Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

18h  · 
In 2022 I took a photo of Billy Harper in front of his childhood home in Houston, TX (the most important one). It was that night I felt I need to get him home to Houston to perform his own music with his own band under his own name. Many personal reasons why it would make sense, but it was not a rational contemplation followed by a decision. It was just one of those lightning bolts that Universe strikes your brain with. And we never know why.
Of course, I do know what passed between those Houston days and the present time. And if you knew what I know, you'd know how and why this is so very special. Talking about the ”inside scoop” about Third Ward, Little Man, Truxillo, Eldorado, E.E. Worthing, Vernell, UNT, and all the dramatic twists that unfolded up till this moment.
Honestly, I have rarely had to work SO hard on something as I did on this Texas homecoming for BHQ. But I have rarely felt SO passionate and determined to make a dream of mine into reality. The lightning bolt really left a mark 😀
And I'm so sorry to all my loves (you know who you are) for being MIA (I know I have a bunch of missed emails/ texts), but putting this tour together took every second of my day.
And to the generous folks who helped me / us - I love y'all and I can't thank you enough!! You have zero skin in the game here, and I know the only thing guiding you is sincere love for Billy Harper and his music... You are all deserving of a big long loud standing ovation: Bob Morgan, Rich Scheinin, David Dove, Gerri Seay, Barbara Rivetta Hendrix, Blanche McDaniel Valentine...
Thank you for seeing how important it is to get Billy ”home” with his group and for doing so much to help make it happen, and engaging great people ”on the ground” I never even met before, but who rolled up their sleeves and went above and beyond to make this happen. Talking about Eddy Hobizal, Elias Haslanger, David Detweiler, Chris Knight, Jesse McBride, Shelley Carroll... Fantastic people making great music happen!
And the band, omg the band - no words suffice. I am so friggin lucky I get to represent these five music masters Francesca, Aaron, Freddie, Dezron and Billy who happen to also be the most terrific human beings.
Of course, there is ginormous credit that goes to all the venues, but they each warrant a separate post further down the line.
I just felt I had to give thanks and acknowledge all these heroes who worked so hard to make my dream of Billy's ”homecoming” a reality. And what I really mean when I say ”Billy Harper”, is the ”Billy Harper Quintet”, of course. Don't tell anyone I said this, but.. it's not the real (BH) deal without them. The cikela does NOT come out for just anyone. 🖐🏼

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Billy Harper alert! Three concerts upcoming in June, in Houston and Austin.

June 14, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Eldorado Ballroom, Houston

June 15, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Monk's Jazz Club, Austin

June 16, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Stateside Theater, Austin

Epistrophy Arts & The State Theatre present

BILLY HARPER QUINTET

The State Theatre
Sunday, June 16, 2024

Doors: 6pm
Show: 7pm

In his early recordings and performances with leaders such as Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Max Roach, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Randy Weston and Gil Evans, during the 60s and 70s, Billy Harper already had a massive sound on the tenor saxophone, combining John Coltrane’s spiraling intensity with a bluesy brawn that pointed back to his Texas origins.

Harper’s authority has only grown with age: a half-century on, he stands as one of the most commanding horn men on the planet, a pillar of stirring post-bop jazz whose robust back catalog seems long overdue for rediscovery.

For half a century he has been performing his original music with the renowned Billy Harper Quintet all over the globe, and recording over a dozen albums as a leader and prolific composer.

After a pandemic induced hiatus, the Quintet sprung back into action, starting 2023 off with a series of #CapraBlackIsBack performances, marking a year long celebration of Billy Harper's 80th birthday, coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the group's official inception and their historic debut album Capra Black, the impact of which still lingers among jazz listeners worldwide.

Francesca Tanksley has been the pianist in this group for more than 40 years – a clear attestation of the wide ranging concensus that her extraordinary musicality cannot be matched nor replaced when it comes to Billy Harper’s opus.

