LightScribe - anyone here tried it?

Yesterday I installed in my main Mac a double layer DVD drive that features LightScribe. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes neatly labeled CDs and DVDs.

In case you are not familiar with the technology, it allows you to create high resolution label designs and burn them into the disc. You flip the disc over, push the print button, and the drive gives you something like this (photo does not really do justice to the label:

Yesterday I installed in my main Mac a double layer DVD drive that features LightScribe. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes neatly labeled CDs and DVDs.

In case you are not familiar with the technology, it allows you to create high resolution label designs and burn them into the disc. You flip the disc over, push the print button, and the drive gives you something like this (photo does not really do justice to the label:

Is this the DVR 108 Drive?

I've been putting off upgrading until some

compatibility issues are taken care of.

Been a bit wary of something that actually

burns an image into the disc, so I've been

happily staying with the Epson R800.

FDSdisc.jpg

• 1 year later...

a question i've had, can you burn a cdr w/o using the "light scribe cdrs", just using regular cdrs

With a Lightscribe drive, you can write data on regular CD-Rs and DVD-R media, but if you want to label them with the drive you need Lightscribe-cabable discs.

Edited by Claude

Does all of this have any detrimental effects on the discs burned?

Must be quite a strain on the surface.

Any online links where this apspect (longevity) is maybe discussed in more detail?

What Christiern posted above looks really cool, and I might give that kind of drive a shot if I was sure the discs lasted as long (or as short) as any other (better) burnable. My current setup, printing on high quality (Taiyo Yuden) printables is just a drag half the time.

Edited by neveronfriday

newegg.com is the best place to buy computer hardware. They have 12 internal Lightscribe drives available right now.

I actually just installed a Lite-On SHM-165H6S burner last week. Now all I need is some media and I'll give this a try.

BTW, if you order from newegg.com, I'd avoid the OEM stuff if you can. Works fine and is cheaper, but is often unsupported because it was not made to be sold outside of a system. I bought the retail version and it was only $4 more. Worth it just for the software.

Kevin