Herbie Hancock Headhunter's 2005

md655321

You were thinking the music business was a meritocracy?

I know, but from the praise lavished upon this guy from some people, you'd think he had something really special to offer.

The music biz is 99% hype. Once I realized that, it got much easier and enjoyable to listen to records. I don't worry about what everyone is saying, I listen and make judgements based on its merits or lack thereof.

For instance, you mentioned Amos Lee. I saw him on the Early Show last week while watching my baby daughter. I wasn't expecting much. Then when the band kicked in, I thought "Ok, this is kinda neat." Then he started singing and his voice was not what I was expecting. I was nicely surprised. Then the song didn't go anywhere and I flipped the channel!

I had no idea he's recording for BlueNote. And it would be safe to assume he's getting a lot of hype, since he's on the Early Show, but so what?

Concerning John Mayer, I didn't think much of him until I saw him on that Crossroads festival movie. He can play! I'm not thrilled with his voice either, but he can play guitar. Can he play jazz? Does it matter?

You were thinking the music business was a meritocracy?

I know, but from the praise lavished upon this guy from some people, you'd think he had something really special to offer.

The music biz is 99% hype. Once I realized that, it got much easier and enjoyable to listen to records. I don't worry about what everyone is saying, I listen and make judgements based on its merits or lack thereof.

For instance, you mentioned Amos Lee. I saw him on the Early Show last week while watching my baby daughter. I wasn't expecting much. Then when the band kicked in, I thought "Ok, this is kinda neat." Then he started singing and his voice was not what I was expecting. I was nicely surprised. Then the song didn't go anywhere and I flipped the channel!

I had no idea he's recording for BlueNote. And it would be safe to assume he's getting a lot of hype, since he's on the Early Show, but so what?

Concerning John Mayer, I didn't think much of him until I saw him on that Crossroads festival movie. He can play! I'm not thrilled with his voice either, but he can play guitar. Can he play jazz? Does it matter?

I heard a recording of him singing at 16, and he sounded like Richard Marx.

Whether you like that sort of thing or not, one has to admit that Marx has vocal chops. Moreover, Mayer has vocal ability that far surpasses Matthews yet he seems to be going for the Matthews demographic. I don't blame him. Will be interesting to see what he does in the future though.

As far as Mayer's playing goes, his blues playing is actually a small part of his style. He is a very creative pop stylist with his voicings and technique. Hip without being too contrived. With all that said, I believe that if Mayer decides he wants to play jazz, he will. He is young and has a great sense of harmony already.

"Hold on to the night.

Hold on to the mammories!"

:)  :bad:

Now if that were only the lyrics! :excited:

Jim, actually does a great Richard Marx impersonation as well.

Don't let his Marx bashing misled you.

Simply add mullet

hit him with a shrink ray

and presto!

:P

Kari, the gig is on www.dimeadozen.org (formerly easy tree) they do "Butterfly" and Lionel Loueke takes an impressive first solo, followed by Mayer..... Mayer sticks to blues terrain and builds the tension nicely.. a very fun gig to listen to, I burned it to CD a few hours ago. "Hang Up Your Hangups" is a fine encore, not as epic as on "Flood", but hey, it works :)