Renowned master drummer Aaron Scott, a longtime member of McCoy Tyner’s band, has also been in the group for decades and is a rare find among jazz drummers who can meet and surpass the challenge of doing Harper’s music justice.

Freddie Hendrix, one of the most in-demand jazz trumpeters of today, coveted for his uniquely soulful and exciting improvisations is also a longstanding member.

Finally, a newer but nevertheless perfectly matched addition to the group is the award-winning bassist Dezron Douglas whose artistry on the strings brings Harper’s compositions to a whole new level.

Thanks for the head's up!

Posted (edited)

June 14, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Eldorado Ballroom, Houston

June 15, 2024: Jugalbandi of Hindustani Flute By Praveen Godkindi and Carnatic Violin By Ambi Subramaniam - son of L Subramaniam -Yashwant Vaishnav (Disciple of PT Yogesh Samsi) On Tabla, Sowmi Narayanan on Ghatam, Akshay Anthapadmanabhan on Mridamgam, Durga Bari Auditorium, Houston

Billy Harper Quintet, Steve's Wine Bar, Denton

June 16, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Stateside Theater, Austin

June 18, 2024: Peggy Stern, Monk's Jazz Club, Austin

June 21, 2024: Buddy Guy, Shreveport Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Lousiana

June 22, 2024: Buddy Guy, Oaklawn Event Center, Hot Springs, Arkansas

June 29, 2024: Mokoomba, Thomas Mapfumo, African Vibration Festival, District 121, McKinney

July 3, 2024: Mokoomba, Antone's, Austin

July 18, 2024: John Primer, Antone's, Austin

August 24, 2024: Bobby Rush, Arlington Music Hall

September 14, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod) and Yashwant Vaishnav (Tabla), Allen (?)

September 20, 2024: Aba Diop Trio, Cullen Theater, Houston

September 21, 2024: Mandolin Rajesh (mandolin) and Rajhesh Vaidya (veena), Frisco

September 28, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod), Yashwant Vaishnav (tabla), Cullen Hall, Unverisy of Saint Thomas, Houston

October 4, 2024: Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Cullen Theater, Houston

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

October 6, 2024: Delvon  Lamarr Organ Trio, Antone's, Austin

October 11, 2024: Branford Marsalis, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

October 13, 2024: Branford Marsalis, UTD

October 17, 2024: Buena Vista Social Orchestra, Majestic Theater, Dallas

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flue), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Allen (?)

October 22, 2024: Joel Frahm Trio, JazzTX, San Antonio

October 24, 2024: Ebo Taylor, Radio/East, Austin

November 16, 2024: Matthew Whitaker, Eisemann Center, Richardson

December 6, 2024: Shemekia Copeland, Sam's Burger Joint, San Antonio

Terri Lynne Carrington's New Standards, Cullen Theater, Houston

December 7, 2024: Shemekia Copeland, Kessler Theater, Dallas

January 25, 2025: Lakecia Benjamin, Cullent Theater, Houston

February 14, 2025: Immanuel Wilkins Quartet, Zika Hall, Houston

March 1, 2025: Vijay Iyer Trio, Cullen Theater, Houston

March 15, 2025: Fort Worth African American Roots Music Festival

March 18, 2025: Anoushka Shankar, Eisemann Center, Richardson

March 27-30, 2025: Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, Tennessee

March 28, 2025: Jason Moran's Duke Ellington Project, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 11, 2025: Brad Mehldau Trio with Christian McBride, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 12, 2025: Hiromi's SonicWonder, UTD

April 24-27, May 1-4, 2025: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

UNT Jazz Community Event - Billy Harper Live at Steve's!

Date: Sat, Jun 15, 2024 
Time 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM 

BillyHarperQuintet.png

In partnership with UNT Jazz Community Events, Steve's Wine Bar Presents

The Billy Harper Quintet

In 1964, Harper was the first Black student accepted into the prestigious One O’Clock Lab Band. Billy Harper’s experience during integration paved a pathway for Black students at UNT, which is now a Minority-Serving Institution.

