Going to China

I just found out that I'll be teaching in China for four weeks this summer near Shanghai (actually Suzhou area), then taking two weeks to travel around.

Any suggestions/recommendations? tips/tricks?

Any board members there?

Places to find oop Mosaics? :D

Chinese Jazz?

Thanks

Nothing constructive but from conversations with various people who have travelled there on business, it's very, very hot and humid in summer and quite badly polluted with photo- chemical smog so it might be advisable to take some surgical masks. This comes from fellow Tokyo dwellers so it must be strikingly so for them to comment as Tokyo is notoriously obnoxious in summer with combinations of dizzying heat and humidity.

Claypone,

Being in Suzhou will give you the opportunity to travel to many other places, if you have time. Suzhou itself has lots of stuff to see, as it was the capital of the Wu kingdom for hundreds of years. Suzhou is very well known for its gardens. Anyway, some recommendations for things close to Suzhou:

- Shanghai (of course) - If you want live jazz, I have a friend that recommends the Cotton Club, but I've never been there. Shanghai is also the only place near Suzhou where you might find recorded jazz, but I would keep your expectations low. You won't get much of historical value in Shanghai, but check out the Shanghai Museum, which is probably the best museum in China. Go to the top of one of the tall buildings ini the Pudong area of town for some views of the skyline. Walk the Bund (Dongtan) at night. I can't remember the name of the area, but if you ask around, you'll be able to get some of the best dumplings in China in Shanghai.

- Nanjing - Lots of historical stuff to see here, including the tomb of Sun Yat-Sen (Zhongshan Ling) and the Ming tombs (Mingxiao Ling). Fuzi miao is an interesting place to walk around at night and shop. Nanjing also has the best potstickers (guotie) in China, in my opinion.

- Hangzhou - There are a couple interesting Buddhist monasteries here, but the main attraction is the West Lake. It's very beautiful. Hangzhou is also considered by many people to have the prettiest girls in China (and I don't disagree), if that sort of thing interests you. ;)

- Huangshan (The Yellow Mountain) - This will be a bit of a hike from Suzhou, but if you have a few days to do it, it's highly recommended. It's probably about 7-10 hours east of Suzhou by train. It's one of the prettiest places I've ever been. I recommend taking the tram up the mountain, not walking up and down. It's overpriced, but your knees will hurt really bad if you walk it. If you can, book a room at one of the hotels at the top and wake up early for the sunrise. You'll be glad you did.

- Luoyang - Even farther from Suzhou than Huangshan, but you might be able to pull it off if you take overnight trains. Interesting things in the area include Long Men Shi Ku (thousands of Buddhas carved into grottoes) and the Shao Lin monastery (fighting Buddhist monks).

I used a Lonely Planet book to get around, and it served me quite well. Yes, it will be very hot and humid in the summer, but I wouldn't bother with a surgical mask, as I never saw anyone else with one (I studied in Nanjing for a term). Buy bottled water, and don't even think about drinking anything out of the tap. Most of all, keep an open mind and have fun. Don't stick to the touristy places--walk around the cities you're in, get lost a bit, and try interacting with the locals. If you learn a little Chinese, it will be a lot more fun for you. Good luck!

Vibes,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to just travelling around on the weekends during my teaching, either by myself or with some of the students (who are Chinese English teachers)

I'm going to pick up a Learning Chinese cd in the next couple of days and I'll see what I can learn.

thanks again

I too will be in Asia (China and Japan) in August on business/pleasure, and yes the weather will suck. I will also be giving a lecture near Shanghai. I am actually going to spend 10 days in Japan also, where I'm going to attend the Tokyo Jazz Festival (Aug. 20 and 21). Gary Burton, Herbie Hancock, Terence Blanchard, and a bunch of others. I don't think the jazz in Shanghai will be very interesting, but Japan is a great place for jazz. Shanghai is only about 1000 miles from Tokyo.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_M

I was just reading an article in an airplane magazine on Shanghai and must say that from the pictures it looked like an incredible place to visit (especially for someone with a lot of bread). A sprawling metropolis of both new and ancient architecture, fascinating traditions and beautiful scenery, and stylish restaurants of appealing atmosphere and food (though I'm sure the prices were through the roof for the places featured in the article). It will be a great experience!

I'd think the only man-made object visible from outer space would be a must-see.

Plus there's scores of smokin' hot Chinese ladies! :tup

-  Nanjing - the Ming tombs (Mingxiao Ling).

-  Shanghai (of course) - If you want live jazz, I have a friend that recommends the Cotton Club, but I've never been there. 

..and a visit to the jazz lounge at the Peace Hotel is a must.

050429p001jpg.jpg

I agree w/you about the Ming Tombs -- fabulous.

Xian (start of the old Silk Road) w/its thousands of terra-cotta soldiers from the Qin Dynasty is also a must see imo.

the food will truly knock your socks off.  best offerings ever!!!  just make sure to don one of them masks whenever you venture by the open air dried fish markets, esp in 100 + august.

Knocking your socks off ain't the only thing the food will do to you, if you're not used to it. I recommend taking a generous supply of this:

promo.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions, etc. My hospital has a great travel clinic, and they will give me stuff for gastro-intestinal problems as well as some antibiotics.

Now I just have to decide what music I will load on my tablet pc. :w