Forgive me if this has been discussed before ...

We have all been enjoying lengthy discussions of the wonderful reissue series coming out of France on Universal, Vogue and other labels, and now here is a new book. Have any of our French members read this volume .. will it worth getting (it is not very expensive)?

Paris Jazz

by Luke Miner

Paris Jazz

Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.

List Price: $19.95

Price: $13.97 & Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details

You Save: $5.98 (30%)

Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives from Amazon.com. Sold by Amazon.com.

Edition: Paperback

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Paris Jazz guides readers from the golden era of the Jazz Age to the doorsteps of venues that carry on the city’s vibrant jazz tradition today. From the seedy glamour of bohemian life among painters, writers, and jazz musicians in Montmartre to the sensational debut of Josephine Baker in "La Revue Negre" to the explosive innovations in bebop that occurred in subterranean clubs at night and were discussed heatedly in crowded cafes by day, the story of jazz in Paris is as dynamic as the music itself.

The book is divided into four neighborhoods—Montmartre, Montparnasse, Saint-Germain-des-Pres, and the area around the Champs-Elysees—and directs readers to the cafes, caveau, and belle epoque theaters that were once home to extraordinary debuts, legendary collaborations, and high drama. Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Mistinguett, Adelaide Hall, Bud Powell, Darius Milhaud, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Carter, Lester Young, and Sidney Bechet, are only a few of the musicians whose lives in Paris are profiled here.

Paris Jazz features:

• Evocative duotone photographs of jazz legends and famous clubs in Paris through the decades • Four easy-to-use maps • Quotes and anecdotes from the musicians themselves • A comprehensive listing of contemporary jazz clubs • A selected listening section

Product Detail

* Paperback: 174 pages

* Publisher: The Little Bookroom (October 10, 2005)

* ISBN: 1892145294

Edited by garthsj

Forgive me if this has been discussed before ...

We have all been enjoying lengthy discussions of the wonderful reissue series coming out of France on Universal, Vogue and other labels, and now here is a new book. Have any of our French members read this volume .. will it worth getting (it is not very expensive)?

Paris Jazz

by Luke Miner

Paris Jazz

Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.

List Price: $19.95

Price: $13.97 & Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details

You Save: $5.98 (30%)

Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives from Amazon.com. Sold by Amazon.com.

Edition: Paperback

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Paris Jazz guides readers from the golden era of the Jazz Age to the doorsteps of venues that carry on the city’s vibrant jazz tradition today. From the seedy glamour of bohemian life among painters, writers, and jazz musicians in Montmartre to the sensational debut of Josephine Baker in "La Revue Negre" to the explosive innovations in bebop that occurred in subterranean clubs at night and were discussed heatedly in crowded cafes by day, the story of jazz in Paris is as dynamic as the music itself.

The book is divided into four neighborhoods—Montmartre, Montparnasse, Saint-Germain-des-Pres, and the area around the Champs-Elysees—and directs readers to the cafes, caveau, and belle epoque theaters that were once home to extraordinary debuts, legendary collaborations, and high drama. Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Mistinguett, Adelaide Hall, Bud Powell, Darius Milhaud, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Carter, Lester Young, and Sidney Bechet, are only a few of the musicians whose lives in Paris are profiled here.

Paris Jazz features:

• Evocative duotone photographs of jazz legends and famous clubs in Paris through the decades • Four easy-to-use maps • Quotes and anecdotes from the musicians themselves • A comprehensive listing of contemporary jazz clubs • A selected listening section

Product Detail

* Paperback: 174 pages

* Publisher: The Little Bookroom (October 10, 2005)

* ISBN: 1892145294

...looks like fun!

• 1 year later...

Me too.

I'll be over in France next Saturday and have scheduled a stop at a few major bookstores so I'd like to know if it is still in print and readily available and if it's worth the money for those who do not (!) have everything else yet.

Or to put it another way, what other books (beyond 'New Orleans Sur Seine' and 'Boris Vian, Jazz A St. German', Ed. du Layeur - not the other, apparently similarly titled one) on (preferably) the history of the Parisian (or French) jazz scene, i.e. on the golden age of jazz in France, would be worth checking out, provided they are still available at all?

Thanks beforehand for any suggestions!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Will check this one when I run into a copy.

Unless it is very thoroughly documented, not sure I really need another book on the subject.