Billy has performed with the likes of Gil Evans, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Lee Morgan, The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra and many others solidifying him as the Jazz great he is today. “Billy is a griot, a storyteller,” said T.K. Blue, the saxophonist and flutist who performed with Harper for 30 years in bands led by the pianist Randy Weston. “I can hear the history of where he comes from in that music. It’s regal. I hear Africa. I hear Texas. I hear the blues.”, “...At 82, he is still a force in the community and turns heads with his sound and compositions.” The New York Times

BillyHarper.png

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

August 3, 2024: Catherine Russell, Victor Campbell Duo, Yusa and Mahmoud Chouki, Satchmo Summerfest, New Orleans

August 4, 2024: Doreen, Steve Lands and Kosmic Krewe, Shannon Powell, Jamil Sharif, Detroit Brooks, Satchmo Summerfest, New Orleans

August 8, 2024: Jon Cowherd, Jazz at the Joint, Little Rock

August 26, 2024: Eric Gales, Antone's, Austin

August 27, 2024: Eric Gales, Heights Theater, Houston

August 28, 2024: Eric Gales, Kessler Theater, Dallas

August 31, 2024: Bnois King Band, Larry Lampkin, Blues on Main, Ennis

September 1, 2024: Cassandra Wilson, Stanley Jordan, Riverfront Jazz Festival, Dallas Convention Center

September 9, 2024: John Hebert, Jazz at the Joint, Little Rock

September 14, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod) and Yashwant Vaishnav (Tabla), Allen (?)

September 21, 2024: Mandolin Rajesh (mandolin) and Rajhesh Vaidya (veena), Frisco

September 22, 2024: William Parker's Mayan Space Station, Rosette, Austin

September 25, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, Draylen Mason Music Studios, Austin

September 26, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, Deluxe Theater, Houston

September 28, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod), Yashwant Vaishnav (tabla), Cullen Hall, Unverisy of Saint Thomas, Houston

October 2, 2024: Buena Vista Social Orchestra, Paramount Theater, Austin

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

Buena Vista Social Orchestra, House of Blues, Houston

Selwyn Birchwood, Charles Bender Performing Arts Center, Houston

October 5, 2024: Bombino, White Water Tavern, Little Rock

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, Sam's Burger Joint, San Antonio

October 10, 2024: Bruce Forman, Jazz at the Joint, Little Rock

October 13, 2024: Branford Marsalis, University of Texas at Dallas

October 11-13, 2024: Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, Nikki Hill, Chris Thomas King, Kenny Neal, Little Freddie King, Crescent City Blues Festival, New Orleans

October 16, 2024: Buena Vista Social Orchestra, Charles McCombs Empire Theater, San Antonio

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flute), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Allen (?)

November 14, 2024: Rex Gregory, Jazz at the Joint, Little Rock

Dedember 8, 2024: Shemekia Copeland, Houston Blues Society

December 16, 2024: Gregory Porter, Winspear Opera House, Dallas

January 24, 2025: Bill Frisell Trio, Brauntex Theater, New Braunfels

January 25, 2025: Lakecia Benjamin, Cullen Theater, Houston

February 22, 2025: Emmet Cohen Trio, University of Texas at Dallas

March 19, 2025: Anoushka Shankar, Wortham Center, Houston

April 11, 2025: Brad Mehldau Trio with Christian McBride, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 12, 2025: Hiromi's SonicWonder, University of Texas at Dallas

Edited by kh1958

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.squarespac

We will welcome musician and storyteller Amadou Kouyate to Fort Worth on July 20th as part of our Community Visiting Artist Educator program!

The program brings experts to Fort Worth to provide innovative sessions and/or performances from various music disciplines.

