Your Favorite Cereal

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every morning

Country Farm Fruit Muesli. real McCoy with no sugar or chemical crap. I always have it with soya milk, the brand I use is absolutely delicious. I beef it up with banana(s) and any other fruit in season. At the moment cherries and BIWA, a fruit I've only ever seen in Japan.

Pics of BIWA .........

biwa_001.jpg

Edited by kinuta

As far as breakfast cereals I like the slightly sweet plain stuff - corn flakes, special k (or whatever the hell it's called). I've never been into the really sweet stuff -- if I want candy, I'll eat candy.

Also (and this makes me really weird) I don't like milk in my cereal. I like my milk without floating chunks in it, and my cereal crunchy. :crazy:

Guy

Every morning

Country Farm Fruit Muesli. real McCoy with no sugar or chemical crap. I always have it with soya milk, the brand I use is absolutely delicious. I beef it up with banana(s) and any other fruit in season. At the moment cherries and BIWA, a fruit I've only ever seen in Japan.

Pics of BIWA .........

biwa_001.jpg

A quick google reveals biwa to be the same as or at least similar to loquats. We have a tree of them back at my mom's house in Miami. However, they appear to be a bit smaller than in the pic you've posted here--and you have to catch them right at the very peak of ripeness, which isn't long at all. Otherwise they're incredibly sour, or else they get overripe, fall, and rot (or get eaten by squirrels).

Also (and this makes me really weird) I don't like milk in my cereal.  I like my milk without floating chunks in it, and my cereal crunchy.  :crazy:

Guy

:bad: On cereal is the only way I can get milk down my throat. Otherwise I hate the stuff!

You don't do moosemilk?

Cream of Wheat, with real maple syrup, but just a touch.

Like making a perfect egg, making Cream of wheat is an exact science. It has to be just right, not runny, not cement-like, and very hot. It should be just slightly salty. Some of the water to cook it can be pineapple juice, but only about a tablespoon or two. It is served in a steep-sided cereal bowl, not a flat one. Again, it must be hot. Even one lump is verboten also. NO milk. NO fruit. No nonsense. Mmm. :wub:

Edited by patricia

All this talk of unsweetened cereals like Puffed Rice, Cheerios and Kix reminds me of a peculiar and now inexplicable habit of mine when I was a kid. That would be putting melted butter and salt on these cereals. Like popcorn, I guess. Anyone else ever do anything certifiable with their breakfast food?

Up over and out.

All this talk of unsweetened cereals like Puffed Rice, Cheerios and Kix reminds me of a peculiar and now inexplicable habit of mine when I was a kid.  That would be putting melted butter and salt on these cereals. 

With a bit more tinkering at your end, you could have cobbled together this recipe and been a hero to kids, coast-to-coast.

I'm washing 1,000 ripe Mulberries off the terrace daily with a hose.....anyone want 'em for their cereal?

For a number of my early years I would refuse to eat what Mom cooked for dinner, and I'd have cereal instead.  It got to the point that Mom would often tease me and refer to me as her "grain-fed child."

Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Corn Pops are among my favorites, but I'm just as happy with Corn Flakes, Cheerios, or Kix.

My parents would've put up with that for about, oh... two seconds. I remember the ONE time I refused to eat what my mom made for dinner. Guess what I got instead? Nothing and a trip to my bed.

I still remember how much my stomach hurt and how hungry I was all night. It only took once and from then on out I ate what my mom put in front of me.

You guys have no idea.  I used to be a cereal junkie and I ate all the most wretched, sugar-encrusted crud you could find.  I loved it all.  Then I became lactose intolerant and every time I ate a bowl of cereal it was like WWII in my stomach.  Yes, I've tried soy milk (yuk...) and lactose free milk (same results as with regular milk) so I decided to just give up milk altogether and thus my beloved late-night, after the gig bowl of cereal.  I'm a much happier man.

But in my heyday, I ate it all:  Booberry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Lucky Charms, Golden Grahms, Fruit Loops, Trix, Raisen Bran, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Puffs, Honey Comb, Kellogg Corn Pops (gotta have my pops!), Life, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Mini Wheats, Quaker Oat Squares, Cap'n Crunch, Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Reese's Pieces cereal, Chex (all varieties), Rice Crispies, Cocoa Crispies, etc.

Can't imagine a world without milk, for me... :g

For a number of my early years I would refuse to eat what Mom cooked for dinner, and I'd have cereal instead.  It got to the point that Mom would often tease me and refer to me as her "grain-fed child."

Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Corn Pops are among my favorites, but I'm just as happy with Corn Flakes, Cheerios, or Kix.

My parents would've put up with that for about, oh... two seconds. I remember the ONE time I refused to eat what my mom made for dinner. Guess what I got instead? Nothing and a trip to my bed.

I still remember how much my stomach hurt and how hungry I was all night. It only took once and from then on out I ate what my mom put in front of me.

Was your organ in your room at this point?