Grant Green compilations

Alfred

Got all 3.

I'm a big fan of Green from this period. This stuff has grown on me as I've more or less accepted the music for what it is, rather than what it is not. What it is, to me, is fun, funky, grooving music. I dig it and am not ashamed to admit it :P

As an aside, I saw John Scofield's jam band 3 or 4 years ago at the Toronto Jazz Festival. It was a great show and if the hundreds of younger fans dancing was any indicator, it was certainly fun and entertaining. Several times throughout the performance I mentioned to the person formerly known as my wife, who was with me, that there was so much similarity between the grooves being laid down by Scofield at al and the Grant Green material of the late 60s and early 70s that I sstarted to understand why Green got so much respect from the acid jazzers and jam band crowd. It's interesting to me that they have subtitled these releases as "Original Jam Master" vol 1,2,3.

The covers kick ass by the way.

I've got a Night Lights program scheduled for late June based around these comps... for any who are curious to hear. Our station has yet to receive our copies, so I haven't heard them myself... but have several of the CDs from which they're drawn. It's a period that's grown on me quite a bit in the past couple of years. (Hands down, though, my favorite GG is still the 2-CD with Sonny Clark.)

I've email Cuscuna several times about issuing Grant Green's "Live At Club Mozambique."  I've actually heard some of it and it's awesome, recording quality is Aplus as well from what I heard.

Can't understand why we can't get this motha' out.

BN must have some interest in later-period Green, as they re-issued the re-issue of Alive with those bonus cuts.

Come on BN, give it up! :bwallace:

• 2 weeks later...

:tup:tup:tup

These CDs are very much recommended !

Picked up the 'Aint it Funky' and 'Mellow' compilations from my local outlet at mid-price (they didn't have the third for some reason). Full of gems from Grant's second BN period. A different player entirely from the one of 5-10 years earlier but in this R&B groove he was entirely convincing, IMO. The tune selections are good - 'Fancy Free' and 'Maiden Voyage' on the 'Mellow' set are very fine performances. Theres also a fantastic and very greazy version of 'Dracula' with Blue Mitchell featured, on the 'Aint it Funky' compilation. Interesting (but brief-ish) sleeve notes from Bob Porter round off the package and the nice art work is from Patrick Roques.

I have these installed at the moment in the car CD changer and they are just perfect for that !

Interesting the mention of Scofield's jam stuff being similar to Grant's music of this vintage. One of the tracks on 'Groove Elation' is an absolute dead ringer for the first track off of 'Alive' so Sco has been doing his homework. :)

No problem ! I have 'Visions' on a Liberty LP and this is a good excuse to dust it off and give it a re-spin. As I recall, this one was very much tailored for FM airplay but there's some nice playing by Grant on it. Must be due for domestic reissue sometime soon I would think.

He may have got more commercial in the final years but the music was always full of soul.

Which albums/cds are covered under the 3-set compilation? 

I'm wondering whether I should go for these, but it depends on what duplication occurs here.  Was this stuff remastered with these reissues?

Thanks.

I don't have the CD cases to hand but off the top of my head, tracks from the following are definitely included:

'Visions'

'Live at the Lighthouse'

'Alive'

'Green Is Beautiful'

'Carryin' On'

and possibly also 'The Final Comedown'

Which albums/cds are covered under the 3-set compilation? 

I'm wondering whether I should go for these, but it depends on what duplication occurs here.  Was this stuff remastered with these reissues?

Thanks.

I don't have the CD cases to hand but off the top of my head, tracks from the following are definitely included:

'Visions'

'Live at the Lighthouse'

'Alive'

'Green Is Beautiful'

'Carryin' On'

and possibly also 'The Final Comedown'

Hmm, I've never found any of those cds particularly satisfying (with the exception of "Carryin' On." Still, I'm tempted...

And there's the title track from "The Final Comedown" - not available as a domestic release, but it's a reasonably priced import. ("Visions" and "Shades of Green" are the other 2 that are hard to get, although they are the weakest albums of Green's second period and the world won't end if you don't get them.)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...