About Amadou Kouyate:

Continuing the musical lineage of his father’s heritage, Amadou performs a musical montage on the 21-string kora and rhythmic presentations on djembe and koutiro drums. His repertoire ranges from traditional songs of the 13th century to contemporary original compositions incorporating blues and jazz.

In addition to his solo work, Amadou collaborates and performs with artists nationally and internationally, also with his world rock ensemble Proper SKANKS, and with Farafina Kan, WEEDOU Everything! and the Kouyate Family/Memory of African Culture. Selected credits include performances at The Kennedy Center, Smithsonian Institution, Bristol Academy and Isle of White (England), Tim Festival (Brazil), and Baltimore Rhythm Festival.

He was an Adjunct Lecturer of African music and Ethnomusicology at the University of Maryland as well as Director of the African Drum Ensemble. He has also served as an Artist-in-Residence with both Montgomery College and the renowned Strathmore Music Center and has been on faculty at American University, UMBC, Goucher College, and is currently on faculty at Howard University.

RSVP for Kouyate’s free all ages educational session here.

Buy tickets to Kouyate’s evening concert here.

Posted (edited)

Emmet Cohen Trio

Saturday, February 22, 2025 7:30pm

Edith O'Donnell Arts & Technology Building (ATC), ATC Lecture Hall

08d37b27deacb7cc902b354b6fd1e02e0659e254

EVENT DETAILS

Multifaceted American jazz pianist and composer Emmet Cohen is one of his generation’s pivotal figures. The internationally acclaimed jazz artist leads the Emmet Cohen Trio and headlines regularly at Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Village Vanguard, and Birdland in New York. His artistry has taken him to over 30 countries. His “Live From Emmet’s Place,” a live-streamed “Harlem rent party,” unites a worldwide audience via tens of millions of internet views.

Hiromi’s Sonicwonder

Saturday, April 12, 2025 7:30pm

6f9501674b034b55217081b4eeaa33657b4b9123

EVENT DETAILS

Lauded by The New York Times as “one of jazz piano’s most brazenly virtuosic players,” Grammy Award-winning pianist Hiromi and her Sonicwonder quartet create an all-electric wonderland of thrilling improvisation, funky arrangements, and exuberant music-making. Hiromi electrifies audiences with a creative energy that encompasses and eclipses the boundaries of jazz, classical, and pop, taking improvisation and composition to new heights of complexity and sophistication.

Saturday, April 12, 2025 at 7:30pm

800 W. Campbell Road, Richardson, Texas 75080-3021

The Branford Marsalis Quartet

Sunday, October 13, 2024 3pm

Arts and Technology Lecture Hall (ATC 1.102)

65e4b0dc4845d45871d2cd6a11c6a0dbe6f2b213

EVENT DETAILS

Critically acclaimed by the Los Angeles Times as representing “the highest echelon of jazz tenor saxophonists,” Branford Marsalis will perform
virtuosic improvisations and uncompromising interpretations of jazz classics as well as original music on the Orchestra Hall stage with his quartet, known for its extraordinary energy. Formed in 1986, the group comprises Marsalis (saxophone), Joey Calderazzo (piano), Eric Revis (bass), and Justin Faulkner (drums).

Sunday, October 13, 2024 at 3:00pm

Arts and Technology Lecture Hall (ATC 1.102)

Edited by kh1958

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Epistrophy Arts presents Tarbaby at Draylen Mason Music Studios at KMFA

