J&R Sale

BbM7

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks for posting this... so much for my taking time off on new purchases. I managed to stop myself at the following, all at the $7 price.

Albert Ayler - Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe

Dollar Brand - Duke Ellington Presents The Dollar Brand Trio

Charles Earland - Black Talk!

Duke Ellington - Latin American Suite

Duke Ellington - The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse

Duke Ellington - Ellington Uptown

Duke Ellington - Masterpieces By Ellington

Duke Ellington - Black, Brown And Beige

Don Ellis - Electric Bath

Booker Ervin - The Blues Book

Yusef Lateef - The Sounds Of Yusef

Yusef Lateef - Other Sounds

Yusef Lateef - The Centaur And The Phoenix

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

Charles Mingus - Town Hall Concert

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now!

Archie Shepp - The Cry Of My People

Lennie Tristano - Lennie Tristano/The New Tristano

There is an overwhelming amount of stuff here, I had to stop myself from clicking into all of the Art Peppers. I found that the following link was a good way to dig through the 2400+ discs on sale.

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Ns...8670+151&Ne=582

There is an overwhelming amount of stuff here, I had to stop myself from clicking into all of the Art Peppers.

Yeah, I had the same problem. But I wanted a good mix, so I just grabbed one Pepper. I snagged-

We'll Be Together Again/ Ammons & Stitt

Soprano Sax/Steve Lacy

Sail Away/Tom Harrell

Jazz at the Blackhawk/Cal Tjader

Coop! The Music of Bob Cooper

Screamin' the Blues/Oliver Nelson

You Get More Bounce with Curtis Counce (always wanted that cover... :g )

Out There/Eric Dolphy

Latin Concert/Vince Guaraldi

This Here is Bobby Timmons

Gettin Together!/Art Pepper

The Hawk Flys High/Coleman Hawkins (on my list for 6 years now; 'bout time!)

Mean What You Say/Thad Jones & Pepper Adams

I just called and they told me these prices also hold for the retail store. Looks like the chances of an NYC trip this weekend just went way up!

Oh man. J&R is only two train rides away, I can be there in less than an hour. Looks like I might visti on Sat. afternoon. :rfr

Cleaned off a lot of my want list for only $84:

Gene Krupa Plays Gerry Mulligan (LPR)

From Left To Right - Bill Evans (VBR)

California Here I Come - Bill Evans (LPR)

Sweets (LPR)

Cal Tjader's Latin Concert (OJC)

Feelin' Free - Barney Kessel (OJC)

In Person - Vince Guaraldi (OJC)

Latin Side of Vince Guaraldi (OJC)

Stan Getz w/Cal Tjader (OJC; I know, I know.....)

How My Heart Sings - Bill Evans (OJC)

Magic Touch - Tadd Dameron (OJC)

Oughta last me a while!

Just the other day when ordering another Jazz In Paris box from CD Universe for a gift I threw in 3 OJCs for myself as I wasn't expecting to make an alldirect order for awhile. Not the best of timing there. :rolleyes:

I tried to hold back as I really want to pick up the Hot Record Society box from Mosaic soon.

Kenny Burrell/Coleman Hawkins - Bluesy Burrell

Sonny Criss - Portrait Of Sonny Criss

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis/Tate/Hawkins/Cobb - Very Saxy

Booker Ervin - The Space Book

Stan Getz/J.J. Johnson - At The Opera House

Coleman Hawkins w/ the Red Garland Trio

Jackie McLean Quintet - Lights Out!

Blue Mitchell Quintet - Out Of The Blue

Thelonious Monk Quintet - Monk (OJC)

Thelonious Monk Quartet - In Action

Sonny Stitt - New York Jazz

The OJCs tossed in at the higher price w/ CD U were Hawkins "Hawk Eyes" & "Soul" (as suggested by Chuck in the big OJC thread) plus Pepper Adam's "10 To 4 At The 5-Spot."

