Question about Papa Lou's Say It Loud . . .

Aftab

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I think Lou had more success "plugged in" than almost anyone else. Take a listen to some of his ballad performances from these electric dates...it adds another dimension...but it does not in the slightest mask his tone...you can tell it's Lou all the say.

Lou's later dates are unfortunately dismissed by many fans, but to be honest these later groove sessions I think are some of his best work. Lou's recordings are proof that whether he's playing straight bebop...standards & ballads...or kickin' out the funk...it's ALL soul baby...and he is one seriously REAL cat.

As for the thread...Say It Loud is one of my favorites from this era (especially the takes on Summertime & Caravan)...I also rank it up there with the unfortunately overlooked Pretty Things.

He definitely uses the Varitone, it's easy to hear the lower octave if you listen for it. But the key is that it is mixed with his regular sound so as not to be obtrusive. As opposed to some of the Stitt sessions where his attitude seemed to be this is a different instrument, it's electric, get used to it.