What Are You Watching

pushingdaisies_s2_dvd-279x300.jpg

Pushing Daisies, Complete 2nd Season

I just completed watching the 2nd season of ABC's "Pushing Daisies" on DVD. This has to be one of the most original, creative, imaginative, visually stimulating, funny and surreal shows I've ever seen. It's a shame that it was cancelled. This show had a great cast and everyone shined in their roles but my favorite had to be Chi McBride as private investigator Emerson Cod. I was really surprised when I heard lead actress Anna Friel speak in the bonus features. She's British! I had never heard her speak outside of the show before and you'd never guess it from hearing her American "accent" on the show.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad Men....it's addictive.

Sure is! I'm digging through the second season DVD's and I caught the debut episode of season 3 Monday night.

I just wish the main characters weren't such assholes! I desperately want to really empathize with someone on that show, and can't. Just lots of male macho fantasy men, and some unhappy unwise women.

Actually, in a strange way I've found myself sympathizing (or at least understanding better) many of the characters as time has gone on. I think you don't necessarily have to "empathize" with characters to kind of "dig" them, if you get my drift.

For instance, Roger Sterling. In many ways the guy's a dick, but over time I started understanding where he was coming from at least, and lately I have to say I just plain like him. Why? Because he gets so damn many good lines, that's why.

Oh I know what you mean. . . .

I think its the chauvinism and the plain abuse of women that makes me dislike these people and not "dig" them. I've been seeing less severe examples of this all my life and despising it, and to see it glorified and glamorized by these punks just makes me unable to enjoy them. I'm beginning to despise them. I was just a kid during these years and I don't know how accurate this portrayal is. So I definitely enjoy some aspects of the series, and I think I'm beginning to enjoy despising these characters too. . . I keep watching (I got cable for the first time in my life last week, so got to see the premiere (which I though was weak) on broadcast; the other seasons I've watched on Blu-Ray.

I think its the chauvinism and the plain abuse of women that makes me dislike these people and not "dig" them. I've been seeing less severe examples of this all my life and despising it, and to see it glorified and glamorized by these punks just makes me unable to enjoy them. I'm beginning to despise them. I was just a kid during these years and I don't know how accurate this portrayal is. So I definitely enjoy some aspects of the series, and I think I'm beginning to enjoy despising these characters too. . . I keep watching (I got cable for the first time in my life last week, so got to see the premiere (which I though was weak) on broadcast; the other seasons I've watched on Blu-Ray.

I don't really think the male chauvinism on the series is "glorified and glamorized" at all...it's just a fact of life, which it was. Your mileage, as the kids say, may of course vary quite a bit.

The character I had the most problem with for a long time was Pete Campbell. He was the guy I "loved to hate." Such a pathetic douche...never more so when he was like a little boy trying to put on the grown-up shoes...which was most of the time. But I've even lightened up on him a bit lately. He can't help himself. (The douche...)

I don't really think the male chauvinism on the series is "glorified and glamorized" at all...it's just a fact of life, which it was. Your mileage, as the kids say, may of course vary quite a bit.

The character I had the most problem with for a long time was Pete Campbell. He was the guy I "loved to hate." Such a pathetic douche...never more so when he was like a little boy trying to put on the grown-up shoes...which was most of the time. But I've even lightened up on him a bit lately. He can't help himself. (The douche...)

Well, I just will agree to disagree. I detest Draper more and more and can't ever understand douche Campbell. And I've seen enough of this type of behavior in real life hurt women I know to just find it entertaining. I can't "dig" these characters.

Other things? Like using fraud . . . destroying his past? Causing his brother to commit suicide? Being a callous totally self-absorbed bastard to Menckenet al? I am sure your father is a better human being.

I think it's an excellently produced show. I just think that the characters are awful people. I wish they'd written a different story. . . I believe this is retroactive nostalgic overblown misrepresentation. I'm really disappointed because I want to be esctatic about this show.

Watching La Femme Nikita season one. Entertaining.

Edited by jazzbo

Other things? Like using fraud . . . destroying his past? Causing his brother to commit suicide? Being a callous totally self-absorbed bastard to Menckenet al? I am sure your father is a better human being.

He wore his hat in a very similar way...but let's just agree to disagree about this show.

NW: A very interesting tribute to Don Hewitt on 60 Minutes.

I watched most of that too (missed the first 10 minutes or so.) One tends to forget that if he hadn't created 60 Minutes he still would have had an amazing career. Weird how the giants of television history all seem to passing away at once.

Now watching Cash Cab.

Edited by BruceH

Scrubs: Season eight. The season is actually very good, I just wished they would have ended the series with the final episode here, and not gone on to a season nine. I have a feeling that it will be a disaster.

What the hell? How many times have they "almost" ended that show?

Watching La Femme Nikita season one. Entertaining.

If you haven't seen it, the original movie(with Ann Parillaud) is very good.

Yes I've seen that, and the US remake, and I didn't realize till watching the TV series how much of this was an inspiration and framework for Alias (which I like). Besson. . . when he's good he's VERY good.