Googa Mooga

Soul Stream

I half-heartedly went to the Austin Record Show this weekend for about an hour with a friend. Didn't really dig around that much, but just happened upon an old 45 on the Dawn label by Lou Bennet (the great but very under-recorded organist). Since this was something he recorded in the states before leaving for Europe, I picked it up.

Great record. One one side is the song "Googa Mooga" credited to L. Bennet. It's the same "Googa Mooga" that is on Freddie Roach's "Mo Greens Please" Blue Note LP. Very interesting to hear Lou with a real american rhythm section in his prime.

FWIW, from the Library of Congress web site:

1. Registration Number: RE-531-508

Title: Googa mooga. m aFred Roach.

Claimant: Freddie Roach , Jr. ©

Effective Registration Date: 25Mar91

Original Registration Date: 25Mar63;

Original Registration Number: EU763150.

Original Class: E

First recorded by Roach 12/4/62 (rejected)

Issued version from 3/11/63

Bertrand.

FWIW, from the Library of Congress web site:

1. Registration Number:    RE-531-508 

Title:    Googa mooga. m aFred Roach.

Claimant:    Freddie Roach , Jr. ©

Effective Registration Date:    25Mar91

Original Registration Date:    25Mar63;

Original Registration Number:    EU763150.

Original Class:    E

First recorded by Roach 12/4/62 (rejected)

Issued version from 3/11/63

Bertrand.

Wow.

That's such a common sounding blues head, I wonder if Freddie really wrote it, or if it was one of those things that was floating around at the time and he "adopted" it. Have a hard time believing that Lou Bennet would be covering a FR blues shuffle at that point in his career, but you never know I guess. Still wonder if it was Lou's first.

Oh, and is there a unreleased Freddie Roach Blue Note session I've never heard about?!!!! Thanks Bertrand.

Edited by Soul Stream

Soul Stream,

Here is the info on the rejected Roach session. I got it from jazzdisco.org, which is not too reliable, but on the other hand I don't think they would have made this up. I haven't had a chance to confirm in Cuscuna/Ruppli.

Bertrand.

Freddie Roach Trio

Freddie Roach (org) Kenny Burrell (g) Ronnie Cole (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 4, 1962

Is You or Is You Ain't My Baby BN rejected

Googa Mooga -

Blues in the Front Room -

Edit: Speaking of the general and well-documented jazzdisco.org sloppiness, shouldn't it be 'Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby'? And who is Ronnie Cole?

Edited by bertrand

Thanks everybody for their help. Looks like the bennet beat the roach version my a good 5 years or so. Interesting. Nice recording, and the B side is cool too a minor blues shuffle.

(Lon, I liked the new locale better too. But, like you, I think I have everything I want when it comes to old LPs.)

• 7 months later...

I half-heartedly went to the Austin Record Show this weekend for about an hour with a friend. Didn't really dig around that much, but just happened upon an old 45 on the Dawn label by Lou Bennet (the great but very under-recorded organist). Since this was something he recorded in the states before leaving for Europe, I picked it up.

Great record. One one side is the song "Googa Mooga" credited to L. Bennet. It's the same "Googa Mooga" that is on Freddie Roach's "Mo Greens Please" Blue Note LP. Very interesting to hear Lou with a real american rhythm section in his prime.

I've just found the same disc on eBay !

Steven

freddie roach is one blue note artist that still is not well represented on cd- at least domestically--- can someone please link a sessionography for him, or list what cds are available. i have never heard mo' greens please, and have never see it for sale on cd, tape, or vinyl.

freddie roach is one blue note artist that still is not well represented on cd- at least domestically--- can someone please link a sessionography for him, or list what cds are available. i have never heard mo' greens please, and have never see it for sale on cd, tape, or vinyl.

Here is a list of Freddie's recordings:

IKE QUEBEC - HEAVY SOUL - BN 84093 (26/11/1961) (US BN32090 Jap TOCJ9166 24bit)

IKE QUEBEC - IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING - BN 84105 (9/12/1961) (Jap TOCJ9057 24bit)

WILLIS JACKSON - THUNDERBIRD - PR 7232 (31/3/1962) (US Prestige PRCD24218 - "Keep on a-blowin'")

TWO UNISSUED IKE QUEBEC SESSIONS FOR BN (25/5/1962 & 1/6/1962)

FREDDIE ROACH - DOWN TO EARTH - BN 84113 (23/8/1962) (Jap TOCJ9595 24bit)

FREDDIE ROACH - MO' GREENS PLEASE - BN 84128 (21/1&11/3/1963) (Jap TOCJ6640 24bit to be issued 21 Dec 2005)

FREDDIE ROACH - GOOD MOVE - BN 84158 (29/11 & 9/12/1963) (US BN24551 deleted, Jap TOCJ4158)

FREDDIE ROACH - BROWN SUGAR - BN 84168 (19/3/1964) (duff session from day before) (US Water 148)

FREDDIE ROACH - ALL THAT'S GOOD - BN 84190 (16/10/1964) (Jap TOCJ4190)

DONALD BYRD - I'M TRYIN' TO GET HOME - BN 84188 (17&18/12/1964) (Jap TOCJ4188)

UNISSUED FREDDIE ROACH BN SESSION (16/9/1965)

FREDDIE ROACH - THE SOUL BOOK - PR 7490 (13&28/6/1966) (enough unissued for another LP)

FREDDIE ROACH - MOCHA MOTION - PR 7507 (5/1/1967)

(The above 2 LPs are available in GB on Beat GoesPublic CDBGPD122 - 2 on 1)

FREDDIE ROACH - MY PEOPLE (SOUL PEOPLE) - PR 7521 (22&29/6/1967) (was issued on CD in Japan, but I missed the last copy which was in stock a couple of months ago - damn!)

All the TOCJs (except "Mo greens please") are deleted, BUT you can get them from MUNDO here:

http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/collect/file/f-roach.html

Mundo deal in currently available CDs but also keep copies of interesting deletions. Note: you can't use a credit card; Paypal or some form of cash.

To my mind, there is only one of these albums that isn't essential to a good collection of Soul Jazz; the Donald Byrd. Even though that's also got Grant Green and Stanley Turrentine on it, the arrangements of the brass and voices are much too heavy.

Freddie was SO talented. No other jazz musician wore his heart so evidently on his sleeve in his music. And that heart was located deeply in his culture and people. Freddie is a musician you just have to love. His album titles tell you where he’s coming from all right. And if you don’t get it from the titles, he wrote most of his own sleeve notes, so there’s no excuse.

MG

FREDDIE ROACH - THE SOUL BOOK - PR 7490 (13&28/6/1966)

FREDDIE ROACH - MOCHA MOTION - PR 7507 (5/1/1967)

(The above 2 LPs are available in GB on Beat GoesPublic CDBGPD122 - 2 on 1)

FREDDIE ROACH - MY PEOPLE (SOUL PEOPLE) - PR 7521 (22&29/6/1967)

what is this "GB on beat goes public"-- is that some kind of record label? i am very interested in hearing about what these lps sound like- if someone can share-- are they really funky?-- also very interested in All thats good-- thats the one w/ joe henderson, right?