Wed, September 25, 2024 08:00 PM - 11:00 PMCDT

41 Navasota St, Austin, TX 78702, USA

A collective trio of 20+ years “with an impeccable pedigree,” Tarbaby is “a freewheeling unit that has embodied the equilateral triangle concept of the piano trio since they convened in 2001. Featuring Grammy nominated pianist Orrin Evans, a “poised artist with . . . ideas at his command” (New York Times); Grammy winning bassist Eric Revis (a longtime Branford Marsalis collaborator); and drummer Nasheet Waits (son of jazz legend Freddie Waits and a key member of Jason Moran’s Bandwagon), the trio “stretches the jazz fabric without ripping it apart and absorbs everything from Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus to John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman, sending it all back in torrents of molten musicianship” (Jazz Times). Tarbaby has released several recordings including The End Of Fear (2010) and Dance of the Evil Toys (2022) featuring guest avant-garde elder statesman, saxophonist Oliver Lake. Cleanfeed Records writes, “Dance of the Evil Toys finds a rare balance between brute force and mathematical rhythmic signatures...one of the most exciting jazz bands around offer us, again, a magnificent opus.” The trio also released a second recording in 2022 featuring guest saxophonists Branford Marsalis, J.D. Allen and Bill McHenry on Evans’ Imani Records label, which he founded in 2001 and relaunched in 2018. Tarbaby is touring in support their new release 'You Think This America' on Giant Step Arts.

09/26/2024 Tarbaby

SEPTEMBER 26, 2024 8:00 PM

SEPTEMBER 26, 2024 10:00 PM

THE DELUXE THEATER

Nameless Sound presents ...

Tarbaby 

Orrin Evans - piano
Eric Revis - double bass
Nasheet Waits - drums

The three members of Tarbaby – pianist Orrin Evans, bassist Eric Revis, and drummer Nasheet Waits – share a long history together, dating back to well before the formation of the trio. They share core beliefs about acknowledging the over-arching tradition of the music while being true to one’s own story; they’re an ensemble of serious intentions and riotous humor, fervid spirit and fierce intellect, passion and purpose. All of that melds and collides in their provocative and risk-welcoming sound.

The New York Times has hailed the trio as, “a strong postbop collective with plenty of moves at its command: advanced rhythmic calculus, sly harmonic implication, [and] cohesive elasticity.” Lucid Culture described Tarbaby as, “Intense, enigmatic, often very funny… Darkly melodic, fearlessly spontaneous and bristling with combustible energy.”

2024 will see two bold new releases from the eclectic power trio. For the first time in a career marked by collaborations, You Think This Is America marks the first time that Tarbaby has recorded an entire album strictly in piano trio format. Recorded live at New York’s Hunter College for photographer/engineer Jimmy Katz’s Giant Step Arts imprint, the confrontational date mixes originals with wide-ranging covers by Ornette Coleman, David Murray, Andrew Hill, Sunny Murray, and The Stylistics.

A yet-to-be-titled studio release will follow later in the year with a number of special guests: Philadelphia spoken word artist Ursula Rucker, the powerhouse tenor saxophonist JD Allen, the exploratory, tightrope-walking saxophonist Bill McHenry, and the pseudonymous “Prometheus Jenkins” (a few notes will suffice to identify the sax master behind the alias).

“The story has its roots in Africa and then traveled across the ocean – just like we did.” – Nasheet Waits, drums

“I don’t want to hug the tar baby.” – Tony Snow, White House Press Secretary 2006-07

Nearly two decades later, the controversy that greeted the late Tony Snow’s use of the term “tar baby” remains indicative of the uncomfortable discourse around race in the country – a point that, ironically, is well illustrated by the very metaphor that he unwisely chose. Co-opted as a racial slur, the term “tar baby” has its roots in a folk tale that depicts the wily Br’er Rabbit becoming increasingly mired in a tar dummy the more he struggles with it – a vivid depiction of the sticky discussions involving race in 21st century America.

Tarbaby fully intended every one of those associations to arise, in all of their uneasiness, combativeness and contradictions, when they decided to adopt the name for their collective trio. “We knew the name would be controversial and misconstrued, but that it would ultimately encourage some discourse. That intent took precedence over any notions of ‘commercial’ success,” says Revis.

The scare quotes that Revis places around the word “commercial” reflects the fact that such value judgments can be elusive, but it’s undeniable that all three bandmates have achieved considerable recognition and acclaim.

