What Are You Watching

Ok, but this would have been the first color and sound cartoon, then, correct? Albeit with a more primitive system, 1930.

I know next to nothing about this area, just enjoy watching, but apparently this Ub Iwerks guy who did Flip was working closely with Disney pretty early on, and left because he felt he wasn't getting his share of credit. These Flip things are pretty crazy stuff, really, and do very much have some of the characteristics of the early Disney work I've seen.

I wonder if that's Roger Kellaway playing the piano on the opening?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Flip the Frog, this one with the moral that people should practice birth control, but if they don't, then fathers should be allowed to kill their babies (once they learn to properly shoot a proper gun, that is), otherwise they'll end up being adopted by inept show-biz frogs practicing to be Tibetan monks, never learn any table manners, and life will be hell for everybody.

Still trying to figure out why Flip kinda faded into obscurity among general audiences. The message is universal.

The first couple of episodes of the recent 'Endeavour' series. Contrived plots and the main character overdoes the 'I've just had a brainwave' facial expressions but an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. I've got to the stage where when I'm in Oxford I hear Barrington Pheloung scores in my brain.

Also Ian Hislop's 'Olden Days' - episode 1 about the changing fortunes of Arthur and Alfred over the centuries in British perception. Popular historiography - the construction of the past, a subject dear to my heart. He'd have a field day with jazz....or music in general.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Also Ian Hislop's 'Olden Days' - episode 1 about the changing fortunes of Arthur and Alfred over the centuries in British perception. Popular historiography - the construction of the past, a subject dear to my heart. He'd have a field day with jazz....or music in general.

That was a very good programme ! Looking forward to Episode 2 tonight when he ponders the Victorian era.

That was a very good programme ! Looking forward to Episode 2 tonight when he ponders the Victorian era.

Watched that last night - very enjoyable. Though I'm not convinced that an obsession with re-imagining the past is a particularly English characteristic. He made the point about English law being based on precedent whilst elsewhere there is more of tendency to base it on reason (or what is considered to be reasonable at the time). I suspect it's more complicated than that.

Next week looks good - the invention of the English countryside. Though you know in advance what he's going to say.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

And manufactured folk traditions. There's a marvellous book by Richard Lewis called 'The Magic Spring'. No folky, he set off on a year's tour of England to investigate folk culture - ends up being very affectionate but unearthing no end of spurious traditions. Quite a few concocted by local councils as a tourist draw like the Marsden Cuckoo Day Festival which started right at the end of the 20thC.

I noticed the morris dancers on the trailer - a very easy target in the authenticity stakes.

• 2 weeks later...