Led Zeppelin II remaster

Guy Berger

I have what I think is the original CD issue of the 2nd Led Zeppelin album and the sound is terrible.  How do most recent masterings compare?  Is "Moby Dick" the greatest rock riff of all time or what?

Guy

You might want to do a search on the Steve Hoffman forum about this CD. Led Zep's CDs, both the early reissues and the later remasters, have been discussed exhaustively over there.

There was a photo of Plant in the Wash Post yesterday.  Talk about a guy who looks drawn & beat.    Not Iggy or Richards beat..........but beat.

Technology hasn't gotten to the point where we can remaster people. Though some of these old rock guys have suffered from excessive noise reduction.

Guy

There was a photo of Plant in the Wash Post yesterday.  Talk about a guy who looks drawn & beat.    Not Iggy or Richards beat..........but beat.

Technology hasn't gotten to the point where we can remaster people. Though some of these old rock guys have suffered from excessive noise reduction.

Guy

:g

I saw him on Charlie Rose last week, and I thought he looked pretty good for an aging rocker, actually. His new album is supposed to be his best, as well.

Meanwhile.......I may have to get that LZ II remaster.

Guest akanalog

i too saw plant on charlie rose and thought he looked pretty good and he spoke very articulately and intelligently about whatever it was they were talking about. i was impressed.

i too saw plant on charlie rose and thought he looked pretty good and he spoke very articulately and intelligently about whatever it was they were talking about.  i was impressed.

After seeing that show I found myself completely re-evaluating Led Zep. I never really liked them after their 2nd album. But now after all these years, I'm giving them another chance and ordered the "How The West Was Won" and "Physical Graffiti" albums.

i too saw plant on charlie rose and thought he looked pretty good and he spoke very articulately and intelligently about whatever it was they were talking about.  i was impressed.

After seeing that show I found myself completely re-evaluating Led Zep. I never really liked them after their 2nd album. But now after all these years, I'm giving them another chance and ordered the "How The West Was Won" and "Physical Graffiti" albums.

The first half of PG is really good, the second half sucks. I think Houses of the Holy is much better.

Guy

I think everyone has their own favorite and everyone is right. They are all good and all different. They are a band that evolved album to album and did it year to year not decade to decade.

Personal preference may make you gravitate towards one more than the others and over time you can find yourself changing your mind about about which one is "the best." That's part of their genius.

Most of their music stands up very well over time, dare I say it's timeless. More relavent today than 80's glam or even 90's grunge. My mother LOVED the music in that Cadillac commercial and used to turn it up real loud. She was floored when I told her that was Zep! A hilarious moment indeed!

And yes, they did invent Heavy Metal. "Good Times, Bad Times" and "Communication Breakdown" are more than just heavy blues. Black Sabbath was released the following year.

Oh yeah, the remastered are a big improvement over the old releases. Get it, Get em all!

Edited by scottb

I'm still in shock reading Guy's comment about the first half of PHYSICAL GRAFFITI being great and the 2nd half sucking...I think it's Zep's best record overall and sides 3 and 4 were always my favorites precisely because they are less over-exposed on radio and push the envelope a bit. Plus hey - if you want proto-Zep hard stuff, uh, "The Wanton Song" may be IT and it's on side 4...

Off point a bit, but: my favorite ever "quote about Zeppelin" came from REM's guitarist Peter Buck, who said (paraphrasing here) that he loved the LP PRESENCE (which I do too - even with Plant's shot vocal chords and all) because "the guitars all sound like they're made of metal."

Edited by DrJ