Chick Corea

Jazz Kat

Guest akanalog

jag, i could not disagree with you more re: the original shit versus today's stuff.

however, different tastes i guess.

oops, i see the original return to forever on ECM was already recommended prior to my posting.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

well i will say one more thing-

you are right i guess people can be nostalgiac and a lot of the fusion put out in the 70s (and 60s and 80s) was stinky, but there is also a tendency for people to like new stuff because it is new. whether it is easier for people to connect with music that is being imagined concurrently to their existence or they can go see live when it passes through their town or it is just easier to find out about new stuff because it is nicer and shinier at the store and on your friend's tongue, it is an equally valid pitfall.

akanalog, right here right now vs nostalgia definitely plays a role ... but maybe it's more complex. Somebody earlier up said it all ended up getting bogged down in chops. That's part of what I think.

Late 60s early 70s ... plugging-in had a compelling, no, more than a compelling, an irresistable motivation. 'Cause maybe you could say something that you hadn't been able to say before. The attraction of the unknown. A new world.

Today, so much time has passed. Almost 4 decades.

The younger musicians I like seem to have come up not feeling compelled to amass enormous chops. Some of them have got them anyway. But primarily what they've done is absorb and internalize a vast amount of music from many genres and eras and world regions and are adding interesting angles and dimensions to the best of what's come before. It's this melding that's producing the innovation today. That's today's new world.

Another little piece: almost everyone looks to have discarded the lame synth sounds. Anyone with any talent on the electic side has raw sound as a central focus.

Guest akanalog

i think everyone on this board would generally agree the "chops" oriented stuff, no matter what era, sucks! if that is all you are hearing in a lot of older fusion i think you are missing something.

you were hyping some '75 miles in an earlier thread. i don't think mike henderson and reggie lucas are "chops" dudes, do you?

and i also remember discussing charlie hunter in a thread and i would say that at least half his appeal comes from his "chops".

not that this matters-different tastes.....

i think everyone on this board would generally agree the "chops" oriented stuff, no matter what era, sucks! if that is all you are hearing in a lot of older fusion i think you are missing something.

you were hyping some '75 miles in an earlier thread. i don't think mike henderson and reggie lucas are "chops" dudes, do you?

and i also remember discussing charlie hunter in a thread and i would say that at least half his appeal comes from his "chops".

not that this matters-different tastes.....

Can we all agree that music with no "chops" sucks, too? :)

also in 20 years i bet people are saying the same stuff about scott amendola you are saying about weather report, etc.

You're probably right.

Anyway it doesn't really matter 'cause I went to those WR shows and had a great time. But I don't like to listen to WR anymore.

I guess what finally did it for me on the fusion side was all that thumb-popping bass. That's when I went pure acoustic for years and years.

BTW, I'm not talking about anything approx up to date of Miles' retirement.

I don't really like the Elektric band anymore. My tastes move rapidly. I don't call my self a fusion fan. I'm no Weather Report fan, neither the hard stuff Tony Williams was putting out. I'm more into newer jazz artists, where the drummer does some back beat things, but doesn't forget about swinging. I need variety in my music.

Guest akanalog

I don't really like the Elektric band anymore. My tastes move rapidly. I don't call my self a fusion fan. I'm no Weather Report fan, neither the hard stuff Tony Williams was putting out. I'm more into newer jazz artists, where the drummer does some back beat things, but doesn't forget about swinging. I need variety in my music.

what?

what?

I gave him some of what I'm on.

• 1 year later...

chick corea: a complete fraud. the fact he was on a donald byrd record sickens me

He was also on several Blue Mitchell and Herbie Mann records.

Guy

Corea was also on Richard Davis' "Philosophy of the Spiritual".

I think that Corea is not a complete fraud, but that few artists with the talent he sometimes exhibits have released so many sub-par albums. He's inconsistent.

Guest donald petersen

chewy, that isn't fair.

he got into some bad stuff and it turned him into kind of a loser eventually.

but he had some good points...well whatever i never really loved that much that corea was selling-i liked his post-bop piano ("now he sings.." but it quickly got too loose and cold for me...i liked the OG return to forever concept but it got a little fey quickly...i liked the next (connors) return to forver but that became dimeolaized quickly...bits and blurps since then (his playing on "relaxin at camarillo"?)

his music with miles i didn't enjoy so much once dejohnette and airto came onboard...

but he wasn't a fraud. maybe he was a weak-minded idiot? but i don't think "fraud" is right...

or do you mean because he was from boston and not from some latin place?

chewy, that isn't fair.

he got into some bad stuff and it turned him into kind of a loser eventually.

but he had some good points...well whatever i never really loved that much that corea was selling-i liked his post-bop piano ("now he sings.." but it quickly got too loose and cold for me...i liked the OG return to forever concept but it got a little fey quickly...i liked the next (connors) return to forver but that became dimeolaized quickly...bits and blurps since then (his playing on "relaxin at camarillo"?)

his music with miles i didn't enjoy so much once dejohnette and airto came onboard...

but he wasn't a fraud. maybe he was a weak-minded idiot? but i don't think "fraud" is right...

or do you mean because he was from boston and not from some latin place?

I'm kind of surprised you are taking the chewy comment seriously...

edit: I largely agree with the Dip's comments except that I really like the Miles bands w/DeJohnette & Corea.

Guy

Edited by Guy

funny to see this thread up again on the day I bought another disc that I guess jazzkat should have tasted if he was still around:

P5099706595922_1.jpg

I quite agree with the alias-changing-one's assessment of Corea, though obviously I don't know that much about RTF (only original one for me, so far, but I haven't had an opportunity to check out later editions).

One more recent (1981...) release I enjoy a lot is the Montreux "eat carrots" gig with Joe Hen, Gary Peacock and Haynes - a mighty fine live set! I also found this one recently, but it's not as good as "Now He Sings...":

4353.jpg

But even in his sell-out moves Corea was also inconsistent. I listened to all of the DiMeola RTF albums last year, for the first time in years. I found "Where Have I Known You Before" and "No Mystery" to contain some interesting, fine cuts, and some dull stuff. I found "Romantic Warrior" to be a complete snooze-fest from start to finish. Why did I ever like it?

I thought that his Origin band was pretty good, and had real promise as a continuing unit, even if personnel changes would have been necessary over time--but then he dropped it, and to do what?

I can't get a handle on how Corea plans his career, or views himself as an artist.