Yup, I'm a wee bit interested in Coleman of late. :)

I've just ordered five. My shipping charge was $2.95 for the first CD, and $0.50 for each CD thereafter. That averages a dollar per CD, which is fair enough.

My picks:

Shelly Manne - At the Black Hawk, Vol. 1

Soft Machine - Third

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land

Miles Davis - Highlights from the Plugged Nickel

Herbie Mann - At the Village Gate

None of these was an impulse buy. I've wanted each of them for a long time. Four are new to me. I bought the Soft Machine album back in '71 when it was a year old after I was impressed by its follow-up; and I've wanted to play it along with my CDs for some time.

Edited by GA Russell

I'm in New York for the weekend and swung by J&R today. Unfortunately you guys had already depleted a lot of the OJCs I wanted. Bastards. ;) Still was able to pick up 10 discs, though!

Gigi Gryce: Rat Race Blues

Joe Henderson in Japan

Pat Martino: El Hombre

Phineas Newborn: A World of Piano

Cannonball Adderley in New York

non OJC:

Jason Lindner & the Ensemble: Premonition

Helen Merrill: S/T with Clifford Brown (strangely, the back tray card looks like a Japanese edition)

Miles Davis: Four and More, Seven Steps to Heaven, Miles in Tokyo

Thinking about picking up some OJC (and non) items:

Cyrus Chestnut - Dark Before Dawn

Dave Pike - Manhattan Latin

Howard McGhee - Maggie's Back in Town

Vince Guaraldi - Bola Sete

Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions of Eurasia & Jazz Impressions of Japan.

Jaki Byard - On The Spot (particlaly recorded at the famous Lennie's-On-The-Turnpike in Peabody, Mass!!! Anyone ever go to Lennie's) ?

Art Taylor - Taylor's Tenors

Btw, regarding this 'limit 2 per customer' biz.....a related bit in today's paper about grocery store marketing and the clever use of 'limit' (scroll down) a bit.

Anyone try to buy 3 of any particular title at J&R????? :g

When Too Much Is Never Enough

How Supermarkets Use Psychology to Get Us to Go Overboard

By Joyce Gemperlein

Special to The Washington Post

Sunday, May 29, 2005; Page F05

In the picture book "Mrs. Pig's Bulk Buy," Sorrol, Benjamin, Sarah, Cindy, Bryony, Hilary, Toby, Alun, William and Garath beat their addiction to ketchup after their mom buys vats of the stuff and serves it every which way -- even for breakfast.

I thought of Mrs. Pig recently when, in Aisle 6 of my local supermarket, shoppers competed for bottles of ketchup, each the size of a pork butt, that were marked with a small sign: "2 for $4.99." One elderly gentleman, who most certainly did not have 10 little piggies at home, loaded six 50.5-ounce bottles into his cart. He had a smile on his face that read: It's not every day that a man heroically captures 19 pounds of any condiment, much less America's favorite.

Marketers who deal with goods and services that many of us have to be dragged into buying -- colonoscopies and vacuum cleaner bags come to mind -- really should jump onto the buy-one-get-one-free/limit 12/while supplies last bandwagon that is careering through supermarkets. It's not a new come-on, but it seems to be functioning at unprecedented levels in grocery stores, especially in suburban areas. (After all, one must do something with all that cubic footage in the van, the pantry and the huge refrigerator in the newly renovated great room.)

Like you, one side of my brain knows why supermarkets run such specials. It's not a favor; they want more of our money. Still, why do scads of us who otherwise conduct our lives fairly wisely buy 12 jars of smoked oysters? Why did my friend Anne Ackerman once come home with three mega-size cans of furniture wax even though, as a newlywed just starting out, she had no furniture?

Brian Wansink, who studies such behavior, says shoppers invariably report -- and sincerely believe -- that they buy more than they need because "it is such a bargain." But Wansink, professor of marketing at Cornell University, says we are fooling ourselves. Psychologists, market researchers and advertisers have known for decades that there are deeper psychological reasons why, in such situations, we take leave of our senses.

