Another Idol season

jazzbo

Undoubtedly, Melinda is the most consistent and professional quality singer among the remaining group. I like her, but her personality and I only say it because it counts so heavily in "the business"-her looks are somewhat going to work against her. Jordin has the over-all idol package. Like jazzbo said, she has great charisma. When I see her she just seems to shine and it comes off as very genuine. I'm pulling for her and Melinda to face off in the final two.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undoubtedly, Melinda is the most consistent and professional quality singer among the remaining group. I like her, but her personality and I only say it because it counts so heavily in "the business"-her looks are somewhat going to work against her. Jordin has the over-all idol package. Like jazzbo said, she has great charisma. When I see her she just seems to shine and it comes off as very genuine. I'm pulling for her and Melinda to face off in the final two.

I used to think the same thing, but after seeing past AI winners like Taylor Hicks, Fantasia and Reuben, it seems America may not be caught up in looks as much as we think. I will say Melinda's hair, makeup and wardrobe have really been top notch throughout. Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight were no beauty queens and I think Melinda might be a true legend in decades to come.

I used to think the same thing, but after seeing past AI winners like Taylor Hicks, Fantasia and Reuben, it seems America may not be caught up in looks as much as we think. I will say Melinda's hair, makeup and wardrobe have really been top notch throughout. Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight were no beauty queens and I think Melinda might be a true legend in decades to come.

She's no beauty queen but its not like she's hard on the eyes. Nice smile and a genuinely warm, down-to-earth, and nice personality makes her very appealing.

On the other side, I completely fail to "get" Blake in any way, and while he won't win it all, the ghost of Blake will live on next season when every fourth audition will feature a "beat-boxing" loser. I agree he showed guts in how he handled that tune, but to me its still crap.

Personally, I think Melinda's really cute.

I guess my comments about Melinda's personality and looks possibly working against her probably don't account for much because I wasn't really thinking and then I was reminded that the viewers (supposedly) pick the winner and not the judges. I guess what I was getting at was if you were to take music industry producers and execs and placed Melinda and Jordin side by side, I'm guessing that they would think that ultimately, Jordin would probably be more marketable.

I'm not sure I get Blake either. I'm sure he has benefitted quite a bit from the lack of real stand-out finalists this season. He strikes me as a "flavor of the month" type performer.

I still fail to understand Taylor Hicks' win last year. I heard his debut CD hasn't exactly been selling gang-busters. Have the sales of Katherine McPhee's and Eliot Yamin's releases surpassed Hicks'? I know Chris Daughtry's certainly has.

Edited by mikelz777

My guesses for elimination tonight are Chris and Lakisha though I'd like to see creepy Phil go.

Well, you got your wish, and 1/2 of your prediction.

Personally, I think this was the most reasonable eliminations possible. Neither of these two strike me as having a future career in the biz, while the remainder are definitely the best four. I favor Melinda with Jordin a dark horse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well put me down as sickened by tonight's results. Melinda is the best singer they've ever had and for a few million horny pre-teens to put that doofus Blake into the finals is a horrifying miscarriage of justice. Jordin deserves to be there and I'll hope like hell she wipes the floor with that no talent dork.

I was very disappointed as well. . . . UGH. Blake is okay but really not deserving but Melinda and Jordin split a lot of votes giving him the chance to have the #2 spot, . . .Melinda? It's not fair but this show rarely is. She should be there next week right on stage, then we'd see a workout!

Got to keep rooting for Jordin. . . no conflict now, I can be solidly behind Jordin.

Edited by jazzbo

I was pretty surprised at the results and talent-wise, Melinda certainly didn't deserve to go. I still don't "get" Blake. I think he's more entertaining than he is vocally talented unless you like the beat box thing. (which grows old REALLY, REALLY quickly) I don't know that he'd translate well to recordings or radio where you would not be able to watch him. I'll be pulling for Jordin!

Eliot Yamin sure looks different. I still like him and would likely listen to him over Hicks and Mcfee, last year's top two, although I don't listen to any of them. Does anyone know how the sales of their CDs compare at this point? I don't think Hicks will ever become the idol that the show would like to produce like Underwood and Clarkson have become. It would be interesting to see the CD sales numbers of all the winners and near winners to compare them. I'm guessing Hicks would be behind many of the near winners. (except maybe Justin Guarini)

Edited by mikelz777

I had a sinking feeling that Melinda might go as I was watching the show last night. As they showed each Idol's "return home" segment, I noticed something that made me think Melinda might not have the support the other 2 have. Did you notice the 'homecoming' for Melinda was VERY subdued and had visibly smaller and less enthusiastic crowds than either Blake or Jordan? I thought then and there she was probably going home.

And to be honest, even though I thought she was the best vocalist by far...she never came through with much originality for me. Maybe there was a reason she was always a backup singer. Especially down the homestretch, she never had a night that just blew everyone's mind. Just always consistent great singing. A pro for sure...but maybe not someone who's going to connect with people the way that (like them or not) Jordan and Blake seem to do. I did lose a 5 dollar bet with my sister....I bet on Melinda to win.

My prediction: a Jordin-Blake final, with Jordin for the win.

Well I wasn't surprised by this at all. :g

No argument from me about Melinda's chops - she may be the best pure singer that's ever been on Idol, but there's a lot more to a singing career (and getting votes) than just one's voice - as anyone who's seen (heard!) some of the pro celebrity guest singers on the show can atest.

but there's a lot more to a singing career (and getting votes) than just one's voice - as anyone who's seen (heard!) some of the pro celebrity guest singers on the show can atest.

Such as being male (and the last one left) in a competition with an audience that skews young and female.

but there's a lot more to a singing career (and getting votes) than just one's voice - as anyone who's seen (heard!) some of the pro celebrity guest singers on the show can atest.

Such as being male (and the last one left) in a competition with an audience that skews young and female.

You got it.

I'm just relieved that we won't be assaulted with more "beat boxing" in the near future. He bites the big one but unfortunately his run of success will surely lead to more of that crap in the next group of auditions. :bad:

Jordin, on the other hand, has a terrific voice and a bright bubbly personality. We'll see if she is "the greatest female recording artist of all time" as Barry Gibb predicted (I kinda doubt it myself).

Now that tonight's show has showcased all the past Idol winners, it's clear to me that Carrie Underwood by far was/is the most talented.

That's so funny. I saw her feature song and was utterly, utterly bored by it. I couldn't wait for her to stop singing. But I hate country in all its manifestations. I thought Taylor's performance was far more interesting, even though I was not a big fan of his on last season.

I'm just relieved that we won't be assaulted with more "beat boxing" in the near future. He bites the big one but unfortunately his run of success will surely lead to more of that crap in the next group of auditions. :bad:

Jordin, on the other hand, has a terrific voice and a bright bubbly personality. We'll see if she is "the greatest female recording artist of all time" as Barry Gibb predicted (I kinda doubt it myself).

He is, after all, arguably the greatest Australian recording artist of all time, for whatever that's worth...

Now that tonight's show has showcased all the past Idol winners, it's clear to me that Carrie Underwood by far was/is the most talented.

That's so funny. I saw her feature song and was utterly, utterly bored by it. I couldn't wait for her to stop singing. But I hate country in all its manifestations. I thought Taylor's performance was far more interesting, even though I was not a big fan of his on last season.

I find her utterly boring too. She HAS improved singing wise since her Idol run, I thought she was pretty dire as a singer there and couldn't understand her winning. I don't automatically hate all country, but I just can't get into Carrie Underwood.

I missed Taylor's performance; I was called away to the phone. I like him; when we saw the Idols on Tour last summer he was sensational.

So glad Jordin won! I agree the finale was dull and limpid. But I enjoy the result!

Edited by jazzbo