Upgrading the software...

So, with the new server running great (so far) but keeping in mind the downtime of the last week, when would you folks like me to attempt to upgrade the forum software from version 1.3 to version 2.0? I paid for 2.0 months ago (1.3 was free) and I'd love to use it. I did confirm that this server has XML support, which the last one did not (I found that out the hard way if you recall.)

The upgrade should not take long... a few hours. Could I try Wednesday night?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the instructions recommend backing up the database before running the upgrader. Of course, that means waiting a LONG time, since our database is so huge and we've already added 2,000+ posts since I backed up the database and moved it over to this new server. So...

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to just append my previous back-up with the new data.

Probably not....

Everything seems snappier, but there aren't many users on now.

I like what I see!

I guess the style sheets don't transfer, eh?

Not very well, no. And it has an "Easy CSS editor" which gives you a kind of WYSIWYG editing mode, but I just read a big long thread on the IPB forums about how it's extremely buggy and can mess everything up big-time. So they suggest, until 2.1 comes out, to just code it straight-up.

Blah.

:)

Thanks!!! I really should get to bed, so we'll have to deal with the crappy colors for a bit longer, but as you can see, I've started getting the old colors in. It'll be a trial and error process and I figure out what does what.

But I am digging this software! Dudes, check out "My Controls". It gives you a list of your recently viewed topics, among other things. WAY COOL!

I'll give the ol' upload feature a test here:

Does that mean there are no more bulky oversized pics in the threads? Great!

- Some features to get used to, like the reply and quote buttons are at the bottom of the post now, and you have to deactivate quote before you post. Very nice features. Great job! :tup