First, take a look at BOGOs, Wansink says. BOGOs are buy-one-get-one-free deals. BOGOs have existed in the grocery industry for many years and are a favorite because they drive up volume and can make a customer loyal to a product or store.

The word "free" is key here. Need I explain its lure? "Free" reverberates through the human mind like some sort of endorphin. We are drawn to any product associated with it and feel blessed -- nay, victorious, joyful! -- to have something for nothing. We get a warm and cuddly feeling for the store that allowed us to feel this way.

Then there are the bulk deals, the ones that typically offer multiple units for one price. Often the savings is minimal -- I once bought six cans of tuna and saved 1 cent each -- but Wansink points out that signage of any type generally raises awareness -- and sales. (Unless there is too much signage. Signage clutter can actually cancel out the effectiveness of all signs, he says.)

Many people mistakenly think that if you don't buy the suggested number in a package offer, you won't get the discount. This misconception works in the retailer's favor.

Wansink explains that the number offered for one price is actually a suggestion to shoppers. He says that marketers don't necessarily expect people to buy that many. The number acts as a motivator. It encourages people to raise their "anchors."

Anchors are the number of units of any product that a customer goes into a store thinking he or she will purchase. Research shows that when shoppers see a sign that offers, say, 10 for $4, they may not buy 10, but they will revise their anchors upward.

Even if the store loses money giving one item away in a BOGO or has drastically cut the price in a multiple-item deal, the retailer benefits. Your purchase means that you will be stocked up and won't be shopping for that item at a competitor's store anytime soon, Wansink explains.

"The typical person shops at 2.3 grocery stores in a week, and that includes the 7-Eleven. Typically, 37 items are bought in a major shopping trip," Wansink says. Offering you two units for the price of one or offering you 10 for $3 "locks you out of shopping for that category at another store," he says. "The store may lose money, but that's a lot better for them than you going to another store."

Like "free," "limit" makes us humans crazy. Any parent of a teenager or toddler knows that if we are told we can't have it, we want it. Robert B. Cialdini, Regents professor of psychology at Arizona State University and the author of several books on persuasion and influence, says the perception that, say, there is a scarcity of ketchup makes us want desperately to have it. Thus, signs that say, for example, "Limit 10" are meant to trigger the feeling that 11 or more are unobtainable and, thus, more valuable and desirable.

(Does anyone know what happens if you try to check out with 12? Does the clerk refuse to sell them to you? I'm too frightened of authority to try.)

Cialdini says that in an experiment, testers rated chocolate chip cookies. One jar contained two cookies. Another contained lots more. The subjects routinely rated cookies from the jar containing two as tastier and more desirable than the ones in the jar containing many. When the people were told they could have only two of a batch of cookies because they were scarce, they consistently rated them higher than those that were presented with no limits.

The "limit" and "bulk buy" strategies link to another human characteristic that can get ugly.

When I saw that man loading his basket with ketchup, with other customers milling around, my pulse quickened. Would there be enough left for me? You could call this greed, but Cialdini more kindly dubs it "social proof."

He says I wanted to be a part of the group. Cialdini says humans determine what is correct by finding out what other people think is correct.

This is also linked to the survival instincts of all animals, including us. Competition for resources exists throughout the animal kingdom. He cites "chumming" as an example. Chumming is when fishermen throw out bait and schools of fish flock to it. They snap at it with furious competitiveness. They do so even with hooks containing no bait.

"The joy is not in experiencing a scarce commodity but in possessing it," even if it is only a pound of ground round, according to Cialdini.

Wansink and his researchers have done many experiments plumbing the depths of our willingness to buy lots of anything that seems to be on sale. There's only one category in which limits, BOGOs and multiple-unit offers didn't work: 30-pound bags of dog food.

Really? I'd buy them. And I don't even own a dog.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen