question for bev or anyone else in the UK...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

hello there bev or anyone else in the UK...

over at the AAJ board there is a very long thread or two about upcoming british jazz reissues.

but there is nothing over here.

so could anyone in the know please lay down what is coming out and when?

is there a batch of dutton/vocalion stuff coming out sometime in may?

how about any new universal/impressed stuff?

i am excited for anything new but cannot get any information here in the US (or on the duttonlabs site) about any of this yet and wading through the AAJ threads was difficult due to its sprawling nature. i tried to ask them down at downtown music gallery (where i bought my michael gibbs dutton reissue), but as they are wont to do, they somehow tried to make me feel like i didn't know what i was talking about even though i suspect i had more information than they did.

i know there is a surman and a collier coming out on cunieform because i have picked them up already.

they are both ok. the surman is decent but nothing grounbreaking. sort of tame compared to nucleus or soft machine. and the collier suffers from some bad sound quality, though i think the version of darius is superior to the version on "darius" that thom jurek goes so bonkers for.

thank you for any information, guys.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

seriously, the first like 20 minutes of the second collier disc sound like crap. why choose this show for release? and it isn't like the rest of the music sounds so great anyway, at least on my cheap mini system.

These are the releases promised:

CDSML8400 Michael Garrick Sextet/The Heart is a Lotus

CDSML8401 Terry Durham/Crystal Telephone

CDSML8403 Henry Lowther Band/Child Song

CDSML8404 Paul Gonsalves/Humming Bird

CDSML8405 Chitinous Ensemble/Chitinous

CDSML8406 Alan Skidmore Quintet/Once Upon a Time

CDSML8407 Mike Westbrook/Mike Westbrook's Love Songs

CDSML8409 The John Cameron Quartet/Off Centre

CDSML8411 Michael Garrick Septet/Black Marigolds

i tried to ask them down at downtown music gallery (where i bought my michael gibbs dutton reissue), but as they are wont to do, they somehow tried to make me feel like i didn't know what i was talking about even though i suspect i had more information than they did.

:g

he heh.

yeah, those boys got a little too much "High Fidelity" rolling around the brain.

purveyors of talent who are not themselves are often a laughable bunch.

These are the releases promised:

CDSML8400 Michael Garrick Sextet/The Heart is a Lotus

CDSML8401 Terry Durham/Crystal Telephone

CDSML8403 Henry Lowther Band/Child Song

CDSML8404 Paul Gonsalves/Humming Bird

CDSML8405 Chitinous Ensemble/Chitinous

CDSML8406 Alan Skidmore Quintet/Once Upon a Time

CDSML8407 Mike Westbrook/Mike Westbrook's Love Songs

CDSML8409 The John Cameron Quartet/Off Centre

CDSML8411 Michael Garrick Septet/Black Marigolds

I would say just go ahead and buy the whole lot of these, if you can. Some of these are extremely rare on vinyl e.g. the 'Chitinous Ensemble'.

I can strongly recommend the Henry Lowther, the Garrick 'Black Marigolds' and the John Cameron. These are three of my favourite British Jazz vinyls.

I'm looking forward to the Chitinous, the Garrick 'Heart Is' and the Skid as I don't have these. This will probably be my third Westbrook 'Love Songs' with the original vinyl and the Jap CD but this Dutton reissue will have two additional tracks with the 'Original Peter' 45rpm single plus one other.. ;)

Edited by sidewinder

That's the Dutton stuff but it comes from Deram and Argo originals which are part of Universal now. Don't know if Universal reissues British Jazz too, don't think so.

I think Universal are concentrating on the UK Columbia (Lansdowne), Fontana and UK Verve material. They put out Garrick's 'Troppo' in the last batch, which was an Argo on vinyl, but that was the exception.

To say that this reissue batch is eagerly awaited here would be an understatement. Up there with Haley's Comet B-)

Edited by sidewinder

Guest akanalog

ok which reissue batch is the best ever? this dutton one?

no one has answered yet-is there going to be another IMPRESSED reissue batch coming out soon? i heard for instance perhaps another amancio d'silva or whatever would be part of this batch. is this happening sometime soon?

