4. I`m An Ordinary Man

5. The Rain In Spain

6. I Could Have Danced All Night

7. Ascot Gavotte

8. On The Street Where You Live

9. You Did It10. Show Me

11. Get Me To The Church On Time

12. I`ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face

Muy interesante, usted no convendría, Sr. Rojo? B-)

I expect mine is a reissue although I was not aware there had been more than one edition of the record. I'll try to post a photo of the cover when I get home tonight. I double-checked it before my first post, and unless I'm hallucinating, they were all there.

I do know that the tracks highlighted below as new are on my vinyl. I've listened to it many times and I've always been amused at Sheldon's inflections on "Why Can't the English?".

Given the fact that each side of the lp is presented as a continous recording, I wonder why those tracks were ever left off?

Edited by Pete B

Wait a minute - are we talking about 2 different albums here? Didn't Manne do one later when he was on Capitol? I've had the Contemporary album since the late '50's, (and a couple of CD versions) - never came across any extra material.

Pete's talking about the Capitol LP. B-)

Shelly Manne My Fair Lady (Unoriginal Cast) (Capitol 2173) 1964

Shelly Manne,Jack Sheldon,Irene Kral,Don Sleet,Charlie Kennedy,Russ Freeman,Monty Budwig,Johnny Williams (arr)

overture,why can't the english,wouldn't it be loverly,with a little bit of luck,i'm an ordinary man,the rain in spain,i could have danced all night,ascot gavotte,on the street where you live,you did it,show me,get me to the church on time,i've grown accustomed to her face

Edited by Jim R

Wait a minute - are we talking about 2 different albums here?  Didn't Manne do one later when he was on Capitol?  I've had the Contemporary album since the late '50's, (and a couple of CD versions) - never came across any extra material.

I think you're right--the image on the HMV site appears to have a Capitol logo in the upper-right-hand corner. And TOJCs are primarily EMI titles, aren't they?

So it's not the Contemporary version (the original one!) but the Capitol. There's great music on that album.

Got my copy a long time ago. A freebie from Fred C. at the Jazz Record Center during one of my first visit - when it was still at its earlier adress - there. We did some trades. Or to put in different words, after he finished his business with me :(

I have learned better since!

The reference to Jack Sheldon got me thinking of the Manne's capitol "Lady" lp & I googled it. It got a Grammy nomination in 1964 (for "Best Instrumental Jazz Performance - Large Group or Soloist with Large Group"), though it lost out to Laurindo Almeida's "Guitar from Ipanema".

Rod Levitt's "Dynamic Sound Patterns of the Rod Levitt Orchestra" was also nominated, which I found surprising.

For best "Rock and Roll Recording", Grammy voters showed their savvy by passing over the Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" in favor of "Downtown" by Petula Clark!

I always was lukewarm on the Capitol album - it was okay, maybe a little ambitious (and not in the good sense of the word) compared to the more famous version (done in one evening!) - I'd like to hear it again, though. But Manne's other Capitol album - the Gershwin one - was very good. That seems to have disappeared.