Symbiosis - Bill Evans

kulu se mama

i know that this title is out of print, but i am curious as to why it is not included in the complete verve box.

it was recorded in 1974 whereas the verve box seems to stop in 1970.

i am assuming that while this cd was reissued by verve, maybe it was originally recorded for another label, and that is why it's not inlcuded.

if anyone could shed some light - it would be much appreciated.

Edited by kulu se mama

'Symbiosis' was produced by Helen Keane, recorded at Columbia Recording Studios in New York in February 1974. The album was released by MPS, the German label.

Verve probably had a one-shot arrangement to release the album in the USA.

Trust the session still belongs to MPS.

How's the late album with George Russell's Living Time Orchestra, for that matter?

I've heard it once, and I thought it was pretty bad actually. And I do usually like Bill Evans. On that album he's buried in busy arrangements, through which his Fender Rhodes (of course) can sometimes barely be heard.

I'll differ on both albums.

LIVING TIME's main problem is poor recording, not bad music. It's really more a Russell album than an Evans one, and is probably best appreciated/evaluated in that way. As such, once/if you're able to hear through the mud, there's actually some very raw and exciting writing and playing going on.

SYMBIOSIS starts very strongly, and then loses steam as it goes along, but it's hardly "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.

Myself, I'd rather hear Evans do something like these albums than yet another trio session.

Myself, I'd rather hear Evans do something like these albums than yet another trio session.

Hm......yeeessssss, but that doesn't necessarily mean the results are worth hearing. (Not that I'm terribly interested in 1970s Bill Evans trios either, mind you.) & I dunno about later Russell for that matter: I can't get too excited about things like The London Concert & The African Game.

Fair enough, but I stand behind my enthusiasm for LIVING TIME, as well as the caveats about the crappy recording. From Russell's end, it's more in line with his late 60s/very early 70s work than it is those later things to which you refer. As for Evans' own contributions, while it would be exaggerating to say that any pianist could've taken his place, it's not one to say that the piano playing is not the major focus of the piece.

In other words, worth the effort to hear through the mud, if the listenere is so inclined to put it forth; has a liking for the basci concept(s) in the first place; and is not expecting a reprise of earlier Evans/Russell triumphs.

Timely topic - Dusty Groove are promising a CD reissue in April:

"Bill Evans -- Symbiosis (On Demand pressing) . . . CD . . . Around April 20, 2005

Fantastic stuff -- and one of our favorite lost sessions from the 70s! A completely unique Bill Evans album, and one that features him playing both electric and acoustic piano over stunning arrangements by Claus Ogerman. The sound is indescribably beautiful, with a range of moments that span a number of styles -- all of them dark and moody. Evans' playing is at that complex late stage, and Ogerman's orchestrations are completely sympathetic, never intrusive, and offer a brilliant showcase for haunting lines of dark, introspective genius from Evans. In a way, we'd compare this one to some of the more baroque CTI sessions -- or to later work in recent generations by artists like Chris Bowden!"

http://www.dustygroove.com/upcoming.htm