doubletime question

Hi All,

After going through the BN Discography, especially the CD release numbers, it appears as though the "Doubletime" Series definitely included these:

8-28879 - Joe Henderson - "The State Of The Tenor: Live At The Village Vanguard"

8-28882 - Freddie Hubbard - "Night Of The Cookers"

8-28885 - Stanley Turrentine - "Up At Minton's"

8-28888 - Art Blakey - "At The Jazz Corner Of The World"

8-57184 - Kenny Burrell - "Blue Lights"

8-57187 - Donald Byrd - "At The Half Note Cafe"

8-57191 - Jimmy Smith - "A New Sound, A New Star"

8-57194 - Grant Green - "Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark"

8-57197 - Don Grolnick - "The Complete Blue Note Sessions"

8-57200 - Ken McIntyre - "The Complete United Artists Sessions"

But, the following may also have been part of the series - I don't think they were, but they may have been given their CD Numerical Listings:

8-29029 - Woody Shaw - "Live / Bemsha Swing"

8-32746 - Duke Ellington - "70th Birthday Concert"

8-32747 - Freddie Hubbard/Woody Shaw - "The Blue Note Sessions"

8-32787 - Lester Young - "The Complete Aladdin Sessions"

8-33373 - Fats Navarro & Tadd Dameron - "Complete BN & Capitol Recordings"

8-33576 - Kenny Dorham - "'Round About Midnight At The Cafe Bohemia"

8-57371 - Ben Webster - "The Holland Sessions"

And, of course, there were other 2CD sets put out by Blue Note that I'm positive were not in the "Doubletime" Series, such as:

7-80507 - Dizzy Gillespie - "Live At The Village Vanguard"

7-99031 - Tony Williams - "Tokyo Live"

8-29125 - Joe Lovano - "Live At The Village Vanguard"

Several 2CD sets have also been released in the Connoisseur's Series (e.g., Burrell, Wilkerson, Braith, Criss, Turrentine, Silver, Melle, etc.) and RVG Series (e.g., Rollins, Smith, Byrd, etc.), so I'm sure they wouldn't be counted in the "Doubletime" Series.

Not that this really matters much... ALL of this music is freakin' great!

Cheers,

Shane

• 5 years later...

Pulled out the Fats Navarro/Tadd Dameron Blue Note/Capitol collection tonight and listened to it for the first time in years--God, what a wonderful 2-CD EMI set! Good booklet by Carl Woideck, too... made me think of all the other great two-CD EMI sets that came out in the 1990s, almost all of which are listed in this thread. Here's an old-timer question--anybody else remember the "We Demand the Release of the Wilkerson and Braith Doubletimes!!" thread on the old Blue Note bulletin board? ^_^

Sure do. I remember talking to the guy who owned Euclid Record in St. Louis about opening up a channel to the Japanese market so those of us who were stateside could have access to BN's that were only available in Japan. Two of the prime movers behind that phone call were George Braith and Don Wilkerson. To make a long story short, the Euclid connection never materialized, and by the time the Braith and Wilkerson two-fers were released here, I had long since added Japanese copies of the three albums each of them cut for Blue Note to my collection.

Boy, that reference to the BNBB sure brings back some good memories. I remember the first time I tied into it when it was still in that crazy one on top of another post and response format that could go on forever if the thread was long enough. That's the first time I ran into guys like Lon Armstrong and Kevin Bresnahan. I was just a novice back then and it seemed to me they knew just about everything there was to know about jazz. Learning was the great thing about that board and this one too. Two things transpired as a result. My head got heavier and my wallet got lighter. Those were the days.

And Michael Cuscuna was right about those two, wasn't he? They put them out and they didn't sell at all. I remember finding them in used bins all over Boston for a while. The funniest thing was that nearly every time I talked to Michael about upcoming reissues, he would always bring those two reissues up. He wasn't gloating, just reminding me that us Blue Note junkies on the Internet Jazz forums don't represent the normal CD buying public. We're fanatics. You need more than fanatics to sell some of this stuff.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Kevin--I mentioned that BNBB thread precisely because it did have an amusing angry-villagers-with-pitchforks quality to it. (Wasn't there some sort of petition involved, too?) OTOH I was certainly glad that they did put out those titles, and I bought them both the day they came out. MC was right, yes, but at the same time seeing the titles in used bins all over Boston would indicate to me that somebody at least bought them new when they were released... unless you were seeing promo copies. In both my record-store and DJ experience, I've rarely seen promos of Blue Note reissues come through, though I know bigger stores and stations may have gotten them; I always got the impression that BN was reluctant to send them out (quite possibly because the jazz reissue market is so small to begin with that they actually feared hurting sales through promo distribution, instead of enhancing them. That was my theory, anyway, FWIW).

I'm sorry, on another topic, that the Mosaic Singles series didn't work out. I had high hopes for that as a way of continuing to reissue interesting/less-than-big-name jazz titles, but evidently not enough buyers for them... :(

• 1 month later...