The Gasoline Blues

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't think.

People think, they just don't think long term. I bought a Land Rover because I wanted my co-workers to think I was successful. Saving money on gas or car payments isn't going to get me anywhere. I can't take it with me! I need 8 cylinders and enough horsepower to get me through a shallow river, especially in the suburbs where the local government has the budget to keep the roads well paved. Not to mention the leather interior. These are all modern day necessities. You all are stuck in the past.

People don't think.

People think, they just don't think long term. I bought a Land Rover because I wanted my co-workers to think I was successful. Saving money on gas or car payments isn't going to get me anywhere. I can't take it with me! I need 8 cylinders and enough horsepower to get me through a shallow river, especially in the suburbs where the local government has the budget to keep the roads well paved. Not to mention the leather interior. These are all modern day necessities. You all are stuck in the past.

:lol:

People don't think.

:lol:

The funniest thing is seeing these huge behemoth SUV's brake over railroad tracks. What's wrong, buddy? I thought that Navigator can go over boulders the size of small cars... at least that's what the commercials portray!

The funniest thing is seeing these huge behemoth SUV's brake over railroad tracks. What's wrong, buddy? I thought that Navigator can go over boulders the size of small cars... at least that's what the commercials portray!

No kidding; anyone who brakes for railroad tracks in an SUV ought to have their liscence revoked!

Not much better in Canada. Today 86.5 cents/litre (86.5 x 3.79 [equivalent US gallon] = 3.28 cdn. At US exchange this is $3.99 US a gallon.

Thankfully my wife and I train it in to work - though that costs $390@month for both. Still far less than driving.

Not much better in Canada. Today 86.5 cents/litre (86.5 x 3.79 [equivalent US gallon] = 3.28 cdn. At US exchange this is $3.99 US a gallon.

Thankfully my wife and I train it in to work - though that costs $390@month for both. Still far less than driving.

I think you might have the exchange rate backwards--US$1=Canada $1.21, which would make gas ~US$2.70 a gallon, not $4. Still expensive.

Canada$390 a month for the train seems like a ton of money to me. I think the commuter rail in Boston is maybe US$100-130 a month, depending on how far out you live. (edit: turns out the most expensive commuter rail pass is $198 a month.)

Edited by Big Wheel

BW -

oops - lack of coffee, you are right on the math :o ass-backwards there.

I live in Oakville, west of Toronto. It's about 33 kms (20.5 miles - I know I got this one right) into the city each way. So say 66 kms per day. One fill up and a bit just to get to downtown Toronto, approx $54/week = $216 month in gas alone. Parking is about $20/day - if you are lucky about $300 month. Plus the aggrevation of a 1-1/2 hour drive not counting snow days. So its not that bad. I was working at home for the last 3 years up until a month ago, so I saved that extra $200 before. I get to read on the train, and I write about 2-3 longhand pages, so it's productive as well.

When I stayed with relatives in Rye NY I saw that the monthly fare using the MTA Metro North Train for an equivalent distance to GCS was $197US.

My wife & I are rather fortunate in that Bloomington's a relatively small city--we can get away with owning only one car, which is good both environmentally and financially speaking. I bike to work every day and she uses the car (her job's on the far east side of town; mine's on campus). The gas prices have hit us mostly for trips up to Indy to visit my dad.

Just cost me $52.93 to fill up ($2.29/gallon x 23 plus gallons). That's almost a four disc mosaic! :wacko:

THE KINKS- "A Gallon Of Gas"

I've been waiting for years to buy a brand new cadillac

But now that I've got one I want to send it right back

I can't afford the gas to fill my luxury limousine

But even if I had the dough no one's got no gasoline

I went to my local dealer to see if he could set me straight

He said there's a little gas going but I'd have to wait

But he offered some red hot speed and some really high grade hash

But a gallon of gas can't be purchased anywhere for any amount of cash

I can score you some coke and some grade one grass

But I can't get a gallon of gas

I've got some downers some speed all the drugs that you need