What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two: the first ES Series Sony, the BDP-S2000 ES for the main system, and a BDP-S550 for the bedroom.

I would definitely recommend the BDP-S550 as it has been trouble free and has great DVD and Blu-Ray picture and sound. It's not the cheapest of the Sony players, they're about to release a cheaper model to replace the cheaper model they just discontinued. I've experienced two other players in people's homes, the cheaper Sony and a Panasonic. THey were fine, it's hard to tell for sure comparisons unless you are watching on your own system. I felt my Sony TV was better than either of the other two TVs these machines were in use with.

Here's the Sony page for the BDP-S550- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665368407 It looks as if that will be replaced soon as well with a BDP-S560.

Here's the Sony page for all their players: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ategoryId=27898

It always amazes me how real and lifelike the photography on the Twilight Zone is, particularly compared to shows from the seventies which seemed washed out and phony even at the time.

I agree, and the the black & white helped with the atmosphere of the show immeasurably.

There's one episode at least that's an exception, though. It's one of the late, hour-long episodes, which were generally inferior in story terms as well, but this was the one concerning a used-car dealer---he gets a car that somehow magically forces him to tell the truth as long as he owns it. Pretty lame premise, but it's the poor quality of the image that's always amazed me; it doesn't LOOK like The Twilight Zone. It takes place almost entirely on the used-car lot, which is supposed to be outdoors but is clearly filmed in a studio, with harsh, bad studio lighting that makes everything look phony, cheap and terrible. But more than that, the quality of the video is so poor it almost looks like a kinescope image, with those flaring blck halos everywhere. And yet they seem to repeat this episode on TV interminably; I can't tell you how many times I've noticed it over the last ten years or so. You'd think they'd want to bury it.

Don't overlook the Sony Play Station as a Blu-Ray option. I got the 80 gig. When I was doing my pre-purchase research, everything I read said it was the best player available. Plus, you get the gaming option, so on the off chance I ever get into video games, I'd be good to go.

Just so I don't stray too far off topic, I'm watching Niagra with Joseph Cotton, Jean Peters and a very young and quite attractive Marilyn Monroe.

Up over and out.

BBC Little Dorrit, episode one. Looks great up to now. The last adaptation, Oliver Twist, was a let down but Little Dorrit might just match the superb production of Bleak House. I can't wait to get stuck in. It also features the great character actress Judy Parfitt in a central role.

I've been reading that Playstations don't always function completely well with Blu-Rays, for example menus don't always "pop up" as they do on the dedicated players You can apparently get by with them, but it's not exactly the same thing. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

Last night watched "Flag of our Fathers." Eastwood is such a clear and focused director.

I watched "Letters From Iwo Jima" last night — "Flag" is on order.

I just watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," Sidney Lumet's last film (2007). As you watch it, you wonder what will happen. After you've watched it, you wonder what did happen. An interesting story with effective, fractured chronology, but it all comes together. Still want to know what happened to the Ethan Hawke character.

Last night watched "Flag of our Fathers." Eastwood is such a clear and focused director.

I just watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," Sidney Lumet's last film (2007). As you watch it, you wonder what will happen. After you've watched it, you wonder what did happen. An interesting story with effective, fractured chronology, but it all comes together. Still want to know what happened to the Ethan Hawke character.

All three of those films are excellent . The Lumet came out of nowhere, he'd had a string of undistinguished films prior to that, and hadn't made anything especially memorable since The Verdict (1982). Maybe he's been down to the crossroads.

Clint has made one great film after another over the last few years. I admire the way he made Iwo Jima, basically letting the cast do their thing without any Hollywood tinkering. The result is dead on authentic without a single mistep into cliche. Check out Gran Torino next, I think you'll enjoy it.

Watched Les Invincibles, a great local tv show which could be called Men behaving badly, the way the series is directed is quite brilliant. One of the characters is known as Rich the Bitch, think that name will remain a long time in our collective psyche.

Edited by Van Basten II

All three of those films are excellent . The Lumet came out of nowhere, he'd had a string of undistinguished films prior to that, and hadn't made anything especially memorable since The Verdict (1982). Maybe he's been down to the crossroads.

Clint has made one great film after another over the last few years. I admire the way he made Iwo Jima, basically letting the cast do their thing without any Hollywood tinkering. The result is dead on authentic without a single mistep into cliche. Check out Gran Torino next, I think you'll enjoy it.

Gran Torino is excellent. . .should have one the Oscar for best pic.

:alien:UFO Hunters :alien: Did you know the there is a seven level underground military base in Dulce, NM? That they conduct experiments on humans and aliens there? That in 1992, there was a big gun battle between humans and aliens that left at least 72 humans and aliens dead? Of course not, the government does not want you to know that! You are being watched...... Edited by Matthew

Watched "Life," "Lost," and the second episode of a new sitcom called "Better Off Ted." "Better Off Ted" shows some promise. For me Wednesday night is a crowded tv night! I'd watch "Lie to Me" as well if it somehow didn't seem to always conflict with one of my other Wednesday night shows.