Favorite Artists

Jazz Kat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What, now I dont have the right to love Hank Mobley?

No, no. I'm just an old man doin' the old man thing: "Kids these days..."

Seriously, just remarking about how Hank has grown in stature. He was once a forgotten/underrated player. Now, belatedly, he's getting some measure of his 'due'. Much of this seems to be the result of an active reissue program at Blue Note/Mosaic. As far as I'm concerned, right on.

You don't have to have the listening experience but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about Pres or Hawk.

I'm not going to get into the top 5 thing but how about some guy named Lockjaw or Junior Cook?

Edited by Brad

Why do you think Aric got banned from this board?

In the interests of good fun, here's a list of the 5 tenor saxophonists I like the most these days

1. Wayne Shorter

2. John Coltrane

3. Dewey Redman

4. Charles Lloyd

5. Sonny Rollins

No, no. I'm just an old man doin' the old man thing: "Kids these days..."

Seriously, just remarking about how Hank has grown in stature. He was once a forgotten/underrated player. Now, belatedly, he's getting some measure of his 'due'. Much of this seems to be the result of an active reissue program at Blue Note/Mosaic. As far as I'm concerned, right on.

That's very true. My jazz education has come from mainly the past 10 years, so whenever I used to read that Mobley was underrated, I kind of was puzzled. Because every jazz fan I know, loves and respects him. I then learned what a tough time he had.

Dexter Gordon

John Coltrane

Johnny Griffin & Eddie Davis (I'm cheating, but I do love to listen to their joint recordings)

Benny Golson

Hank Mobley

Sonny Rollins, James Moody, Stanley Turrentine, Clifford Jordan and Oliver Nelson are so close behind... I had to list them anyway (I always cheat on these things).

Here's my pick.

1. Sonny Rollins

2. Joe Henderson

3. Hank Mobley

4. Dexter Gordon

5. Johnny Griffen

So, at age 16 or 18 or whatever - why be so arrogant to post a thread like this? You need to develope some respect for your audience.

I started listening seriously to this music around 30 years before you were born. Why waste our time?

Take some time and grow the fuck up.

Here's my pick.

1. Sonny Rollins

2. Joe Henderson

3. Hank Mobley

4. Dexter Gordon

5. Johnny Griffen

So, at age 16 or 18 or whatever - why be so arrogant to post a thread like this? You need to develope some respect for your audience.

I started listening seriously to this music around 30 years before you were born. Why waste our time?

Take some time and grow the fuck up.

Chuck,

Go easy on the kid. I think he just meant to have a fun thread where we post our favorites, not any sort of serious/arrogant assessment of "the greatest of all time".

Guy