What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Via Netflix - Goodbye Solo - a very fine film with two wonderful actors who live in their roles: Souleymane Sy Savane playing a Senegalese expatriot taxi driver living in North Carolina - a man who exudes life, and Red West playing a man who is tired of life and has decided he wants to end his. The interplay - connections and disconnections - between the two characters had my attention riveted.

On my iPod - the video portion of St. Peter Street Serenade, a download-only album by the Preservation Hall Hot 4. The videos are "I Can't Give You Anything But Love," "Complicated Life," and "St. James Infirmary," sung by Clint Maedgen. I'm not sure how I feel about the addition of singer/saxophonist/modern vaudeville performer Maedgen to the main Preservation Hall touring band a few years ago. Musically, he's not the equal of the veteran New Orleans guys, but he adds a contemporary edge that I kind of like. And I think it's very cool that the current banjo player with the band is Carl LeBlanc, a New Orleanian who used to played guitar with Sun Ra.

What a ride huh Flurin? I've watched all the seasons through Five three times so far, and enjoy them each time through.

PS, as great as they look on dvd on Blu-Ray. . . WOW. Picture AND sound are amazing.

We'll stick to DVDs for a while...

Yes, a hell of a ride! I still have a hard time getting into the "mystical" aspects, like the black smoke monster crap, but as most of what happens CAN (but there's no need to if you don't want to) be explained rationally, I don't mind it much.

I watched episodes 13-16 yesterday, eight more to go, and then we'll continue together with Seasons 3 and 4 - the later is only half a season really, because of the writer's strike. Five isn't even out here yet - they're showing it on TV, but as we don't have any recorder and I'm not home on any given day for several months in a row, we'll just wait for the DVD... seems Season 6 had/has a rather good start as well!?

Oh, and I'm looking forward to Ana Lucia's disappearance from the series (seems her and Libby were thrown out for drug and driving under the influence and other issues, so they had to be shot, quite obviously :g )

I miss Ana Lucia and Libby. They both were good additions to the show in my estimation.

The new season has started. . .three episodes (two weeks, last week they aired two episodes back to back "as one") in. . . . Last night's had some unlikely scenarios that didn't exactly turn me on. But I'll watch every one they broadcast.

I watched a few episodes of Dragnet 1967 last night. What a hoot! I don't know if it holds up as a crime drama, but as a comedy, it's as good as it ever was! Just focusing on Harry Morgan's face during one of Jack Webb's monologues cracks me up.

I seem to remember people thinking the series was funny even back then.

Well, that's like real life insn't it? :) That's part of what I enjoy about this show, that it feels free to entertain . . . and to annoy. . . .Doesn't play it safe.

Anyway, this is the final season and I'm glad of it. They're quiting while they're still relatively "on."

This morning I watched the episode of Leverage I taped last night. Meh. And last week's "Caprica" again. That's an interesting show.

Edited by jazzbo

I'm aware that it's not going to change fundamentally, yes!

We continued up to episode four of season three.

What kept annoying me (though a bit less after a while) is that the weird sect (that's how I look at "the others" at this moment... some sort of semi-degenarate leftovers of whatever that "Dharma Initiative" was) keeps taking a big part of the screen time yet you're not told anything about them, and the three captureds don't seem to really ask many questions either... the scriptwriters probably have no idea themselves :)

I think the script writers had quite a clear idea, but were not revealing it. They are hellbent on keeping the mystery and questions intact. I agree it can be annoying, and I found that season to be the most annoying. But it's a fundamental part of the show's structure and even in this final season where they talk about "all the answers coming out" they're taking their sweet time, raising plenty of new questions.

I think the script writers had quite a clear idea, but were not revealing it. They are hellbent on keeping the mystery and questions intact. I agree it can be annoying, and I found that season to be the most annoying. But it's a fundamental part of the show's structure and even in this final season where they talk about "all the answers coming out" they're taking their sweet time, raising plenty of new questions.

Indeed,I thought last weeks episode into Kate's past was only mildly interesting. They are also piling on more and more layers of mumbo jumbo. I wonder if they really know what they are doing, I had doubts after last weeks show.

I think this all new "past" of the flight not crashing on the island is a red herring. I think the bomb both worked and did not work, but my guess is at the end the timeline of the plane not crashing is going to go away in the resolution of the Jacob-Former Locke struggle.

Just my guess. I'm ready for it to be over. . .this is definitely the season to end it.