What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EEEW. Dexter. A series about a serial killer. I watched some episodes (broadcast on NBC) but didn't feel compelled to watch more.

Watched "Michael Buble Caught in the Act" on DVD, with my girlfriend (her DVD). Was a lot of fun, all the fun entirely tied to watching it with her. :)

Edited by jazzbo

I watched the beginning of Season 1 of "Dexter" on TV, found it quite good, but because of it's plot they moved it to later and later starting times (and maybe eventually they just wanted to get rid of it... the way to do that seems to be to have a series start later and later, and eventually no one will watch, so they can cut it using lack of interest as a reason - morons! Instead they'll put up more moronic "I want my 15 minutes on TV" shows, but it seems there are so many idiots around that feel superior to the idiots taking part in all these casting shows that the system will work for another while...)

Anyway, end of rant...

We're two thirds done with Season 3 of "Lost" by now, and while it got better and had moments of terrific suspense, alltogether it seems like the low point so far, lack of ideas, whole filler episodes (such as the blonde chick and the Latin guy and their diamonds... cool idea to bury them alive though, I admit). Hope the short-cut Season 4 will pick up some steam! Lots of Season 3 was also paced too slowly for my liking. I found it less interesting than Season 2, even though I had seen probably a third (but not one complete episode) of it a few weeks earlier, when Ms. ubu was watching it... I caught up in a frenzy, watching Seasons 1 & 2 within just two weeks, and that was a hell of a ride, and I just feel Season 3 doesnn't hold up by comparison!

Season 3 of Lost is a bit of a trudge to get through, I had the same initial reaction. However, the "buried alive" episode is actually one of the most memorable ones I think.

Right now in a state of complete confusion I'm re-watching season 1 of Lost, watching season 2 of Damages, season 2 of Primeval (which is going downhill fast) and season 2 of Bones....plus my roomate is watching season 4 of Lost so I've been seeing bits and pieces of that as well.

Saw the first episode of "The Ricky Gervais Show." It's hysterical.

An animated version of 3 guys (Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington) sitting around talking nonsense. For me, it took a little while to get tuned into their accents, but once I got over that ... :tup:lol::tup

Finished season 1 of "Dexter" and really liked it. Nice story arc running through the season, and satisfying finish. And since the penultimate episode was a cliffhanger it really came in handy that I was watching them on DVD. I've got to really hand it to this series, because I'm one of those people who for years has been going around saying that they're sick to death (so to speak) of serial-killer stories in popular culture, but nevertheless it won me over.

EEEW. Dexter. A series about a serial killer. I watched some episodes (broadcast on NBC) but didn't feel compelled to watch more.

Well it's one of those series where you really have to start at the beginning.

I think they did start at the beginning on NBC.

I know there's good stuff there, and quality writing and production and acting, but I'm just not interested in watching series about certain things like mafiosi, serial killers, etc. Creepy, life's too short, slightly glorifying evil, etc. I don't mind skipping these.

I think they did start at the beginning on NBC.

I know there's good stuff there, and quality writing and production and acting, but I'm just not interested in watching series about certain things like mafiosi, serial killers, etc. Creepy, life's too short, slightly glorifying evil, etc. I don't mind skipping these.

It wasn't clear if you'd watched it from episode #1.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch a series about a serial killer. I was pretty much in the exact same boat actually, until, uh...I started watching this series about a serial killer. :blush: Not terribly consistent, I know.

But hey, at least it isn't about rapacious, politically incorrect advertising men from the early 60's!

Exactly. I feel the same way.

I'm sure those shows are "good", but I have no interest in the general subject matter, either.

Edited by BFrank

Done with Season 3 of lost, watched a whopping 7 episodes yesterday :crazy:

It got better and better after around the middle of it, I found, but there still were some slow and boring moments. Now I guess we'll get started with Season 4 tonight - this will be a fast one, to be caught in 3-4 viewings (14 episodes only).

We don't have Season 5 yet, it's still way too expensive over here, as it still is on TV right now!

Well Chuck, it's not *that* bad, "Lost" is only the fourth series we're really watching (including "Californication", which was hilarious and hard to be believe it came from the US, but not including "Twin Peaks", which is way more than just some series...). We watched "Alias", just for the fun of it, and then much of "24" (not yet seen Season 7), and now "Lost". I mostly keep busy revisiting classics of cinema from all over (including the US, latest was Frankenheimer's "Seven Days in May", very good one).

And one more note, Chuck: these series - at least the best of them, they achieve something that US mainstream films have given up several decades ago: they build complex plots with many characters, they even explain the motives of less important characters, they challenge the viewer and demand attention, or you'll get lost soon.

This may be a big point in why they're successful, as most of what Hollywood's been producing for the past two or three decades is aimed at teenaged boys going to the movies on the opening weekend, while they have mostly abandoned doing films that hold up for a slighty more demanding (and mature) crowd. These TV series bring that back again, which is not a bad thing.