Air Show

I took my kids to the annual Air Show here at the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi. We had alot of fun wandering around, looking at all of the various current and historical military aircraft. One vintage plane was 62 yrs old, and I got to hear from my daughter, "Daddy, that plane's even older than YOU are!!" :huh::(:D

We got to see stunt biplanes, jet demonstrations, and helcopter flyovers. One of the biplane skits included a lady climbing up atop the upper wing while the plane did it's maneuvers and loop-de-loops.

The finale of the air show itself was the Blue Angels. They used to be home based here at NAS CC(from '51-'55), so they still remain popular locally. They were fantastic, and made me feel like a kid all over again, watching them fly so tightly together at such high speeds.

Gonna try and post a couple of pictures, if I can get them sized small enough for upload.

I've seen The Blue Angels at least a half a dozen times. Twice at the Seafair Hydroplane races in Seattle and four times at the Rose Festival Air Show in Hillsboro. Oregon. We live about four blocks from the airport in Hillsboro, and when the Angels are practicing and also during their shows, they fly right over our house...and very low. Low enough that you can actually see the pilot in the cockpit when they bank into a turn. If you have never enjoyed them in person, it is truly spectacular. I've seen them do several different stunts where you practically have to pick yourself up off the ground when they're done. Awesome is a much abused word these days, but not when it comes to these guys. The Angels are coming back here for the 2005 edition of the Festival Air Show. I am looking forward to it.

Aggie, the two engined plane with the aluminum skin in the picture you shared, is a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber. These were the planes that were flown in Jimmy Dolittle's famous 1942 raid on Tokyo, the one launched from the aircraft carrier, Hornet. This must've been the 62 year old plane you were referring to.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

This hits my buttons! Aviation is my 2nd love after music, also. I work airshows regularly with what has just this month become the last flying Lockheed Constellation in the United States (last picture in my signature). Jazz Cat, if you like historical commercial aviation, I'd like you to come join us over at Propliners. Anyone else that likes the old prop driven planes is also welcome!

Edited by Herb

• 2 years later...

up...

Went to our local Air Show today, and had a great time! For the most part they had alot of the same aircraft on static display as last time, but it was a blast crawling around inside of them. The Blue Angels performance was the grand finale, and they got a standing ovation as they landed and taxied back past the crowd.

Gonna try and post a few pictures that I'm putting on imageshack (to see if the resolution works any better) rather than uploading the tiny pictures from my computer...

dsc00976ml.jpg

Edited by Aggie87