What do you have already, and which is the best?

This one

2213603642.08._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

is well documented. But it is only available in French!

The cover (by Chenz) shows Jackie McLean at the Chat Qui Peche in 1961 with Jean-François Jenny Clark on bass and Aldo Romano on drums.

Big Beat Steve already mentioned this one. It is a good read!

Edited by brownie

May I add a word about New Orleasn sur Seine...

I agree that it is a very interesting book to read, but a word of caution to those who are looking primarily for a rundown of musicians, e.g. in the style of Ted Gioia's or Robert Gordon's "Jazz West Coast" books. The accent is surprisingly little on the French jazz musicians and their musical output. The big names (including foreign stars on tour in France) and their exploits do get mentioned but beyond that the emphasis is rather on the position of jazz in the cultural surroundings in France, the French media, the organization of the jazz scene, concert and festival promoters, jazz as seen by the public at large, the French jazz federations (including a fairly detailed account of the schism of the Hot Clubs and the endless Panassie-Delaunay feud which makes for hilarious reading today but clearly was anything but funny back then), etc.

So you get to know a lot about the French jazz "scene" but if you want to check fast for a capsule of the accomplishemnts of French jazzmen such as Noel Chiboust, Robert Mavounzy, Jean-Claude Fohrenbach or other names no longer well-known today you will have to wait for another book.

Or, Brownie, is there a book that treats this subject more like the abovementioned West Coast books or, in fact, the way Alain Tercinet treats his subject in "West Coast Jazz"?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Big Beat Steve, agree with you about that 'New Orleans sur Seine' but as far as I know it is still the most readable of the French jazz scene account. Since I was a witness to a number of the episodes described I took a somehow perverse interest in reading it.

Can't think of a better book on the subject so far!

Big Beat Steve, agree with you about that 'New Orleans sur Seine' but as far as I know it is still the most readable of the French jazz scene account. Since I was a witness to a number of the episodes described I took a somehow perverse interest in reading it.

Can't think of a better book on the subject so far!

Thanks, both. That sounds like my kind of thing.

BTW I have Vian's 'Heartsnatcher' here ready to begin once a couple of others are out of the way (in English). Opinions on that, if it doesn't replicate the Vian thread from a while ago?.

I had a chance to leaf through the "Paris Jazz" book yesterday. It is mostly a series of chapters on various jazz clubs in Paris, and also a few historic addresses related to jazz in the city. Not really focused on the history of jazz at all. It is an attractive little book and if I had the good fortune to be travelling to Paris anytime soon I would have bought it.

I had a chance to leaf through the "Paris Jazz" book yesterday. It is mostly a series of chapters on various jazz clubs in Paris, and also a few historic addresses related to jazz in the city. Not really focused on the history of jazz at all. It is an attractive little book and if I had the good fortune to be travelling to Paris anytime soon I would have bought it.

Thanks for the info, Pete B.

Looks like I don't need to search for that one...

BTW I have Vian's 'Heartsnatcher' here ready to begin once a couple of others are out of the way (in English). Opinions on that, if it doesn't replicate the Vian thread from a while ago?.

'L'Arrache-Coeur' as it is titled in France is a surprising work of fiction. Imaginative, intriguing, disturbing. No idea how well it was translated into english. One of Vian's most absorbing book!

Will check this one when I run into a copy.

Unless it is very thoroughly documented, not sure I really need another book on the subject.

What do you have already, and which is the best?

This one

2213603642.08._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

is well documented. But it is only available in French!

The cover (by Chenz) shows Jackie McLean at the Chat Qui Peche in 1961 with Jean-François Jenny Clark on bass and Aldo Romano on drums.

Big Beat Steve already mentioned this one. It is a good read!

I wish it was in English, or more correctly, that I read French!

Not only is Jackie hot, but that's a sweet rhythm section. They must have been so young then!

Le Chat Qui Peche is where so much happened - it would've been a great time to be in Paris!

Le Chat Qui Peche is where so much happened - it would've been a great time to be in Paris!

Le Chat Qui Peche is still at the same location and is still called by its original name. No jazz now. It is a restaurant specializing in French Alps specialities.

To the best of my knowledge, it's a place to be avoided!

I walk past the Chat almost every other day. It only survives in the wonderful memories of numerous special jazz evenings in the cellar downstairs!