What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been rewatching the latter part of Person Of Interest season 2.

The introduction of Ms Shaw and the reappearance of Ms Gross aka Root marks the start of the amazing story arc that leads into season three.

Great tv that puts a lot of films to shame, count me as a major fan.

5a5dc697e80c4270c29fdfdccbcbe497.jpg

I've been rewatching the latter part of Person Of Interest season 2.

The introduction of Ms Shaw and the reappearance of Ms Gross aka Root marks the start of the amazing story arc that leads into season three.

Great tv that puts a lot of films to shame, count me as a major fan.

5a5dc697e80c4270c29fdfdccbcbe497.jpg

Season 1 was a major struggle for me, but I loved the finale once Ms. Acker made her appearance...same goes for the beginning of season 2, totally gripping...then once she's gone I lost interest again. Here's the thing, I don't really like any of the characters except for her, makes it very hard to get into when she's not part of the story.

I'm a major fan too. Great cast and good tv writing. Looking forward to next season. They don't let it get stale!

+1. POI is perhaps the most purely entertaining show currently on TV. Watching season 3 at the moment. Unlike Shawn, I like all the major characters a lot, indeed Ms. Acker may be my least favourite.

Also watching Foyles War

They are showing seasons 1-5 on AXN Mystery and I find it to be brilliant TV.

The-Honourable-Woman-DVD-74756.jpg

'The Honourable Woman' finished last night. I still don't quite understand what happened but the whole series had me gripped. Completely flew in the face of the modern fashion for breathless drama with changing scenes every few seconds - lots of slow camera lingering, enigmatic statements and threads that don't start to make sense for a couple of episodes. And lots of questions left in your head.

I do hope it got some decent ratings so the BBC will take a few more risks - we've quite enough cookery and fly-on-the-school-wall programmes as it is.

Also programme 3/4 of:

e9383130e37f9c39f95a1743805799a5.jpg

A more traditional detective thing but again moves at a leisurely pace. I like the characters, the scenery is stunning and the weather is worse than Worksop.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The-Honourable-Woman-DVD-74756.jpg

'The Honourable Woman' finished last night. I still don't quite understand what happened but the whole series had me gripped. Completely flew in the face of the modern fashion for breathless drama with changing scenes every few seconds - lots of slow camera lingering, enigmatic statements and threads that don't start to make sense for a couple of episodes. And lots of questions left in your head.

I do hope it got some decent ratings so the BBC will take a few more risks - we've quite enough cookery and fly-on-the-school-wall programmes as it is.

Also programme 3/4 of:

e9383130e37f9c39f95a1743805799a5.jpg

A more traditional detective thing but again moves at a leisurely pace. I like the characters, the scenery is stunning and the weather is worse than Worksop.

I completely agree about The Honourable Woman, it was outstanding.

7934_INSIDE_LLEWYN_DAVIS.jpg

Can't say I cared for this. Rootless, feckless folk-singer adrift in a New York/Chicago winter. Loses a cat and finds the wrong one. Probably means something to film buffs but for me it dragged. Quite fun trying to work out who the performers were supposed to be - I think I spotted the Clancy Brothers towards the end and, obviously, Bobbo. Was the jazz junkie in the car meant to be someone specific?

The 50s/60s folk revival is very easy to caricature (can't recall the film that sent it up comically a few years back) - a lot of it sounds like middle class kids pretending to be hobos or fishermen now. But there was some marvellous and very influential music that came out of it. It deserves better.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Manhattan - on WGN, about the building of the atomic bomb.

Much better series than I thought it would be.

I couldn't get into it, the focus on security paranoia and interpersonal relations put me off. I was looking forward to some nuts and bolts physics, showing how it was done.

233421.jpg

Any one who was a youngster and saw this made-for-TV movie when it first aired some 40 years ago (such as myself) most assuredly had nightmares for a while afterwards. There were 3 stories in this anthology -- each featuring Karen Black in a different role -- the first two of which are rather tame and not at all terrifying. The final tale though, which featured that little Zuni fetish doll (depicted on the cover) which came to life and attacked Ms. Black's character, was genuinely terrifying. Even watching it today, it is both very scary and very absurd. That episode is a completely solo performance by Ms. Black and her work and the direction of Dan Curtis (creator of the TV series Dark Shadows) makes the story believable and viscerally frightening.

Manhattan - on WGN, about the building of the atomic bomb.

Much better series than I thought it would be.

I couldn't get into it, the focus on security paranoia and interpersonal relations put me off. I was looking forward to some nuts and bolts physics, showing how it was done.

Yea - but it's not a documentary.

Rewatched - State Of Play - BBC (2003)

51LEn4XHtgL.jpg

Excellent cast.

I loved that series. One of the rare ones I've watched twice.

dancing-on-the-edge.jpg

Just started this about a black British dance band in the 30s and am enjoying it. A bit stylised with somewhat stereotypical characters and I'm pretty sure they're using a late-30s/early 40s music style in the early 30s. But enjoyable.