Evans has released more than 25 albums without the support of a major label, becoming the model of a fiercely independent artist while making a habit of rattling the jazz world’s confining cages. That determination has paid off in such accolades as a pair of Grammy nominations for his raucous Captain Black Big Band. His ever-expanding “Village” of collaborators has recently included the likes of Nicholas Payton, Kevin Eubanks, Immanuel Wilkins and Kurt Rosenwinkel, among others.

In addition to manning the bass chair in Branford Marsalis’ revered quartet since 1997 (scoring a Grammy in the process), Revis has also recorded eight brilliant and wildly diverse albums as a leader, teaming him with visionary artists like Jason Moran, Ken Vandermark, Kris Davis and Andrew Cyrille, and appeared on the soundtracks to the Netflix features Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and Rustin.

Waits, whose mentors include such pioneers as Max Roach and his esteemed father, percussionist Freddie Waits, has propelled such era-defining ensembles as Jason Moran’s Bandwagon, Andrew Hill’s bands and the Fred Hersch Trio. More recently he’s been an integral part of bands led by two renowned bassists: Christian McBride’s adventurous New Jawn and Dave Holland’s New Quartet with Kris Davis and Jaleel Shaw.

Tarbaby’s self-titled 2008 debut on Imani was recorded as a quintet with saxophonists JD Allen and Stacy Dillard and vocalist TC III. Their 2010 follow-up, The End of Fear (Posi-Tone), invited trumpeter Nicholas Payton and iconic saxophonist Oliver Lake into the fold. The latter has remained a frequent collaborator, returning alongside trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire for 2013’s Ballad of Sam Langford (Hipnotic), for Fanon (Rogue Art) in 2014 with guitarist Marc Ducret, and for 2022’s Dance of the Evil Toys (Clean Feed) with trumpeter Josh Lawrence.

On stage, creative partners have also included poet Sonia Sanchez and saxophone legend David Murray, while inspiration has come from sources as far flung as Don Cherry, Fats Waller and Bad Brains.

“We’re just three cats that believe there are certain truths to this music that should be held sacred.” – Orrin Evans, piano

Tarbaby didn’t set out to become a band. It arose from a conversation, one that in many ways had been going on for decades and continues to this day. That dialogue centers on the respect, or lack thereof, with which “jazz” (in these discussions, that word is often voiced tenuously if at all) is regarded by those who claim to uphold its traditions. The music’s origins are a key factor, especially as they are so intimately tied to uncomfortable facts that many, even those who reap its benefits, would prefer to ignore.

“There are aspects of American history that are intertwined with the music that we play that most people don’t want to touch,” Waits asserts. “That’s the function the Tar Baby plays in that story: initially Br’er Rabbit doesn’t want to touch the Tar Baby, and when he finally does he can’t shake it off.”

This concert is funded in part by the City of Houston Through Houston Arts Alliance.

Admission - Pay What You Can

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

August 17, 2024: Tutu Jones, The Goat, Dallas

Shelley Carrol, Kitchen Cafe, Dallas

Youngjoo Song Quartet with John Ellis, Lowdown, Tulsa

August 25, 2024: Vid. Rajeswari Pariti (Veena), Lewisville Grand Theater

Dr. L. Subramaniam, Windmills, The Colony

August 26, 2024: Eric Gales, Antone's, Austin

Benny Green (solo), JazzTX, San Antonio

August 27, 2024: Eric Gales, Heights Theater, Houston

Benny Green (solo), Parker Jazz Club, Austin

August 28, 2024: Eric Gales, Kessler Theater, Dallas

August 31, 2024: Bnois King Band, Larry Lampkin, Blues on Main, Ennis

September 1, 2024: Cassandra Wilson, Stanley Jordan, Riverfront Jazz Festival, Dallas Convention Center

September 6, 2024: Brian Blade and the Fellowship Band, Lowdown, Tulsa

September 7, 2024: Nolatet with Johnny Vidakovich, Lowdown, Tulsa

September 9, 2024: John Hebert, Jazz at the Joint, Little Rock

September 25, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, Draylen Mason Music Studios, Austin

