Musicians With Largest Recording

• 6 months later...

Jonah Jones.

A bold pick. A good pick.

Jonah Jones was a fine trumpet player with a solid pedigree as a veteran of great swing bands led by Stuff Smith and Cab Calloway, to name two. In the late 1950's he had a hit album entitled "Muted Jazz" that took off, and he milked the formula for years to come, and sold a whole lot of records. Although he made a string of forgettable formulaic records, I don't think he fits the spirit of this thread. At the end of his career, when the gravy train had finally stopped, he made a solid mainstream album for Chiaroscuro that showed that he still had the goods.

My 2 cents :cool:

Penque's niche was that of the all-purpose woodwind doubler (he even played oboe/english horn), not jazz soloist. Need a guy to play 3-4, maybe even 5 axes on a session date, somebody who could play the parts with the necessary interpretation(s)? He was your guy, or one of them. Seems like every album I have him on, he's doubling (or more!). Saved the contractors the expense of hiring an extra guy (or two), and put money in his pocket as well from all the doubling fees he collected. Win/win!

Judging by all the sessions he did, I suspect that he was one helluva reader as well as a fine section player - then as now, time is money in the studio, and if he didn't have the skills to get it right ASAP, he'd not have gotten the calls. That's a talent unto itself!

Penque's niche was that of the all-purpose woodwind doubler (he even played oboe/english horn), not jazz soloist. Need a guy to play 3-4, maybe even 5 axes on a session date, somebody who could play the parts with the necessary interpretation(s)? He was your guy, or one of them. Seems like every album I have him on, he's doubling (or more!). Saved the contractors the expense of hiring an extra guy (or two), and put money in his pocket as well from all the doubling fees he collected. Win/win!

Judging by all the sessions he did, I suspect that he was one helluva reader as well as a fine section player - then as now, time is money in the studio, and if he didn't have the skills to get it right ASAP, he'd not have gotten the calls. That's a talent unto itself!

Different folks have different goals. Love 'em all and rip those you don't personally care for. :D