Upcoming Mosaic Selects

Alan's website still says that the Freddie Slack and Johnny Richards Selects will be released sometime this month. Mum's the word on the Mosaic website. That's a little strange, as I would expect there to be some sort of pre-release announcement if they are coming out in a matter of weeks. Is anyone aware of the actual street date? I'm kind of looking forward to both of these.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I'll need a lot of persuasion to purchase that Freddie Slack!

Why? :huh: (or are you being facetious? :unsure: )

I'm rather serious!

I have a lot of items on my TO BUY radar! Too many, in fact :cool:

I'll probably be passing the Slack Select! Unless some of the people here whose opinion I trust prove me I'm in error :beee:

I'll need a lot of persuasion to purchase that Freddie Slack!

Why? :huh: (or are you being facetious? :unsure: )

I'm rather serious!

I have a lot of items on my TO BUY radar! Too many, in fact :cool:

I'll probably be passing the Slack Select! Unless some of the people here whose opinion I trust prove me I'm in error :beee:

I wouldn't at all say it is an essential purchase.

I'm getting it because I have (and ENJOY) the material with Ella Mae and want the rest that surrounds it. I like it, it's boogie woogie Western style swing stuff and I find I like to listen to a little bit of that from time to time. The transfer and mastering should be top notch, and the booklet will fill me in on Slack, I don't know THAT much about him. And I finally got a bit of an increase at work (after four years of NOTHING I got a 2000 dollar one time bonus) and so I wanted to celebrate with something!

Edited by jazzbo

I pre-ordered both today. The Select concept is perfect for me. I'm getting exposure to some artists that I wouldn't have otherwise - with the Mosaic treatment without the full-set price.

I've ordered them all so far and unless/until there is just an absolute stinker, plan to continue.

I have a lot of other things to buy first, but the Slack I have, with Ella Mae Morse, is quite enjoyable. When I first heard that stuff it was a kick to realize that white R&B goes back a long time before Rock and Roll -- Slack and Morse were doing something roughly equivalent to what Louis Jordan was doing at the same time.

Love that "Cow Cow Boogie." At one point I was considering putting together an acoustic string band that played tunes like "Cow Cow Boogie," "I'm an Old Cowhand," Herb Jeffries's Bronze Buckaroo songs, and Jimmy Rowles's "Ballad of Thelonious Monk." Not really Western Swing, but more your basic Harlem Cowboy repertoire.

Who knows, I may still do it.