Yes - this Dutton batch (that's just a personal opinion B-) ).

Last I heard there was also another batch of 'Impressed Repressed' in the works which I thought was going to come out this month but no sign yet. I believe that Neil Ardley's 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' and 'Symphony of Aramanths' were in the lineup, along with Harriott/D'Silva 'Hum Dono'. Not sure if there's any news on AAJ on this batch.

ok which reissue batch is the best ever? this dutton one?

I'm not sure seeking 'the best ever' is a fruitful approach to exploring UK reissues (or anything else for that matter).

There's a vast swathe of recorded UK jazz that lies unissued and the diffuse nature of its ownership means it will come out in fits and starts.

I'm not looking for the Holy Grail in these reissues. I am hoping for music that will please me, interest me, by musicians who I've come to enjoy through other recordings.

Where it lies in someone's 'best ever' chart I leave to the music magazines!!!!

Guest akanalog

i'm not looking for anything out of these albums but come on-over at AAJ people are going bonkers! i am not saying you bev, but some of the people on that board have an unparalleled passion for british jazz and this batch of dutton reissues.

Guest akanalog

actually i have been away from this thread too long-don't respond to me, bev. sidewinder, right here in this thread, is incredibly pumped up about these duttons. i don't know them at all which is why i am asking about them. i didn't say anything hyperbolic...

though if true fans of british jazz are excited then i am excited too since there must be good reason to feel this way.

Edited by akanalog

Yes, that is true - I am pretty well pumped up over this batch of issues and have been hanging out on AAJ conversing with the Brit Jazz fanatics over there who feel the same way. I'm particularly enthused over some of the titles I have not got on vinyl such as the 'Chitinous Ensemble', the Michael Garrick 'Heart is a Lotus' and the Alan Skidmore. These are all very hard to track down. Several of the items I do have on vinyl (the Henry Lowther 'Child Song', the John Cameron/Harold McNair 'Off Centre' and the Westbrook 'Love Songs' are all very good indeed and should be snapped up without hesitation. I think you will like this batch.

In an ideal world though these would also be reissued on 200g vinyl medium by some outfit such as Classic or 4MWB (and not 'GetBack' ;)) - however beggars can't be choosers in this instance.. :rsly:

Edited by sidewinder

Oh, don't get me wrong, akanalog. I'm fascinated by these releases.

The posters you refer to at AAJ are much more intense about this music than I am - there's a couple who seem to write about the music, do sleeve notes etc. So its quite understandable that they should be excited about these releases.

For me the UK jazz of the 60s is music before my listening time so I'm more intrigued than champing at the bit. I'm actually more excited by the jazz currently being made in the UK.

Just a matter of personal choice and the different degrees with which we respond to different things.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Guest akanalog

my folks happen to be in london right now and it looks like these duttons are out in the UK so i text messaged my parents a list. hopefully they walk by a hmv or a virgin records or something and they got them. i can't imagine if these CDs are in the big stores or not...

i made my list this way-

1.mike garrick-heart is a lotus

2.henry lowther-child song

3.chitinous ensemble-chitinous

4.john cameron-off centre

5.john taylor-pause and think again (still looking for this one)

6.alan skidmore-once upon a time

7.mike garrick-black marigolds

8.john surman-tales of the algonquin

doubt my parents will see any of these, but whatever...

hey cliffthornton-the discs are supposed to be out now according to dutton. google "dutton vocalion" to find the website and it lists them as being out now. sorry i don't have the link to the site handy.

According to Amazon UK the release date is May 30th. I haven't seen any of these for sale as yet but will keep my eyes peeled this weekend. With a bit of luck they will be available to purchase (and actually there on the shelves ;)) during the weekend of the Bath Festival.

akanalog - if your parents are in the London area the best place to look for these would probably be in the HMV at Picadilly Circus (the old Tower Records) or at 'Ray's Jazz' in the Foyles Bookstore in Charing Cross Road (Leicester Square tube). If they don't have them, other outlets would be unlikely.

Edited by sidewinder