Sam Rivers Trio in Tucson May 21st

Sam looked to be breathing a little bit laboured at times on the UK gigs. Maybe he has a bit of asthma? In any event, the tenor playing was well up to scratch and he was pretty dynamic in directing the big band he toured with. Huge kudos to him to keep touring and playing, if that is the case.

Edited by sidewinder

With bittersweet emotions I was not present at the Sam Rivers performance in Tucson. I was nearly on my way to the show, then wasn't.

After reading of Sam Rivers' performance in Santa Fe I did not want to learn of a disappointing performance in Tucson. I did not want to alter my positive impression/view of the younger man who created so many wild/cool sounds on CONTOURS and FUCHSIA SWING SONG. If the elevation was too much for Rivers in Santa Fe then there would be equal negatives in Tucson, in my mind. Considering the all-day bus ride from Santa Fe to Tucson combined with the 100+ Tucson temperature... well, it wouldn't bode well for the man. Breathing problems and excessive heat don't seem a good mixture to me.

At the same time there aren't many of the jazz greats still playing. I had my single opportunity to see Sam Rivers 'live' just a few miles from where I live. I didn't take the opportunity. Sometimes I think too much into things. This may have been a situation where less thinking and more action on my part would have proved beneficial.

I'm glad to read of Soulstation1's positive review of the performance. I wish the best to Mr. Rivers. I'm glad he gave me the opportunity to see him play. At 81 years of age I hope he continues to be/play well.

Edited by wesbed

Sam played in Baltimore a month or so ago, in the Peabody Institute. He was a guest instructor or something for a week there, along with his longtime drummer and bass player. They held a concert with the Peabody Jazz Orchestra, playing tunes from his two big band RCA cds for the second session, and just the trio for the first. Two hours of non stop Rivers, and it was brilliant. No breathing problem here -- he was just amazing.

Sam played in Baltimore a month or so ago, in the Peabody Institute.  He was a guest instructor or something for a week there, along with his longtime drummer and bass player.  They held a concert with the Peabody Jazz Orchestra, playing tunes from his two big band RCA cds for the second session, and just the trio for the first.  Two hours of non stop Rivers, and it was brilliant.  No breathing problem here -- he was just amazing.

Ohhhhh :( sugar. I totally forgot about that gig until a day or two after. I was comforting myself by thinking it wouldn't be a "real" Sam Rivers gig, what with it being something student-related.

@##%@%$@#^#$#$@^#$@!!!!!!!!

• 7 months later...