September 26, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, Deluxe Theater, Houston

October 3, 2024: Etran de L'Air, White Oak Music Hall, Houston

Corey Harris and Cedric Watson, Lowdown, Tulsa

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

Etran de L'Air, Ruins, Dallas

Etran de L'Air, Far Out Longe, Austin

Etran De L'Air, The Pony, Marfa

October 11-13, 2024: Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, Nikki Hill, Chris Thomas King, Kenny Neal, Little Freddie King, Crescent City Blues Festival, New Orleans

October 16, 2024: Buena Vista Social Orchestra, Charles McCombs Empire Theater, San Antonio

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flute), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Allen (?)

November 5, 2024: Andy Summers, Moody Performance Hall, Dallas

June 6, 2025: Jackie Venson, Jo Long Theater, San Antonio

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Vid. Kanyakumari Avasarala, Austin

September 26, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, MATCH, Houston

Selwyn Birchwood, Antone's, Austin

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

October 12, 2024: Branford Marsalis, The Mansion, Austin

Shelley Carrol Trio, Bathhouse Cultural Center, Dallas

October 11-13, 2024: Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, Nikki Hill, Leyla McCalla, Chris Thomas King, Kenny Neal, Little Freddie King, Crescent City Blues Festival, New Orleans

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flute), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Kathak Rhythms, Plano

Lurrie Bell, Big Bill Morganfield, Antone's, Austin

October 27, 2024: Boogarins, Lonesome Rose, San Antonio

October 28, 2024: Boogarins, Rubber Gloves, Denton

October 29,2024: Boorarins, Last Concert Cafe, Houston

October 30, 2024: Boorarins, Slow and Steady, Dallas

October 31, 2024: Boogarins, Mdou Moctar, Stubbs Indoors, Austin

February 15, 2025: Christian Scott/Chief Adjuah, Carver Center, San Antonio

April 25, 2025: Branford Marsalis, Carver Center, San Antonio

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

Nameless Sound presents two concerts

from the cutting-edge of New Jazz

Mayan Space Station

September 21, 2024

William Parker’s Mayan Space Station

Presented in partnership with The DeLuxe Theater 

William Parker - double bass

Gerald Cleaver - drums

Ava Mendoza - guitar

Doors open at 7:30. Music at 8pm.

Free of charge.

at The DeLuxe Theater 

Tarbaby

September 26, 2024

Tarbaby

Orrin Evans - piano

Eric Revis - double bass

Nasheet Waits - drums

8pm 

at MATCH 

The Creative Concert Series is funded in part by the City of Houston Through The Houston Arts Alliance & The Cullen Trust for the Performing Arts

Tarbaby

September 26, 2024

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

September 26, 2024: Orrin Evans with Tarbaby, MATCH, Houston

Selwyn Birchwood, Antone's, Austin

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

October 12, 2024: Branford Marsalis, The Mansion, Austin

Shelley Carrol Trio, Bathhouse Cultural Center, Dallas

October 11-13, 2024: Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, Nikki Hill, Leyla McCalla, Chris Thomas King, Kenny Neal, Little Freddie King, Crescent City Blues Festival, New Orleans

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flute), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Kathak Rhythms, Plano

Lurrie Bell, Big Bill Morganfield, Antone's, Austin

October 27, 2024: Boogarins, Lonesome Rose, San Antonio

October 28, 2024: Boogarins, Rubber Gloves, Denton

October 29,2024: Boorarins, Last Concert Cafe, Houston

October 30, 2024: Boorarins, Slow and Steady, Dallas

October 31, 2024: Boogarins, Mdou Moctar, Stubbs Indoors, Austin

February 15, 2025: Christian Scott/Chief Adjuah, Carver Center, San Antonio

April 25, 2025: Branford Marsalis, Carver Center, San Antonio