the Conn of Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice" (with Lee Morgan). Maupin is also on some of the material from the recent Andrew Hill Select too (two closely related Hill sessions with Charles Tolliver and Pat Patrick -- and the longer of the two sessions with strings). :tup

Thanks for the reminder of Maupin on the Hill Mosaic Select. I've been on the fence about getting it, but pulled the trigger tonight. The Dance clip on the site was killing me, great stuff.

More along the lines of the electric Herbie/Headhunters type stuff, I enjoy Maupin's "Slower Traffic To The Right." I have a used vinyl copy I got for a couple bucks. Maupin's on the cover on a bicycle with a big goofy toothy grin. :g

I did get to see him some years ago with that Wallace Roney 'Miles Tribute' band which had Lenny White, Buster Williams and Adam Holzman in the lineup. He spent much of the gig on bass clarinet recreating some of the sounds he got on Bitches Brew. Nothing I have heard live has come as close to effectively re-creating the Bitches Brew soundscape.

Maupin also takes it there with Marion Brown, on the first ESP as well as Juba-Lee (Fontana). I really, really dig his tenor playing on these...

I heard Benny Maupin play with Marion Brown (and, among others, Charles Tyler and Alan Shorter) in a group led by Sunny Murray in 1966. I remember being somewhat disappointed with his playing then because he didn't seem to take things as far out as the others. I don't know if my reaction would be different if I could hear that music now, but I imagine that it would be pretty similar.

Although Bennie is connected with Bitches Brew and other more "out" kind of things. He seems much, much, much more of a traditional player at heart than someone like Marion Brown. I couldn't imagine Marion Brown holding up Live At The Lighthouse in the tradition that Maupin does....(not a knock on Marion)...thus, side by side on stage I could understand someone not thinking Maupin was taking things as far out as Marion Brown.

king ubu included a live ballad recording from Swiss radio on his recent Blindfold Test - ask him for a copy of the complete broadcast. Masterful mature playing.

Do a web search - he is involved in some chamber jazz project that looks pretty interesting.

Wonder nobody mentioned his sole ECM LP The Jewel in the Lotus which I find very beautiful. I also like his alto flute very very much, and, of course, his bass clarinet.

I remember Horace Silver or Lee Morgan compared Maupin to Henderson in their ability to take a solo to an irresistible climax - very fitting.

• 2 weeks later...