The Gasoline Blues

Bush has really bankrupted this country, I hope a Democrat gets in there and make it right again like they always do.

Ah yes, the Democrats, is there no problem they cannot solve??? Superman wishes he had the track record of Democrats! :excited:

I cannot wait til the Dems sock it to an American cartel like OPEC, and American companies such as British Petroleum, and Dutch Shell!!!

It took a Democrat to clean up after W's daddy, now it'll take a Democrat to clean up after Baby Bush.

By the way, this is kind of off topic, but what is the deal with some of these Republicans that still have Bush bumper stickers on their cars? Does anyone notice this or have seen this in their town? This really annoys me to no end.

Same deal as those that still sport Kerry or Gore stickers, no?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A former Saudi Oil Minister once said “The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil.”

It's probably true that given current technology and sources of energy there are "limits to growth", but I've never been convinced by Malthusian arguments like the one below. As the price of crude oil increases previously uneconomical sources of both oil and other energy become economical. R&D into alternative energy accelerates. Technology improves energy efficiency. Consumers and businesses alter their behavior to reduce energy consumption. In the short and medium run we'll have to undergo an "energy diet" (implying slower growth) but once this adjustment is complete economic growth will return to trend.

Guy

Veering into politics, but the view here is fairly apolitical.

Why Dems and Republicans Are Afraid of Two Words: Peak Oil

The pro-growth faction has reacted quickly and scathingly to the idea that there could be limits to growth.

Kelpie Wilson, TruthOut

May 22, 2008

I think the question is whether earlier investment in alternative energies, more efficient engines, etc would have reduced our dependance on petroleum for energy.

Yes, should have started working on it HARD back in the mid-70's as far as I'm concerned. But with the big oil companies lining the pockets of politicians for decades so they could protect their little energy monopoly...didn't happen. We're going to seriously regret it and sooner than we'd like.

Steam Engines weren't such a bad thing... :wacko:

I think it's important to keep in mind that investing in alternative energies, more efficient energies, etc is not a freebie - it has costs and there is some optimal balance between bearing these costs and bearing higher energy prices. That said, to lean on my "energy diet" analogy further, it is more comfortable to lose 50 lbs over the span of two years than all in one week.

Guy

Nah, that's more like "look at the alternate universe we SHOULD have had".

Yeah, if Gore had won, we would have $6 a gallon gas! :rolleyes:

Please.

The Gore put down is pure speculation at best and more blame the big scary Liberal at most. The reality is we do have a former oil man as president and we do pay in excess of $4.00 for a gallon of gas. The oil companies are whining incessently about wanting to drill in Alaska and not coincidentally the prices keep going up while they make abusively high billion dollar profits.

Which seems more real to you?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Nah, that's more like "look at the alternate universe we SHOULD have had".

Yeah, if Gore had won, we would have $6 a gallon gas! :rolleyes:

Perhaps.......but we would all be driving hybrids or some other alternatively fueled vehicles.

High priced gas is the only way there will be a sea change in the mentality of the car companies. It's already happening in Detroit.

• 2 weeks later...

"Very surprised. I didn't expect this at all here," says customer Rod Stasick. "Usually you go into a place and it has a lot of junk food and there's not any junk food in here at all."

You're famous!

Gas is hovering around $4.01 a gallon here in Lansing. So far it hasn't gotten above the $4.16 I paid getting back to Michigan from Indiana a few weeks back.

I had to rent a car last week, and all they had left were big ol' SUVs. Used to be you couldn't get one because they were in demand.

No so much any more, I guess!

Same thing happened to me last weekend. Took them 5 hours to find me a mid-size car.

Good news is it was a Nissan Altima Hybrid. I got down to LA [Playboy Jazz Festival; 230 miles from my house] and back on half a tank!