The Three Sounds

Jazz Kat

i email mosaic about a 3 sounds box set last december and was told they are workin on put one out [ bluenote stuff only] in 3 or 4 small box sets so i'll just hang on to my 12 blue note lps and wait to see :w

So obviously its going to be a series of Mosaic Selects. That's probably best, and it would also mean that the Four Sounds recording I found could be added easily and logically.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like the right place to mention that I got an email from Michael about some suggested organizational schemes for Three Sounds Mosaics (someone here suggested them but I can't recall who) and his reply strongly implied that he is indeed anticipating doing the '58-'62 Three Sounds, in three Selects.

:tup

If memory serves me correctly,there is more unissued Three Sounds material in the vaults than anyone else who was in their stable.

I think their Blue Note vault stuff has made it out there. I'm not sure about the other labels they were on in between their 2 times on Blue Note. Dan should know this better then anyone else.

Michael definitely won't consider the unissued tracks for a Mosaic, at least not as a single Mosaic set.  Said it would be akin to putting out "The Worst of The Three Sounds -  The blue Note Years."

Would he consider adding several of the unissued tracks to the 1958-62 Selects that he's planning?

Edited by alankin

Michael definitely won't consider the unissued tracks for a Mosaic, at least not as a single Mosaic set.  Said it would be akin to putting out "The Worst of The Three Sounds -  The blue Note Years."

Would he consider adding several of the unissued tracks to the 1958-62 Selects that he's planning?

I don't think so, for two reasons.

He spoke of "fitting them" into three Selects, which suggests that he realizes that with all the recordings they did in that period, it might be a snug fit to include all of them.

His statement that he doesn't think the unissued stuff is deserving of release.

Also, other than the Hill Select, haven't the Selects just concentrated on original albums only and not considered alternates or unissued tunes? I think he wants to stick with that approach, and leave alternates/unissued stuff for the full Mosaic boxes.

I understand, but that's the condition the record was in - I've heard many reissues with sound that was equivalent to what you have there - historical considerations might outweigh other things, eventually, and someone should issue these -

I agree, but its not the way Michael sees it, and since Blue Note is where the music belongs and between Mosaic and his other gig he pretty much controls BN reissues, I'm not sure it will have a chance to be heard. That is unless someone comes up with what he suggested was the place for it:

"Curios of the 1950s"

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm really not sure ... one of Michael's other reasons for not wanting to include this in any Three Sounds set was, "questionable ownership".

There is some question about the circumstances of the recording, because Bill Dowdy says that while the band rehearsed at Boddie Recording "all the time" he says that at no time were they aware that they were being recorded, which contradicts what Gene told his wife. So maybe that's what Michael was referring to, that there may be some claim of ownership by the recording studio?