Look at all the Verve LPRs coming out this month!

Big Al

I've heard bits of the Krupa over the years. Good writing, naturally, but the band is not as wholly bebop-oriented in flayvah as you maight hope for. Still, it's some good early Mulligan scores, and that alone is a reason to check it out in my book.

I've heard bits of the Krupa over the years. Good writing, naturally, but the band is not as wholly bebop-oriented in flayvah as you maight hope for. Still, it's some good early Mulligan scores, and that alone is a reason to check it out in my book.

I want to second what Jim says. I have owned this LP in the past, and it is a very "pleasant" album .. not earth-shattering, but fine Mulligan arrangements, with that distinctive style of voicings that he did. (This is not your grandfather's Gene Krupa here!) I can only compare it favorably to some of the things Mulligan did for Claude Thornhill. Again, given the price of the album, it is a "best buy"!

Edited by garthsj

At this point, the "Verve" reissue series might be about the most interesting around - lots of unexpected titles this past year.

I have to agree with this statement as well .... if you look through the Norgran, Clef and Verve discographies, as well as the other labels now under the Universal banner, such as Argo (Clarence Shaw!!!) there is an enormous amount of "PRIME" stuff that remains to be reissued. Now that one of my earlier wishes that "Sweets" be reissued has been granted, how about the rest of the DeFranco albums (Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman tributes; with the O.P. Quartet, and the "Broadway Showcase" album with Russ Garcia), and especially Herb Ellis's "Ellis in Wonderland"? ... Go Ahead! Make me a happy man Universal....

If the Cohn-Brookmeyer is the one that was initially on Coral, that's an excellent record with the horns in great form, thanks in large part I think to the presence of a more aggressive, boppish rhythm section than than was the norm for them at the time -- Mose Allison, Teddy Kotick (fine Pettiford-like time and lines), and Nick Stabulus (who's more or less doing a Blakey imitation).

So...I guess this means I'm the only one in the bunch with Cugat LPs under his roof... :unsure:

Yep! :P

Actually, I have to admit to liking much of what I have heard of his music..(and having at least one cd).stuff from the 30's,(My Shawl, etc) even music in the many 40's films he starred in! :unsure:

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 weeks later...