What Are You Watching

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day. This is actually a very good DVD, that I'm enjoying immensely. Jimmy Page is great (love the Les Paul he's playing), Plant is singing in an age appropriate manner, not trying to recapture his youth, John Paul Jones & Jason Bonham work well together, and the music has aged very well. Digging it very much.

51rdjquGA2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day. This is actually a very good DVD, that I'm enjoying immensely. Jimmy Page is great (love the Les Paul he's playing), Plant is singing in an age appropriate manner, not trying to recapture his youth, John Paul Jones & Jason Bonham work well together, and the music has aged very well. Digging it very much.

51rdjquGA2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It thought it was excellent throughout. I was especially glad they dug out some of the mid-70s stuff like In My Time Of Dying, For Your Life, Trampled Under Foot and Nobody's Fault But Mine. That is my favorite period of Zeppelin.

'The Killing III' continue to hold my attention on TV.

I still can't work out what the heck is going on in that one...

Very nicely shot though, if you pardon my pun.

The clue lies in the patterns on the jumpers!

Apparently there are remakes planned in both the UK and the USA of 'The Bridge' - speculation as to where. The Channel Tunnel, the US Mexican border!

The good news is that a second non-Andorran series is due though not until next Autumn.

'Borgen' returns in January - another excellent bit of Nordic gloom and intrigue.

Just found Siesta complete on Youtube. As far as I know it's not been televised in the UK and I've never come across a dvd locally (not that I've looked very hard). Of interest because of the MIles soundtrack, A bit odd but worth a view.

101713.jpg

Thanks for the prompt on that one, John. Not seen this one myself either - although I have the soundtrack on vinyl. Still wanting to see the film of 'Dingo' too. Talk about elusive !

Just finished three hours of It Takes A Thief on Antenna TV. The last episode had a score by Benny Golson, and was more or less indistinguishable from the two episodes that preceded it (but they were also all good, as far as that kind of thing goes), although Golson's score did incorporate some very nice bass/percussion interplay during the "tense" moments. It's fun now to watch these shows and listen to the music first, with the actual action becoming secondary, imagining a conductor directing cues, listening for odd meters, differing instrumentation, that kind of thing. Come to think of it, this episode did have a few solo soprano sequences (all composed, nothing improvised), and that wasn't in the other two.

The best part of this episode, though, was watching Al Monday play his games with both Tina Louise & Mari Blanchard. Now that was distinctive!

Just found Siesta complete on Youtube. As far as I know it's not been televised in the UK and I've never come across a dvd locally (not that I've looked very hard). Of interest because of the MIles soundtrack, A bit odd but worth a view.

101713.jpg

Thanks for the prompt on that one, John. Not seen this one myself either - although I have the soundtrack on vinyl. Still wanting to see the film of 'Dingo' too. Talk about elusive !

Bob, If you have 2hrs 29m to spare you can watch Dingo on Youtube

Quite a while ago, I sprung for the Complete Get Smart set.* They are great for family viewing with the preteen set (teenagers would certainly find them too corny). We are doling them out roughly one episode an evening, though we miss every now and again. At this rate, it will take about 6 months to get through all of them! This was the days of 26-30 episodes a season. According to Wikipedia, it looks like the writers started spoofing specific films around season 3. I am quite intrigued that the very last episode is a spoof of I am Curious (Yellow). I have to really question whether they did anything more than make a play on words with the title, as it seems far-fetched that the audience for Get Smart would have seen this film, but I guess times were different then...

I may watch Curious (Yellow) a bit in advance of this episode, but the kids will not.

* This was originally $199, then it dropped to $105, which was what I purchased at, and of course it has now dropped to about $50. Had I known I wouldn't get around to the set for such a long time, I could have waited, but you never know. Theoretically, the set could have gone OOP and be costing over $200 now.

Edited by ejp626

101713.jpg

Bob, If you have 2hrs 29m to spare you can watch Dingo on Youtube

Yeah - thanks John - Just found it on there. Sounds like an epic !